Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro and Windows augtomatically
installed SP2, now I get an "alert" that "IP
Configuration Utility is trying to access the Internet"
every time I boot up. Zone Alarm has no information on
this item, and I cannot find anything on my computer that
sounds anything like it. Can anyone tell me what this
is, and whether it should be allowed access? [I am just
a senior citizen using a home computer for some personal
things and really do not want to become an "expert" in
any of this stuff.) Thanks in advance for a simple
response.

Hey Don,

I was told that you should uninstall Zone Alarm because SP2 has a built-in
firewall now. If that doesn't work, you might want to try restore your
system to a previous restore point before you updated to SP2.

I'm not sure if that helps, but keep posting someone else might be able to
help more.

Take Care,

Sean

"Don" wrote:

> I upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro and Windows augtomatically
> installed SP2, now I get an "alert" that "IP
> Configuration Utility is trying to access the Internet"
> every time I boot up. Zone Alarm has no information on
> this item, and I cannot find anything on my computer that
> sounds anything like it. Can anyone tell me what this
> is, and whether it should be allowed access? [I am just
> a senior citizen using a home computer for some personal
> things and really do not want to become an "expert" in
> any of this stuff.) Thanks in advance for a simple
> response.

cool

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004

windows xp firewall is a farce.
i suppose your isp has a program running on your system. it
will from time to time "refresh" your internet address.
run zonealarm and turn off the security center warnings.
(it's for kids)
and for your safety of your files, download and run spybot
from safer-networking.org and clean your system of
spyware.it is free

the firewalls, as they may be in conflict with each
other.

Thank you. I guess I did not make myself clear. I did
turn off XP's firewall so I have only Zone Alarm. My
question is "Does anyone know what the 'IP Configuration
Utility' is and what it relates to?" I have simply
denied it access to the Internet, but do not know what it
is or what it relates to. I unfortunately use a dialup
modem connection and my ISP is AOL. I have a spyware
program and have used it often to clear out that junk.
Thanks for your response. Don

Thank you for your response. I did not make my question
clear I guess; I am not disturbed by the warnings as I
have simply denied access and moved on. I am wondering
if anyone knows just what the IP Configuration Utility
is, and what is its source, so I could decide if I should
permit access or try to eliminate it from my computer. I
have run a spyware program for a year or more.
Unfortunately, as a senior citizen I am still tied to a
dialup modem and using AOL as my ISP provider. Thanks
again for your response. Don

Look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;117662