Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which Racing game is best on the PC?

Last response: in Video Games
March 28, 2008 4:03:58 PM

I use to be a big fan of Grand Turismo III and Forza Motorsport when they came out. I like the Simulator Racing type games but I have given up on consoles a great time ago and I would much rather play these games on the PC.

Anyone can recommend good racing titles similar to GT3 or Forza but for the PC?

P.S.: I own Dirt and I can't wait for "GRID" to come out!

Regards,

Alex

More about : racing game

March 28, 2008 4:10:54 PM

Your going to love Project Torque then... just google it for the website.

It's basically GT III but you have to & can only play it online against other players. MMO style.

Best part, 100% free or you have the option to buy AP points which in turn you can buy cars, upgrades etc..

no need to spend a dollar though to get hours and hours of fun out of it!

check it out

http://project-torque.aeriagames.com/
March 28, 2008 6:34:32 PM

Sadly the two titles I had the most fun with are no longer avaiable (I assume).

Arcadey fun - Need for Speed:High Stakes. I played that game to death for a few months.

Sim type - Rally Trophy. A little known European game that I played consistently for at least a year. Took a long time to get good at it but it was really rewarding.
Related resources
March 29, 2008 4:23:52 PM

I dowloaded and tryed Project Torque. It's a lot better than it seemed. Maybe the graphics aren't top notch but gameplay is pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else know good racing games?
March 30, 2008 2:20:24 AM

Flat out 1 or 2. You wont find better for arcadey gameplay. I have had endless hours of fun playing against the kids with this one.
March 30, 2008 11:16:51 AM

If you want a sim there's only GTR2 to go for.
March 30, 2008 3:43:50 PM

aziraphale said:
If you want a sim there's only GTR2 to go for.

Ya that's also one that I looked into...but I really like to take out a street car on the track like an RX-7 or a skyline out on the tracks. Good one thou...I might consider it if I get bored with the others.

*It's too bad the NFS series have became what they are today, I really liked the porsche edition and high stakes*
March 31, 2008 8:35:25 AM

I actually enjoy Test Drive Unlimited a lot. Well, I am not really a hard core racer and what I like about TDU is that it uses an actual Hawaii (?!) map. So I can just drive aimlessly from one end of the island to another. And it is like a multi-player game so from time to time I get to see "real player" behind their cars.

Though I must say, I usually get bullied by them. I guess road bullies exist everywhere - online and offline.
March 31, 2008 4:46:51 PM

I just bought TDU and it's quite fun. As imnotageek says, it gives you the option of just going for a leisurely cruise if you want. Sadly, there aren't that many people online and the servers can be a bit flaky. I also bought Race:The WTCC game, but I haven't had a chance to try that out properly yet.
March 31, 2008 4:51:38 PM

Why didn't I think of that, Test Drive Unlimited!!! haha thanks for reminding me this game exists lol.

ph33rgear: Dude, Project Torque is freggin addictive! It's free, based on a point system, and it's online exclusif. Thanks again for that recommendation. They have one of the best in-car views as well. Well done.

I really wanted to know about these titles because I've been debating weither it was worth it to get a steering wheel for the PC.
March 31, 2008 5:26:51 PM

You're in the position I was - I tried out the demo of Race and although fun, I found the gamepad annoying.

So I bought a £40 force feedback wheel (Logitech - I'm pleased with it) and the two games at £15 each. Have played TDU quite a bit (have explored all the map and reached "Champion" level") but have yet to go back to Race.
April 1, 2008 2:02:37 PM

llama_man said:
You're in the position I was - I tried out the demo of Race and although fun, I found the gamepad annoying.

So I bought a £40 force feedback wheel (Logitech - I'm pleased with it) and the two games at £15 each. Have played TDU quite a bit (have explored all the map and reached "Champion" level") but have yet to go back to Race.

