Can someone recomend a good game for pc?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I like to play shooter (FPS) and rpg/mmorpg games, got crysis it was ok played bf2 and bf2142 loved it, played bioshock demo was pretty cool, tried witcher demo was ok, played wow got old fast (was awesome at start though).
Played Gunz and soldier front they are really good for free shooting games (alot of hackers though). I have played warcraft III for like 3 years now, now im bored and want a new game.

Any cool game recommendations?

gta_bmx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
ever play "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas"? It's got RPG and FPS elements, and also it is sort of a driving simulation game. It has missions and stuff to do to build up your character, or you can just go and run over cops and old ladies and avoid capture, or drive out into the country and do 360 degree jumps on a dirt bike. The vehicles that you can steal or carjack are pretty cool -- everything from a BMX bike to a Firetruck.

Truck Pilot

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I recommend Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Yeah, it's a bit old, but it's got the FPS elements as well as RPG ones, and you get to be a vampire! What's cooler than that (besides pirates and ninjas)? I'm playing it now and really enjoying it.

Yeah, VTM: Bloodlines is a good game. It's kinda like a blend of FPS and 3rd Person. The game switches to 3rd person mode during melee combat, meaning when you are not shooting a gun. There are multiple endings and depending on what vampire clan you choose, your character will have different powers.

I'm waiting for The Witcher 2.0 to come out.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I second The Orange Box. That has to be one of the best value packages ever released and will give you lots of different kinds of games. You're bound to find something you really like in there.

You might also look into Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It's a bit old (came out in 2004) but the graphics were great at the time, still looks pretty darn good. It's mostly a shooter, but it has a very small RPG element as well. It also has some great action sequences. It is even easier to recommend because of the fact that you can purchase a used copy for well under ten dollars.

Not sure about this as much, but have you played Oblivion? It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a tremendous amount of game for the money, and it's very well polished. You might look into that (play the demo or a friend's copy before buying).

If you have even a passing interest in World War II shooters, you should also look into the Brothers in Arms series. Again, used copies should be found for very cheap, and the authenticity and grittiness really makes these games enjoyable.

One last recommendation; the Jedi Knight Series. They are actually decent, albeit unrealistic shooters. Add that to the crazy fun you can have with the force and lightsabers, and you have yourself a game! This is another title that can probably be found used for less than five bucks, so give it a shot if you are at all interested in star wars.

That's all for now, good luck in your search!

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well i ended up buying CoD4 on steam, played the demo didnt like it that much, played CoD2 and loved it, oh well i think the multiplayer will be awesome.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004

lol, good logical explanation. :pt1cable:

should be a good choice and keep you occupied for a while...the multiplayer is supposed to be great!

ilikepcgames

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Half Life 2 and the episodes, Bioshock, F.E.A.R., Far Cry, CoD4, Frontlines:Fuel of War, Portal, Quake 4, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 3

And Half Life does not suck that's the most ridiculous thing a PC gamer can say...

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If you are into FPSs, try the orange box. It sounds like TF2 is exactly your style and Portal is a must play for anyone into PC gaming.

For RTSs, give Sins of a Solar Empire a whirl. It is slower and more strategic than most, but it is great fun.

For RPGs, Mass Effect is coming to the PC soon. I cannot recommend this game enough. I already own it on the 360 and I am still considering getting the PC version for the interface enhancements.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

I second all of those fine titles, especially Mass Effect if you're an RPG fan, and nominate one other if you're into RTS games: World in Conflict. A great and somewhat overlooked game.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

From a man who played and loved Battlefield 2 I can't say I'm surprised you think Half Life sucked. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

Although I didn't like Bioshock you say you did enjoy the demo.........I suggest you go out and buy Bioshock, reviewers have raved about it and has racked up some impressive scores (I can't say I agree with them). If you want something more action orientated Call of Duty 4, or if you want a game that doesn't require you to think to much Rainbow Six Vegas.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yep half life was the worst fps game i ever played, Gunz of of ijji.com was so much better than half life you guys should try it, i got cod4 and wow omg it is so good, its alot like cod2 to me, i loved and still love cod2.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

1. We mean half life 2, I hope you're not ranting about the original
2. Have you played all the way through it, episode 1 and 2?
3. Do you care at all about plot, or do u just like to blow stuff up?
4. If you want the latter from 3, then just go play some flash game with overexcessive gore. Try addictinggames.com.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
on a more positive note, oblivion and morrowind are both excellent RPG's. I prefer Morrowind, but it lacks simple stuff like voice overs and decent AI and good graphics.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004

Since we all have our opinions, I'll voice mine...that the recent (source engine) installments of the Half Life series are some of my favorite games ever. Not only do they still look great at nearly four years old, but Valve is an outstanding developer in terms of pacing, gameplay, and story. To answer number 3 on your list, I do care about the plot, more so than almost any other video game I've played. The end of episode 2 was just incredible (in a sad way)...it was so close to being like a great action movie. Nobody does cinematic gameplay like valve.

On the flip side, the games are somewhat linear (at least compared to something like Crysis) and the gunplay is pretty unrealistic. And yeah, Episode 1 was a bit rough around the edges, but still really good. Whatever the case, the Orange Box includes not only these games, but Portal and Team Fortress 2...all for so cheap!! You really can't go wrong, so give it a try!

Needless to say, the number of people who would easily consider Half Life 2 to be "the worst fps game i've ever played" are in the infinitesimally small minority. But, different strokes for different folks right? ;) I (and most people on this board) may not be the best person to recommend games to you if this is how you feel about the Half Life series.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
My opinion of HL2 is that is was fun for a while, but the pacing was screwed.

That said I am not a fan of most FPSs. I like to take my time with a game and have real lulls in the actions where I can catch my breath, maybe poke around with a couple things and talk to people. There really isn't any of that in HL2. There are a few moments of pause between long action sequences, but you don't really control when crap hits the fan from there and before I know it, crap is hitting the fan and I am running and gunning again before I've really gotten to catch my breath.

Also I have never been a fan of the strong silent type of main character. I'd rather my character have something that resembles a personality.

My complaints with HL2 really stem more from personal preferences than any real issues with the game, but it just isn't the kind of game I get into.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004

wow...you must absolutely loathe gordon freeman then huh? :)