advice needed on SiS 648 mobos

cagemusic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
The reviews (motherboard.org, Toms, AnandTech) of many of the SiS 648 mobos are very positive, but then I read about many people having issues. For example, I have seen several articles raving about the Asus P4S8X, but forums like this are littered with complaints. The reviews of the P4S8X at motherboard.org and sharkys make it sound like an excellent board. Is it less stable or harder to setup than intel chipsets? What is the general consensus of this chipset? Thanks for the info.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It has problems with some video cards and some memory. I suggest the Gigabyte GA-8SG667 instead.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P4S333 board with the SiS 645DX chipset with a 1.6a Northwood clocked to 2.13 GHz. and Corsair XMS memory running at 333 MHz... It runs flawlessly and I've never had any complaint (except I can't keep 333 MHz. on the memory if I go over 133 FSB!)

When they went to the 648 chipset, they added a lot of features and some problems started turning up in the reviews. One of the funniest was the BIOS updates that dramatically reduced memory performance (Yikes). I think the chipset is fine, but the board manufactures are struggling with all of the new features. There have been so many new boards released lately, I'm surprised they can keep on top of things. Asus particularly has had some bad press lately on several of their boards.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Gigabyte board is good for overclocking, it should reach around 166MHz bus speed, and Anandtec tested it stable with 3 DDR400 (PC3200) DIMMs.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>