Oooih, which Logitech wheel did you get, any problems so far? I am about to buy the Momo.
April 2, 2008 11:26:45 AM

Force Feedback EX. Seems to be OK. I didn't want to spend the £150 for the G25, since I'm unlikely to play driving games enough to justify that kind of money!
April 2, 2008 12:47:41 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Why didn't I think of that, Test Drive Unlimited!!! haha thanks for reminding me this game exists lol.

ph33rgear: Dude, Project Torque is freggin addictive! It's free, based on a point system, and it's online exclusif. Thanks again for that recommendation. They have one of the best in-car views as well. Well done.

I really wanted to know about these titles because I've been debating weither it was worth it to get a steering wheel for the PC.

yeah it sure is! I've done about 100 races in it so far :ouch: 

I'm at level C-IV which feels like it took forever to get too... your right the graphics aren't the best but the physics and gameplay well make up for it... some of the best in a racing game I have found. very realistic...

glad your enjoying it...everyone should try it out, I mean it is 100% free so you got nothing to loose.
April 2, 2008 3:39:56 PM

ph33rgear said:
yeah it sure is! I've done about 100 races in it so far :ouch: 

I'm at level C-IV which feels like it took forever to get too... your right the graphics aren't the best but the physics and gameplay well make up for it... some of the best in a racing game I have found. very realistic...

glad your enjoying it...everyone should try it out, I mean it is 100% free so you got nothing to loose.

Project Torque = Awesome Online Racing game. They really pulled it off although I kind'of disagree with the whole simluator thing...it's not that good. But they have lots of racing games such as regular VS racing, Capture the Flag, Thunderd race type, explore, etc. I just dropped 30$ to get an RX-7 but I'm a little disappointed so far as everyone kicks me out because I have a better car than they have :( 

Anyways, its worth a try for sure...quite addictive actually.
April 3, 2008 3:06:42 AM

TDU is the SHIZZNIT!!!

Dont get me wront i love F1, GT2 and all those games, but circut racing can get a little boring and too clinical.

You spend most ur time setting up your car for qualifying and racing.

TDU has such an awesome map too. Ohau Hawaii... the ENTIRE island.
The races are fkn GREAT too, the longest one is 200Km with traffic!

I only hope TDU2 is just as good.
April 3, 2008 8:02:55 AM

A good few years ago now there was a driving game released which really stood out from the crowd.

It was based upon the British Rally Championship with photorealistic actual stages (photorealistic for the day couldnt swear to how they hold up now) it had a good range or actual rally cars built in all to a similiar standard as the courses. Im not sure which version of the game it was I played there was one in 1997 and one in 2001 and I really couldnt narrow it down as to which I played, I would guess the 2001 version from my memory of which office I was in when I played it :D  I think the 2001 version was called mobil 1 rally championship.

Now the graphics were all superb for their day, but what really really stood out for me about this game was the driving experience, it was the most stunningly realistic driving experience Ive ever had in a game! I say this as a former championship leading rally driver myself!

Ive always enjoyed the car collecting side of gran turismo, and knowing how to effect the car with the suspension tuning etc to get what I want, but gran turismo has never given me the feeling of "reality" especially their off road stuff, which whilst very good fun never catches the real feel of being on a loose stage (despite the fact that I have a 120" screen, wheels pedals and a bucket seat and harness out of one of my old rally cars).

This game from a good few years ago really caught it perfectly! it was as harsh and unforgiving as the real thing it was as easy to put the car on its roof with overly heavy throttle use as the real thing it was as easy to get a corner wrong as the real thing. Beautiful. As an actual rally driver I appreciated a game that really caught just how flighty actual rallying is and just how easy it is to get so very wrong!

It was a game where the run of the mill full throttle and late breaking for corners just wasnt going to get you anywhere! Slight course adjustments precise throttle control and actual driving techniques were required to get anywhere fast! Even along the straight you could come to greif very easily, just like the real thing :D  in real rallying about 33% of starters dont finish the rally!

OF course this is all based on old memories but I know at the time I was ever so impressed with the reality of the driving experience, far more so than I have ever been by any other driving game Ive ever tried.

April 4, 2008 9:49:44 PM

Oh man i downloaded Project Tourque and im really enjoying it. If only i had tha G25 steering wheel. £150 but it looks sosososososososo good. I know that i cant justify spending money on it either, as there arent enough racing games for PC. I would love to use this on GT5 or forza2 but i dont have a ps3/360.

