I am using Microsoft Windows XP Internet Connection
Firewall. Is this adequate?? OR
do I need Norton or McAfee Firewall??

BB

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

XP's firewall is only good for protecting your PC from incoming traffic.
Some malware may be installed on your machine that wants to "call home' and
report your personal information. To prevent that from happening, you need a
firewall that protects both incoming and outgoing traffic on your machine.

I use ZoneAlarm "free", and have been using it for several years. Here is
the link for it.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

HTH, JAX

"Bob Bennett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Microsoft Windows XP Internet Connection
> Firewall. Is this adequate?? OR
> do I need Norton or McAfee Firewall??
>
> BB

xp firewall will only protect you from both of bill gates
worms that scan the net for unpatched computers.
oh and use spybot safer-networking.org to check your
system for bugs.

map

"Bob Bennett" wrote:

> I am using Microsoft Windows XP Internet Connection
> Firewall. Is this adequate?? OR
> do I need Norton or McAfee Firewall??
>
> BB

Here are some better ones and as a bonus there free!
I like Sygate myself.

Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

Not good enough. You can download free personal firewall from Zone Labs or
Sygate. Choose onky one for your PC.

--
Hoa
anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Bennett wrote:
> I am using Microsoft Windows XP Internet Connection
> Firewall. Is this adequate?? OR
> do I need Norton or McAfee Firewall??
>
> BB

WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: