Programs Absolutely Needed at Startup - Is there a list so..

I've just started reading the posts in this group because I discovered
that I have 57 processes going on while my computer is slowing down
more and more every day. I know about msconfig.exe and I've peeked in
there, but I don't know which ones I can safely uncheck so they won't
run at startup.

Can someone tell me which programs I absolutely NEED to make my
computer run smoothly so I can just uncheck all the rest? I googled
for a list and there are many lists of not-needed programs and what
they do, but so far I haven't found one that lists only the basic
programs needed. I'm using Windows XP and I remember back when I used
Win 98 a tech once gave me a list (very short list with about 4 or 5
things) of startups and told me that's all that's needed, but I've
lost that list.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you care to offer.
8 answers Last reply
More about programs absolutely needed startup list

    Anti Virus and a Firewall. The rest is up to you.

    You may peruse the following sites...

    Service information.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

    http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

    Startup Programs.

    http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm

    http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.php

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:4163cfca.84729500@news.individual.net,
    Kate <weller_4@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I've just started reading the posts in this group because I discovered
    > that I have 57 processes going on while my computer is slowing down
    > more and more every day. I know about msconfig.exe and I've peeked in
    > there, but I don't know which ones I can safely uncheck so they won't
    > run at startup.
    >
    > Can someone tell me which programs I absolutely NEED to make my
    > computer run smoothly so I can just uncheck all the rest? I googled
    > for a list and there are many lists of not-needed programs and what
    > they do, but so far I haven't found one that lists only the basic
    > programs needed. I'm using Windows XP and I remember back when I used
    > Win 98 a tech once gave me a list (very short list with about 4 or 5
    > things) of startups and told me that's all that's needed, but I've
    > lost that list.
    >
    > Thanks for reading and for any advice you care to offer.

    That was the abbreviated list. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:4161f01d.93004250@news.individual.net,
    Kate <weller_4@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:47:31 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Anti Virus and a Firewall. The rest is up to you.
    >>
    >> You may peruse the following sites...
    >>
    >> Service information.
    >>
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services
    >>
    >> http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html
    >>
    >> http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
    >>
    >> Startup Programs.
    >>
    >> http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListQ-U.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM
    >>
    >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.php
    >>
    >> http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    >>
    >> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    >
    > Holy cow! I think this should do it. :) Thank you so much.

    Linux is looking more attractive every day..... he he...

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:07:38 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:40:31 GMT, weller_4@hotmail.com (Kate) wrote:

    >I've just started reading the posts in this group because I discovered
    >that I have 57 processes going on while my computer is slowing down
    >more and more every day. I know about msconfig.exe and I've peeked in
    >there, but I don't know which ones I can safely uncheck so they won't
    >run at startup.
    >
    >Can someone tell me which programs I absolutely NEED to make my
    >computer run smoothly so I can just uncheck all the rest? I googled
    >for a list and there are many lists of not-needed programs and what
    >they do, but so far I haven't found one that lists only the basic
    >programs needed. I'm using Windows XP and I remember back when I used
    >Win 98 a tech once gave me a list (very short list with about 4 or 5
    >things) of startups and told me that's all that's needed, but I've
    >lost that list.
    >
    >Thanks for reading and for any advice you care to offer.

    Well I have 24 running there and I think all are needed. I'd say you have
    excess, pretty darned sure. After you run anti-virus and a couple of
    anti-spyware programs, it is up to you to Google each file name one at a
    time.

    Also you might want to go to different anti-virus sites and have them do
    an online anti-virus & worm check of your hard drive too (takes a while).
    Here is Symantec's (Norton):

    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=NSW2003&langid=ie&venid=sym

    ...D.

    [posted and mailed]

    On 07 Oct 2004, you wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:40:31 GMT, weller_4@hotmail.com (Kate) wrote:
    >
    >>I've just started reading the posts in this group because I discovered
    >>that I have 57 processes going on while my computer is slowing down
    >>more and more every day. I know about msconfig.exe and I've peeked in
    >>there, but I don't know which ones I can safely uncheck so they won't
    >>run at startup.
    >>
    >>Can someone tell me which programs I absolutely NEED to make my
    >>computer run smoothly so I can just uncheck all the rest? I googled
    >>for a list and there are many lists of not-needed programs and what
    >>they do, but so far I haven't found one that lists only the basic
    >>programs needed. I'm using Windows XP and I remember back when I used
    >>Win 98 a tech once gave me a list (very short list with about 4 or 5
    >>things) of startups and told me that's all that's needed, but I've
    >>lost that list.
    >>
    >>Thanks for reading and for any advice you care to offer.

    Pacmans Portal or Black Viper's sites will give you the correct information
    that you require!!

    Very helpful post Mr. Vogel. Thank you.

    --
    Hardware above my means courtesy of my benefactors, Angel, Weezy and ER__RN

    Epox EP-8RDA+ mobo
    AMD 1.8 Ghz 2500+ Barton processor
    1gig Corsair XMS3200 400 mhz DDR
    FX5700LE