Are there any games which can fully use this wheel? I havnt seen many that allow clutch cotrol, asnd i really want a realistic racing game to play. Just the thought of racing with real clutch control :D  - Also would it be useable on consoles with the use of adapters?? (I also have an old Ps1 wheel i could find an adapter for xD, may keep me happy for a little while)
April 5, 2008 4:16:25 AM

tomdrum said:
Oh man i downloaded Project Tourque and im really enjoying it. If only i had tha G25 steering wheel. £150 but it looks sosososososososo good. I know that i cant justify spending money on it either, as there arent enough racing games for PC. I would love to use this on GT5 or forza2 but i dont have a ps3/360.

Are there any games which can fully use this wheel? I havnt seen many that allow clutch cotrol, asnd i really want a realistic racing game to play. Just the thought of racing with real clutch control :D  - Also would it be useable on consoles with the use of adapters?? (I also have an old Ps1 wheel i could find an adapter for xD, may keep me happy for a little while)

Project Torque certainly allow it...but on the PC, I don't think there are any other.
April 6, 2008 12:13:38 AM

I love both sim and arcade racing and really can't pick a favorite. An old favorite was Sports Car GT. For years it was my favorite racing game, a blast on the LAN. It doesn't seem to work right with Win XP SP2.

Others I have greatly enjoyed are Nascar 2003, F12002/GTR2002, GTR2, TDU, NFS (played all but the original but most liked Hot Pursuit 2, Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon) Flatout 1 & 2, and Insane. I bought Race07 and NFS pro street but have not really played them enough yet to comment. Currently most of my racing time would go toward TDU, Flatout 2, and NFS series, but I hope to get back into sims now that I bought a Playseats Evolution. (excellent chair IMO) See pic - http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5402/playseatsg25com...
April 6, 2008 11:39:48 AM

I really don't understand why people like TDU; The graphics are ****, sound sucks, it has an awful arcade feel even with all aids turned off, it has regular stutters and lags, it crashes every now and then and it just feels as if you were playing a console game. I really don't get it; I would give this game 3/10 points max...
April 6, 2008 12:08:51 PM

Nascar Racing 2003 Season has by far got to be the best PC racing game to date. But good luck buying it as it's close to $100 now for a copy :(  I own 2 :) 
April 6, 2008 5:20:02 PM

^ yeah what is up with that? Amazon used for $140. new $400-500. I just don't get it. Great game and I doubt I'd sell mine. But I sure wouldn't buy it for $100+ either.
April 6, 2008 8:17:13 PM

Test drive unlimited will keep you happy for months = )
April 6, 2008 8:22:52 PM

boonality said:
Nascar Racing 2003 Season has by far got to be the best PC racing game to date. But good luck buying it as it's close to $100 now for a copy :(  I own 2 :) 

????????????? :o  :na:  :heink: 

I saw a few copies of that game in a bargain bin a few years ago. Like $4.99 each.

WTF didn't I just buy them?!?!?!?!!?!?
April 8, 2008 3:12:39 AM

aziraphale said:
I really don't understand why people like TDU; The graphics are ****, sound sucks, it has an awful arcade feel even with all aids turned off, it has regular stutters and lags, it crashes every now and then and it just feels as if you were playing a console game. I really don't get it; I would give this game 3/10 points max...

Hmmm ... I thought the graphics is fine. I turn all my settings to the max and play on a widescreen format. The reflection on the car's body looks realistic enough. The building and scenery look good. And the blur effect of the objects near to me also look real enough to me. I have played TDU on PC for quite a while. The game never crashes on me once and it is smooth on my rather old rig. I have to say though, at some points I am stuck as my car has gone off track to some slopes and can't get out. Other than that, everything works fine.
April 8, 2008 12:16:59 PM

Ananan said:
????????????? :o  :na:  :heink: 

I saw a few copies of that game in a bargain bin a few years ago. Like $4.99 each.

WTF didn't I just buy them?!?!?!?!!?!?

