Sign in with
Your question

Can someone recomend a good game for pc?

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2008 9:57:41 PM

I like to play shooter (FPS) and rpg/mmorpg games, got crysis it was ok played bf2 and bf2142 loved it, played bioshock demo was pretty cool, tried witcher demo was ok, played wow got old fast (was awesome at start though).
Played Gunz and soldier front they are really good for free shooting games (alot of hackers though). I have played warcraft III for like 3 years now, now im bored and want a new game.

Any cool game recommendations?

More about : recomend good game

March 29, 2008 10:19:14 PM

ORANGE BOX: 5 of the best fps games in existence for $50.
March 30, 2008 1:48:04 AM

Half life sucked.... team fortress looks cool though.
Related resources
March 30, 2008 2:21:36 AM

ever play "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas"? It's got RPG and FPS elements, and also it is sort of a driving simulation game. It has missions and stuff to do to build up your character, or you can just go and run over cops and old ladies and avoid capture, or drive out into the country and do 360 degree jumps on a dirt bike. The vehicles that you can steal or carjack are pretty cool -- everything from a BMX bike to a Firetruck.
March 30, 2008 2:38:38 AM

i have played vice city was really good, but meh san andreas doesnt sound good at all, idk why
March 30, 2008 10:31:06 AM

I recommend Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Yeah, it's a bit old, but it's got the FPS elements as well as RPG ones, and you get to be a vampire! What's cooler than that (besides pirates and ninjas)? I'm playing it now and really enjoying it.
March 30, 2008 1:39:37 PM

Yeah, VTM: Bloodlines is a good game. It's kinda like a blend of FPS and 3rd Person. The game switches to 3rd person mode during melee combat, meaning when you are not shooting a gun. There are multiple endings and depending on what vampire clan you choose, your character will have different powers.

I'm waiting for The Witcher 2.0 to come out.
March 30, 2008 2:20:05 PM

I second The Orange Box. That has to be one of the best value packages ever released and will give you lots of different kinds of games. You're bound to find something you really like in there.

You might also look into Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It's a bit old (came out in 2004) but the graphics were great at the time, still looks pretty darn good. It's mostly a shooter, but it has a very small RPG element as well. It also has some great action sequences. It is even easier to recommend because of the fact that you can purchase a used copy for well under ten dollars.

Not sure about this as much, but have you played Oblivion? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a tremendous amount of game for the money, and it's very well polished. You might look into that (play the demo or a friend's copy before buying).

If you have even a passing interest in World War II shooters, you should also look into the Brothers in Arms series. Again, used copies should be found for very cheap, and the authenticity and grittiness really makes these games enjoyable.

One last recommendation; the Jedi Knight Series. They are actually decent, albeit unrealistic shooters. Add that to the crazy fun you can have with the force and lightsabers, and you have yourself a game! This is another title that can probably be found used for less than five bucks, so give it a shot if you are at all interested in star wars.

That's all for now, good luck in your search!
March 30, 2008 3:26:45 PM

Well i ended up buying CoD4 on steam, played the demo didnt like it that much, played CoD2 and loved it, oh well i think the multiplayer will be awesome.
March 30, 2008 3:37:45 PM

and before you ask why, its because im an idiot/risk taker
March 30, 2008 4:16:27 PM

chaosgs said:
and before you ask why, its because im an idiot/risk taker

lol, good logical explanation. :pt1cable: 

should be a good choice and keep you occupied for a while...the multiplayer is supposed to be great!
March 30, 2008 4:27:52 PM

it IS
March 31, 2008 12:23:27 AM

chaosgs said:

GO DIE
March 31, 2008 12:32:44 AM

Half Life 2 and the episodes, Bioshock, F.E.A.R., Far Cry, CoD4, Frontlines:Fuel of War, Portal, Quake 4, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 3

And Half Life does not suck that's the most ridiculous thing a PC gamer can say...
March 31, 2008 2:01:44 AM

If you are into FPSs, try the orange box. It sounds like TF2 is exactly your style and Portal is a must play for anyone into PC gaming.

For RTSs, give Sins of a Solar Empire a whirl. It is slower and more strategic than most, but it is great fun.

For RPGs, Mass Effect is coming to the PC soon. I cannot recommend this game enough. I already own it on the 360 and I am still considering getting the PC version for the interface enhancements.
March 31, 2008 2:14:54 AM

infornography42 said:
If you are into FPSs, try the orange box. It sounds like TF2 is exactly your style and Portal is a must play for anyone into PC gaming.

