Watchiing dvd's on the computer

I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer. I need
something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player. Any suggestions?
I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on either. I have XP
Pro on my unit.
11 answers Last reply
More about watchiing computer

    Power DVD from CyberLink. Try the free trial on this link and see if it's
    what you need.

    Alan

    http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp

    "cashdeskmac" <cashdeskmac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Power DVD from CyberLink. Try the free trial on this link and see if it's
    > what you need.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp
    >
    > "betsyb" wrote:
    >
    >> I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer. I need
    >> something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >> I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on either. I have
    >> XP
    >> Pro on my unit.

    That is a tad more complicated than I can handle. I will have my kid look at
    it for me. But thanks for the suggestion.

    betsyb wrote:
    > That is a tad more complicated than I can handle. I will have my kid
    > look at it for me. But thanks for the suggestion.

    Downloading and installing and using software is too complicated? heh

    Essentially that is all you would be doing. The other option is to go to a
    software store and look for the product (like PowerDVD, etc) that plays
    DVDs. You could also perform a Google search for DVD player software.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan, no need for the sarcastic comments. Not everyone was born knowing
    everything about computers. They were very daunting when I was first
    introduced to them a couple of years ago but I got a lot of help on this
    site. Please don't put others off the idea of returning to this site by
    belittling them. It's very demeaning.

    betsyb, I use the Power DVD software and find it an excellent way to enjoy
    DVD's, as I don't have a working DVD player. However, you can type "DVD
    player software" into your search bar and then look for other makes. If you
    are having any problems downloading programs or installing them, leave a
    message here and I will give you my e-mail address. I will help you with the
    installation process and any other problems you have.

    Alan

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > betsyb wrote:
    > > I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer.
    > > I need something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on either. I
    > > have XP Pro on my unit.
    >
    > cashdeskmac wrote:
    > > Power DVD from CyberLink. Try the free trial on this link and see
    > > if it's what you need.
    > > http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp
    >
    > betsyb wrote:
    > > That is a tad more complicated than I can handle. I will have my kid
    > > look at it for me. But thanks for the suggestion.
    >

    > Downloading and installing and using software is too complicated? heh
    >
    > Essentially that is all you would be doing. The other option is to go to a
    > software store and look for the product (like PowerDVD, etc) that plays
    > DVDs. You could also perform a Google search for DVD player software.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Yes, I will be 66 in a few days am just now learning about computers. We
    didn't have the advantages like you kids do, growing up.
    Like you said,

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > betsyb wrote:
    >> I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer.
    >> I need something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on either. I
    >> have XP Pro on my unit.
    >
    > cashdeskmac wrote:
    >> Power DVD from CyberLink. Try the free trial on this link and see
    >> if it's what you need.
    >> http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp
    >
    > betsyb wrote:
    >> That is a tad more complicated than I can handle. I will have my kid
    >> look at it for me. But thanks for the suggestion.
    >

    > Downloading and installing and using software is too complicated? heh
    >
    > Essentially that is all you would be doing. The other option is to go to
    > a software store and look for the product (like PowerDVD, etc) that plays
    > DVDs. You could also perform a Google search for DVD player software.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Thankyou very much. I will holler soon as I am mentally ready for this
    challenge. and it really is.
    > Shenan, no need for the sarcastic comments. Not everyone was born knowing
    > everything about computers. They were very daunting when I was first
    > introduced to them a couple of years ago but I got a lot of help on this
    > site. Please don't put others off the idea of returning to this site by
    > belittling them. It's very demeaning.
    >
    > betsyb, I use the Power DVD software and find it an excellent way to enjoy
    > DVD's, as I don't have a working DVD player. However, you can type "DVD
    > player software" into your search bar and then look for other makes. If
    > you
    > are having any problems downloading programs or installing them, leave a
    > message here and I will give you my e-mail address. I will help you with
    > the
    > installation process and any other problems you have.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> betsyb wrote:
    >> > I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer.
    >> > I need something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player.
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on either. I
    >> > have XP Pro on my unit.
    >>
    >> cashdeskmac wrote:
    >> > Power DVD from CyberLink. Try the free trial on this link and see
    >> > if it's what you need.
    >> > http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/download.jsp
    >>
    >> betsyb wrote:
    >> > That is a tad more complicated than I can handle. I will have my kid
    >> > look at it for me. But thanks for the suggestion.
    >>

    >> Downloading and installing and using software is too complicated? heh
    >>
    >> Essentially that is all you would be doing. The other option is to go to
    >> software store and look for the product (like PowerDVD, etc) that plays
    >> DVDs. You could also perform a Google search for DVD player software.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    I came to realise that it's still much better to watch DVD on your TV,
    especially if you have a large, flat screen monitor hooked up with DTS
    receiver and a more recent surround sound system.

    --
    Hoa
    anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.

    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
    Benjamin Franklin

    betsyb wrote:
    > Yes, I will be 66 in a few days am just now learning about computers.
    > We didn't have the advantages like you kids do, growing up.
    > Like you said,

    You assume much about my age...

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    cashdeskmac wrote:
    > Shenan, no need for the sarcastic comments. Not everyone was born
    > knowing everything about computers. They were very daunting when I
    > was first introduced to them a couple of years ago but I got a lot of
    > help on this site. Please don't put others off the idea of returning
    > to this site by belittling them. It's very demeaning.

    I said nothing demeaning. I pointed out what was already inferred.
    If you think what I said was demeaning, you need to read a little more on
    the newsgroups and find those that would have said some VERY nasty things to
    our friend here - in not-so-nice language.

    I pointed out the same information as you did. However, here is some
    further reading and direct links to the various products out there. Media
    Player 10 and Zoom Player are your two completely FREE options. PowerDVD
    and WinDVD are the defacto standards out there - in other words - what comes
    with most new PCs these days in reduced versions.

    Using Media Player 10 to Play DVDs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmediaplayer/getstarted/play.mspx

    Zoom Player Standard (Free):
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/978385825/1

    Various DVD Playback Articles:
    http://www.inmatrix.com/articles.shtml

    WinDVD (Free Trial Download):
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Downloads.jsp

    PowerDVD (Free Trial Download):
    http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/download/dl_file_new.jsp?dl_id=1&ProdId=28

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "betsyb"
    > Thankyou very much. I will holler soon as I am mentally ready

    There is also the possibility that the DVDs were damaged. I don't think
    that installing a new DVD viewer program is going to change your
    computer's ability to read a damaged DVD.

    I would suggest using the computer for a while to see how it behaves.

    Some individual DVD units seem to work better than others. If your
    computer has trouble playing DVDs that apperat to be in good condition,
    it may be worth swapping the DVD unit in your PC for another unit.

    betsyb wrote:
    > I am very new to computers and want to watch dvd's on my computer. I
    > need something better than Windiws Media Player and Real player. Any
    > suggestions? I rented three from Blockbuster and only 2 would play on
    > either. I have XP Pro on my unit.

    Betsy, if your computer could only play 2 DVDs out of 3 rented, I'd suggest
    the problem might be either with the DVDs themselves, or with the DVD drive
    on your computer. The software that comes with Windows Media Player and Real
    Player is not as fancy as the alternatives but its perfectly good at the
    basics of just playing a DVD.

    Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP for servers & security
    Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html

    Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

DVD Microsoft Computers Media Player Windows XP