Tell me about it, I have been wanting to set up a cluster of 8-10 PC's with NASCAR 2003 Season all connected over a switch in a kiosk or something and charge like $5 or $10 per person for a race. The customer can choose the gameplay (realistic or not), the damage, the track, the length of race, the rules to put in place, and even tune their own setup with a 60 minute practice period before the race. I just wanted to do this for fun, just to break even, but with the game being over $100 a copy now and a computer to run it being about $500 a piece...ugh it's just a dream.
April 13, 2008 4:37:58 AM

Well, I finally placed an order today. I'm getting the Logitech G25 racing on the PC.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I wouldn't have been able to make that decision otherwise.

If anyone would like to comment on the Logitech G25, if you own one, then please go ahead.

Sincerely,

Alex
April 13, 2008 2:30:57 PM

The best racing game ever is Moto Racer
April 14, 2008 3:17:12 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Ya that's also one that I looked into...but I really like to take out a street car on the track like an RX-7 or a skyline out on the tracks. Good one thou...I might consider it if I get bored with the others.

*It's too bad the NFS series have became what they are today, I really liked the porsche edition and high stakes*

NFS: Pro Street does suck. And so did the newest one before that. But NFS: Most Wanted was pretty good. Free world roaming and random races and such. I used to love dodging the cops and then hitting the NOS right as I came to the road block. Man would they fly. Had some awesome movie like slow-mo crashes hehe.

But yea a lot of racing games have lost their touch. I would have to say the only thing I like about NFS now is the ability to customize the cars and thats about it.
April 14, 2008 10:36:38 PM

The replacement for Nascar2003 is now out, ARCA Sim Racing. Far better sim then Nascar2003 ever was. More setup adjustments, support for force feedback that really works. It's new and they have found some bugs but a patch is due out soon.
April 14, 2008 10:59:49 PM

Wouldn't it be a smart move for EA to bring the NFS series onto the circuit tracks?

Yes it involves additional fees because they would have to improve in-game physics (by a lot IMO) but with all the years of experience they have in developing racing games, I'm sure they could top games like Grand Turismo as well as the upcoming GRID, while making a profit.

My 2 cents.
April 15, 2008 12:14:28 AM

Biggest thing that sucked about NFS:Carbon IMO was no LAN play. Same goes for TDU though.
April 15, 2008 12:19:18 AM

^ Alex, ever play ea's Sports car GT? IMO that game was much better than the NFS series of it's day. We had so many LAN parties playing that game. And the community made street cars and tracks were super nice.
April 15, 2008 5:06:30 AM

EA could do that but thats the smart thing to do.

The one thing about the NFS:Most wanted series I enjoyed was the customization and the RX-7, love that car to death.

But maybe EA has something up their sleeve. Then again NFS was always about top end street cars and street racing so a NFS circuit would kinda defeat the point IMO.
April 15, 2008 8:00:14 AM

stoner133 said:
The replacement for Nascar2003 is now out, ARCA Sim Racing. Far better sim then Nascar2003 ever was. More setup adjustments, support for force feedback that really works. It's new and they have found some bugs but a patch is due out soon.

I am a HUUUGGGEEEE racing sim fan and still loyaly play NR2003 regularly.... you better not be teasing me. I'm hitting the net right now LOL
April 15, 2008 11:50:03 PM

pauldh said:
^ Alex, ever play ea's Sports car GT? IMO that game was much better than the NFS series of it's day. We had so many LAN parties playing that game. And the community made street cars and tracks were super nice.

Sports Car GT looked like a good game but is now very old. Too bad i missed out on this title thou.
April 17, 2008 12:16:52 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but give Trackmania Nations Forever a try. It is FREE and was brought to my attention by Fudzilla today. http://www.focus-home.fr/trackmania/index.php?lang=en&r...

Currently not too bad DL speeds either. Started about 650 KB/s but had climbed to just under 1MB/s by the end. I didn't expect that for free either.
April 17, 2008 2:36:42 PM

I acquired a trackmania disk out of some video cards that we ordered. I haven't installed it yet though. I might have to give that a whirl tonight. I did go ahead and order race 07 though, it was $12 on amazon about a week ago with free shipping... i couldn't beat it with a stick.
April 30, 2008 2:05:04 PM

I played Sports Car GT back in the day. Classic game in my opinion. Rfactor is allright but it just doesnt have the same feel to me. I guess Rfactor was made more for modding then was Sports Car GT so...