For RTSs, give Sins of a Solar Empire a whirl. It is slower and more strategic than most, but it is great fun.

For RPGs, Mass Effect is coming to the PC soon. I cannot recommend this game enough. I already own it on the 360 and I am still considering getting the PC version for the interface enhancements.

I second all of those fine titles, especially Mass Effect if you're an RPG fan, and nominate one other if you're into RTS games: World in Conflict. A great and somewhat overlooked game.
March 31, 2008 10:02:49 AM

chaosgs said:

From a man who played and loved Battlefield 2 I can't say I'm surprised you think Half Life sucked. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

Although I didn't like Bioshock you say you did enjoy the demo.........I suggest you go out and buy Bioshock, reviewers have raved about it and has racked up some impressive scores (I can't say I agree with them). If you want something more action orientated Call of Duty 4, or if you want a game that doesn't require you to think to much Rainbow Six Vegas.
March 31, 2008 5:49:15 PM

Yep half life was the worst fps game i ever played, Gunz of of ijji.com was so much better than half life you guys should try it, i got cod4 and wow omg it is so good, its alot like cod2 to me, i loved and still love cod2.
April 1, 2008 1:41:53 AM

chaosgs said:
Yep half life was the worst fps game i ever played, Gunz of of ijji.com was so much better than half life you guys should try it, i got cod4 and wow omg it is so good, its alot like cod2 to me, i loved and still love cod2.

1. We mean half life 2, I hope you're not ranting about the original
2. Have you played all the way through it, episode 1 and 2?
3. Do you care at all about plot, or do u just like to blow stuff up?
4. If you want the latter from 3, then just go play some flash game with overexcessive gore. Try addictinggames.com.
April 1, 2008 1:44:57 AM

on a more positive note, oblivion and morrowind are both excellent RPG's. I prefer Morrowind, but it lacks simple stuff like voice overs and decent AI and good graphics.
April 1, 2008 2:52:27 AM

tallguy1618 said:
1. We mean half life 2, I hope you're not ranting about the original
2. Have you played all the way through it, episode 1 and 2?
3. Do you care at all about plot, or do u just like to blow stuff up?
4. If you want the latter from 3, then just go play some flash game with overexcessive gore. Try addictinggames.com.

Since we all have our opinions, I'll voice mine...that the recent (source engine) installments of the Half Life series are some of my favorite games ever. Not only do they still look great at nearly four years old, but Valve is an outstanding developer in terms of pacing, gameplay, and story. To answer number 3 on your list, I do care about the plot, more so than almost any other video game I've played. The end of episode 2 was just incredible (in a sad way)...it was so close to being like a great action movie. Nobody does cinematic gameplay like valve.

On the flip side, the games are somewhat linear (at least compared to something like Crysis) and the gunplay is pretty unrealistic. And yeah, Episode 1 was a bit rough around the edges, but still really good. Whatever the case, the Orange Box includes not only these games, but Portal and Team Fortress 2...all for so cheap!! You really can't go wrong, so give it a try!

Needless to say, the number of people who would easily consider Half Life 2 to be "the worst fps game i've ever played" are in the infinitesimally small minority. But, different strokes for different folks right? ;)  I (and most people on this board) may not be the best person to recommend games to you if this is how you feel about the Half Life series.

April 1, 2008 10:33:21 PM

u should try devil may cry 3 ,

warriors oricho,

f.e.a.r,

and

s.t.a.l.k.e.r
April 2, 2008 11:15:56 AM

I would recommend Savage 2.
Type it in google and click on the first link that comes up. I think most of you guys will be somewhat impressed.
April 2, 2008 11:31:04 AM

My opinion of HL2 is that is was fun for a while, but the pacing was screwed.

That said I am not a fan of most FPSs. I like to take my time with a game and have real lulls in the actions where I can catch my breath, maybe poke around with a couple things and talk to people. There really isn't any of that in HL2. There are a few moments of pause between long action sequences, but you don't really control when crap hits the fan from there and before I know it, crap is hitting the fan and I am running and gunning again before I've really gotten to catch my breath.

Also I have never been a fan of the strong silent type of main character. I'd rather my character have something that resembles a personality.

