5.8 phones and interference with wireless LANS

Our 2.4ghz wireless phone often causes our wireless PC connections to drop
and Linksys WAP11 has to be recycled. I am hoping to improve this with the
new 5.8ghz phones. But according to this article

<URL>http://telecom.hellodirect.com/docs/Tutorials/5.8GHzFrequency.1.031903.
asp</URL>

some of the newer 5.8ghz phones transmit base-to-handset on 5.8 but
handset-to-base on 2.4, to consume less power and extend battery life. It
seems fair to assume that phones that use this power-conservation approach
won't really improve things much for the wLAN. Is that right? Any phones
that transmit exclusively on 5.8? Anyone able to share specific product
experiences relating to this issue?

Thanks
Timo

The sure fire alternative is to go the other way; leave the phones in the
2.4 band and switch the wireless to the 5 gHz (802.11A) band. Unlike the 2.4
GHz band where you run into phones, and all sorts of unlicensed stuff, right
now there is in't anything else interfering on the 5GHz band. I had a
similar problem at home several years ago and solved it that way much to my
satisfaction.

"Timo" <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote in message
> Our 2.4ghz wireless phone often causes our wireless PC connections to drop
> and Linksys WAP11 has to be recycled. I am hoping to improve this with the
> new 5.8ghz phones. But according to this article

<URL>http://telecom.hellodirect.com/docs/Tutorials/5.8GHzFrequency.1.031903.
> asp</URL>
>
> some of the newer 5.8ghz phones transmit base-to-handset on 5.8 but
> handset-to-base on 2.4, to consume less power and extend battery life. It
> seems fair to assume that phones that use this power-conservation approach
> won't really improve things much for the wLAN. Is that right? Any phones
> that transmit exclusively on 5.8? Anyone able to share specific product
> experiences relating to this issue?
>
> Thanks
> Timo

"Timo" <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote in message
> Our 2.4ghz wireless phone often causes our wireless PC connections to drop
> and Linksys WAP11 has to be recycled. I am hoping to improve this with the
> new 5.8ghz phones. But according to this article

<URL>http://telecom.hellodirect.com/docs/Tutorials/5.8GHzFrequency.1.031903.
> asp</URL>
>
> some of the newer 5.8ghz phones transmit base-to-handset on 5.8 but
> handset-to-base on 2.4, to consume less power and extend battery life. It
> seems fair to assume that phones that use this power-conservation approach
> won't really improve things much for the wLAN. Is that right? Any phones
> that transmit exclusively on 5.8? Anyone able to share specific product
> experiences relating to this issue?

AFAIK, you can still buy 900 MHz cordless phones, and I've never had any
problem with them interfering with my wireless lan.

YMMV.

William
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hmm. The article refers to 802.11a as a new protocol, so this isn't very
recent. Which doesn't mean it isn't correct.

I hadn't read that handset->base could be 2.4. The easiest way to avoid the
issue is to look for a 900 Mhz phone. But before you shop for a new phone,
have you tried all options with your current 2.4 phone? It should
automatically seek a channel that is not busy, but it might be making a bad
choice. You can usually set the phone's channel manually. Combined with your
ability to configure the Linksys manually, you should be able to set the two
very far apart, and avoid the conflict.

If that doesn't work, and you can't find or don't want a 900 Mhz phone, I'd
buy a 5.8 Ghz phone from a place with a good return policy,

"Timo" <timo@anonymous.biz> wrote in message
> Our 2.4ghz wireless phone often causes our wireless PC connections to drop
> and Linksys WAP11 has to be recycled. I am hoping to improve this with the
> new 5.8ghz phones. But according to this article

<URL>http://telecom.hellodirect.com/docs/Tutorials/5.8GHzFrequency.1.031903.
> asp</URL>
>
> some of the newer 5.8ghz phones transmit base-to-handset on 5.8 but
> handset-to-base on 2.4, to consume less power and extend battery life. It
> seems fair to assume that phones that use this power-conservation approach
> won't really improve things much for the wLAN. Is that right? Any phones
> that transmit exclusively on 5.8? Anyone able to share specific product
> experiences relating to this issue?
>
> Thanks
> Timo

mseghers

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I had a Panasonic 5.8 phone system with 3 handsets and base. I could never figure out why the wireless computer network couldnt reach the kitchen, I thought it was the size of my house. Anything I had ever read stated that 5.8 would not interfere with wireless home networking. I tried everything to get the wireless to reach the kitchen (where our phone base was)... to no avail. I even got a repeater, which solved the signal weakness but seemed to introduce new conflicts.
For christmas, we got a new 6.0 phone system. Guess what, not only did the phone reach all corners of our house (something the old systrem could not), but NO MORE COMPUTER WIRELESS PROBLEMS. I am typing this note from the kitchen, with the repeater unplugged now, and I'm looking at 5 bars wireless signal, no conflict.
DONT BELIEVE 5.8 dont conflict with wireless LAN. Obviously, mine had. All the time wasted, and hassles... and nobody ever told me that was possible. Even technicians didn't consider that to be the problem. I feel foolish now that I never tried unplugging the stupid base station to diagnose... :-/