I dont think any racing game has come close to the fun I had with Sports Car GT. There just seems to be something missing. SCGT seemed to be a lot more rewarding for winning a race. The ai drove well enough that upgrading your car was actually worth it.
July 12, 2011 5:09:08 AM

Why can't anyone beat Gran Turismo?

Wee all need Gran Turismo for PC.

Why cant the chinese imitate it?

D@rn!

We cannot modify cars in GTR 2.
Anonymous
July 19, 2011 11:14:13 PM

If this is the game I played back when I was a teen, it could well be 'Network Q RAC Rally' or something similar? I think we used to call it Network Q

dtq said:
A good few years ago now there was a driving game released which really stood out from the crowd.

It was based upon the British Rally Championship with photorealistic actual stages (photorealistic for the day couldnt swear to how they hold up now) it had a good range or actual rally cars built in all to a similiar standard as the courses. Im not sure which version of the game it was I played there was one in 1997 and one in 2001 and I really couldnt narrow it down as to which I played, I would guess the 2001 version from my memory of which office I was in when I played it :D  I think the 2001 version was called mobil 1 rally championship.

Now the graphics were all superb for their day, but what really really stood out for me about this game was the driving experience, it was the most stunningly realistic driving experience Ive ever had in a game! I say this as a former championship leading rally driver myself!

Ive always enjoyed the car collecting side of gran turismo, and knowing how to effect the car with the suspension tuning etc to get what I want, but gran turismo has never given me the feeling of "reality" especially their off road stuff, which whilst very good fun never catches the real feel of being on a loose stage (despite the fact that I have a 120" screen, wheels pedals and a bucket seat and harness out of one of my old rally cars).

This game from a good few years ago really caught it perfectly! it was as harsh and unforgiving as the real thing it was as easy to put the car on its roof with overly heavy throttle use as the real thing it was as easy to get a corner wrong as the real thing. Beautiful. As an actual rally driver I appreciated a game that really caught just how flighty actual rallying is and just how easy it is to get so very wrong!

It was a game where the run of the mill full throttle and late breaking for corners just wasnt going to get you anywhere! Slight course adjustments precise throttle control and actual driving techniques were required to get anywhere fast! Even along the straight you could come to greif very easily, just like the real thing :D  in real rallying about 33% of starters dont finish the rally!

OF course this is all based on old memories but I know at the time I was ever so impressed with the reality of the driving experience, far more so than I have ever been by any other driving game Ive ever tried.

July 20, 2011 3:44:40 AM

rfactor
July 20, 2011 5:52:40 AM

Best Racing Games,.....Well as a sim fan I find the following very satisfying;

F1 2010 - as a F1 fan the realism in codemasters 2010 game is by and large as close to Formula one a game has come, I await on pre-order the F1 2011 game which is said to correct errors as well as improve the racing experience bringing F1 as close to fans as it can get.........Lets be serious, If it is not Formula One, it is not racing.

NFS Shift 1 and 2 - Non EA title which has transformed NFS from Arcade style racing and drifting to more realistic tweak and grind of of stock car racing, of all the NFS titles apart from maybe Porsche Unleashed in 2000, Shift 1 and 2 give you the closest sim feeling along with the frustrations that go with it......a very worthy buy.

Ferrari Acadamy Driver - what it lacks in content it makes up in realism, the game is quintesentially a testing at Marinello for new prototypes for Ferrari Formula One,....essentially you are just a test driver, but from hearsay is a good platform to learn how to race open wheel class.

Grand Prix 4 - It is an older title but is a very good Formula One simulation for the time 2006-2007, it does give you more setup and tweaking options than Codemasters F1 Simulation which is more fun, and does give you a realistic feeling to racing, though it is now more worthwhile to get F1 2011 game with DRS and KERS being part of it.

DIRT - Best off road simulation period.
July 20, 2011 3:14:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!