My complaints with HL2 really stem more from personal preferences than any real issues with the game, but it just isn't the kind of game I get into.
April 2, 2008 2:40:38 PM

infornography42 said:
Also I have never been a fan of the strong silent type of main character. I'd rather my character have something that resembles a personality.

wow...you must absolutely loathe gordon freeman then huh? :) 
April 4, 2008 11:59:00 PM

rayzor said:
wow...you must absolutely loathe gordon freeman then huh? :) 

Loathe? No. Loathing requires there to be something there that causes great disdain. I just didn't find him or his situation the least bit compelling. Even a cliched overdone stereotype like a wisecracking sharpshooter or whatever would have been enough to give him some character. The complete lack of apparent personality really left me kind of empty and unfulfilled.

I recognize that HL and HL2 were very very good at what they did, but I'm just not in the market for that type of game.
April 5, 2008 4:26:14 AM

I wanna hear Gordan bust out with "Let's kill these b****s" as he cocks a shotgun and strodes casually towards the enemy with his friends watching in awe.
April 5, 2008 6:53:49 AM

tallguy1618 said:
I wanna hear Gordan bust out with "Let's kill these b****s" as he cocks a shotgun and strodes casually towards the enemy with his friends watching in awe.

lol...yeah im waiting for that too. At the very end of the series, gordon's gonna burst out with a "TIME TO DIE M*********ERS!!!"
April 6, 2008 3:14:36 PM

idk if anyone cares to hear this but ifound a cool, free mmo called rappelz.
I think its pretty fun for being a free download. 3-d graphics and all that.
Id compare it to guild wars
April 6, 2008 3:22:49 PM

COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE !!! lol
April 7, 2008 2:26:40 AM

Have you tried out the mods for the games you already own? Most people don't realize this, but there is much, much more content available for moddable games than comes in the package.

Great mods for BF2 are Point of Existance 2, Project Reality, and Forgotten Hope. For BF2142, the best there is is First Strike (The BEST Star Wars game ever. Fantastic.). I recommend downloading ModJive, a program that lets you download and manage your mods all at once. A beautiful program. All of these are FREE. Trust me, they will give you plenty of weeks of entertainment.

If you have exhausted all of the mods (Although you can never get bored of Project Reality), get Half-Life 2. I bought it purely for the mods (I can't get enough of 'em), but I was surprised on how good (and long) the single player campaign is. It is the best FPS ever. No argument, it just is.
April 7, 2008 11:27:14 AM

Quote:
get Half-Life 2. I bought it purely for the mods (I can't get enough of 'em), but I was surprised on how good (and long) the single player campaign is. It is the best FPS ever. No argument, it just is.

Argument here. The honor of best FPS ever clearly goes to Deus Ex. Any belief to the contrary is simply a delusion. Now if you rank games based strongly on their modability, I can see citing HL2, but when I go out to name the best game of a genre of all time, I'm afraid I will have to insist on the game standing on it's own merits. In every regard except for graphics, Deus Ex beats HL2 hands down.
April 9, 2008 3:58:26 PM

I vote Orange Box for a nice list of FPS's. For an MMO I vote EVE online, but you must be capable of dealing with a suicidal learning curve and have patience, the 14-day trial is nothing more than a tease, more comparable to a pinhole of what it has to offer. If you want a fun oldschool shooter go find Blood1 or Blood 2 :The chosen, their a sort of comical FPS with lots of guns and fun, even comes with a somewhat tangible story.
April 9, 2008 9:54:14 PM

infornography42 said:
The honor of best FPS ever clearly goes to Deus Ex.

+1 on Deus Ex, I don't know how many times I have played through that game. As for a recommendation I have been playing BioShock and it has been pretty fun.
April 10, 2008 12:22:03 AM

Hard to beat HL2 and HL2 ep2. Orange Box +1. You simply can't compare HL2 and HL by current standards. Fear is another must play FPS.
April 10, 2008 12:55:28 AM

I've been playing the crap out of Stalker lately. I dunno, I bought it when it first came out and put 6 or 8 hours into the game but I just couldn't get into it.

Fired it back up a couple weeks ago from a lack of new games and I'm totally sucked in. I've beaten the main storyline up to the Chernobyl NPP and now I'm taking my time running around and doing side quests and just generally hanging out in the game world.

Really cool game. The prequel, Clear Sky, will be out next month. I can't wait.
April 10, 2008 3:00:53 PM

pauldh said:
Hard to beat HL2 and HL2 ep2. Orange Box +1. You simply can't compare HL2 and HL by current standards. Fear is another must play FPS.

Heh, funny you should mention HL2 to HL. I've beatin HL2, E1, E2 and then purchased the half life deluxe whatever edition(the one with the 2 small expansions) and beaten that. It was a hard pill to swollow visually and the game play really couldn't be compared to HL2, the AI in HL was either kill or be killed with the exception of the face hugger deals, even still, a few bites from them and you were ready to die. HL2 just felt more tactical, as a matter of fact I think I'm ready to play it again, this time on the 24"
April 10, 2008 4:50:51 PM

Quote:
You might look into that (play the demo or a friend's copy before buying).

Oblivion has a demo? I couldn't find one anywhere...
April 10, 2008 5:08:37 PM

physx7 said:
Quote:
You might look into that (play the demo or a friend's copy before buying).

Oblivion has a demo? I couldn't find one anywhere...

It's not the current oblivion, it was a couple years ago when this happened...
April 10, 2008 5:14:11 PM

Oh so there is no demo for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? So I guess the only way to see if you like it is to buy it. :( 
April 10, 2008 5:26:17 PM

physx7 said:
Oh so there is no demo for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? So I guess the only way to see if you like it is to buy it. :( 

You could demo it yourself through other means, but don't go to far without actually owning it.
April 10, 2008 9:32:58 PM

COD4: Modern Warfare!!!!!!!!!!

Unreal Tournament III!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASSASSIN'S CREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a few suggestions.
April 10, 2008 9:41:26 PM

sprucebr1 said:

ASSASSIN'S CREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a few suggestions.

Assassin's creed hasn't been released yet for pc has it?
April 11, 2008 12:28:28 AM

bildo123 said:
Heh, funny you should mention HL2 to HL. I've beatin HL2, E1, E2 and then purchased the half life deluxe whatever edition(the one with the 2 small expansions) and beaten that. It was a hard pill to swollow visually and the game play really couldn't be compared to HL2, the AI in HL was either kill or be killed with the exception of the face hugger deals, even still, a few bites from them and you were ready to die. HL2 just felt more tactical, as a matter of fact I think I'm ready to play it again, this time on the 24"

At least you finished them all. I had the HL GOTY edition and never quite finished it. It was good, but nowhere near HL2 IMO. And yes, I have gone back to HL again but just couldn't get myself to keep playing it as it visually is near painful. :) 
April 11, 2008 1:37:52 AM

Puzzlequest. Best game ever. seriously its like an rpg/puzzle game i was addicted to it and played it all the time till i beat it.
April 11, 2008 2:18:19 PM

thehelo said:
Puzzlequest. Best game ever. seriously its like an rpg/puzzle game i was addicted to it and played it all the time till i beat it.

yeah well how about, Bob The Builder Rides Again?
April 11, 2008 2:49:15 PM

Anybody remember Trespasser, it was a Jurassic Park game released back in 1998ish, it was the first like huge island simulator where you could walk for miles or go where ever and get chased by raptors and what not. Overall the game (back then) was a pretty cool experience, it even included some simple puzzles that required to to interact with the enviorment like stacking boxes or grabbing an actual key card, use it, throw it, crush it or whatever. The pace of the game I have to admit was a little slow and boring however. At the time I was playing it on a Compaq presario, AMD K6 350Mhz 4MB ATI radeon integrated graphics 128MB RAM, thats right baby having 128MB of RAM was awesome back then.
April 11, 2008 5:06:30 PM

bildo123 said:
At the time I was playing it on a Compaq presario, AMD K6 350Mhz 4MB ATI radeon integrated graphics 128MB RAM, thats right baby having 128MB of RAM was awesome back then.

Old computers give me the creeps..
April 11, 2008 11:11:00 PM

bildo123 said:
Anybody remember Trespasser, it was a Jurassic Park game released back in 1998ish, it was the first like huge island simulator where you could walk for miles or go where ever and get chased by raptors and what not. Overall the game (back then) was a pretty cool experience, it even included some simple puzzles that required to to interact with the enviorment like stacking boxes or grabbing an actual key card, use it, throw it, crush it or whatever.

Yes; it was a great concept but not well developed... the first game I'm aware of that tried to do real physics, but the physics engine didn't work well. It also suffered badly from being reviewed on 3dfx cards when it ran much better on anything that used an AGP bus due to the weird graphics engine; it crawled on 3dfx cards but ran well on even my TNT1.
!