Unwanted taskbar and folders at start up

After start up I get the "my documents" folder opens up automatically. I
also get the "search assistant" and "quick launch" icons appear on my
taskbar. I have opened the taskbar conf. utility and deselected the settings
but they return at the next startup. I have also looked at msconf. file and
deselected anything that might be starting these files including the "my
documents" file at start up but they keep returning. Where else can I go to
change the start up settings to stop these files from loading each time?

What is msconf. ??

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:15506954-6AE1-465C-8932-FFD0E5B54200@microsoft.com,
Bob H <Bob H@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After start up I get the "my documents" folder opens up
> automatically. I also get the "search assistant" and "quick launch"
> icons appear on my taskbar. I have opened the taskbar conf. utility
> and deselected the settings but they return at the next startup. I
> have also looked at msconf. file and deselected anything that might
> be starting these files including the "my documents" file at start up
> but they keep returning. Where else can I go to change the start up
> settings to stop these files from loading each time?

"Microsoft Configuration" where the start up and ini files are.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> What is msconf. ??
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:15506954-6AE1-465C-8932-FFD0E5B54200@microsoft.com,
> Bob H <Bob H@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > After start up I get the "my documents" folder opens up
> > automatically. I also get the "search assistant" and "quick launch"
> > icons appear on my taskbar. I have opened the taskbar conf. utility
> > and deselected the settings but they return at the next startup. I
> > have also looked at msconf. file and deselected anything that might
> > be starting these files including the "my documents" file at start up
> > but they keep returning. Where else can I go to change the start up
> > settings to stop these files from loading each time?

map

"Bob H" wrote:

> After start up I get the "my documents" folder opens up automatically. I
> also get the "search assistant" and "quick launch" icons appear on my
> taskbar. I have opened the taskbar conf. utility and deselected the settings
> but they return at the next startup. I have also looked at msconf. file and
> deselected anything that might be starting these files including the "my
> documents" file at start up but they keep returning. Where else can I go to
> change the start up settings to stop these files from loading each time?

For the "my Doc" problem run the edit on line 255 rt side here:

For the search assistant trouble scan for scumware.

Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
stack from working (Internet connection).
Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
"imon.dll" this fix reports,That is your e/mail scanning engine.

YES-You need more than 1 malware program,I use all of these.
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
Hijacjthis tutorial -http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
BHODemon - http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23611&fileidx=1
Bazooka -http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm

A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

A listing of BHO's
http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
http://www.spychecker.com/

To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
default settings.
These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other systems
as well.
Go to control panel and open "internet options.
Click on the security tab then custom level.
make sure these settings are as follows.

Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
Java permissions>set to high
Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

NTbackup link