Sign in with
Your question

Fallout 3 Crashing on W7

Last response: in Windows 7
August 20, 2010 5:32:51 PM

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop and its operating system is Windows 7. I installed Fallout3 as instructed and tryied to play the game but when i click new game and it loads the game crashes on me. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this please tell me. I am not all that computer savy so please dont make it a technical response. Also if anyone knows how to get the command prompt up can u tell me also. Thank you for your time.

More about : fallout crashing

a b $ Windows 7
August 20, 2010 6:23:08 PM

Meta_Wolf said:
I just bought a new Toshiba laptop and its operating system is Windows 7. I installed Fallout3 as instructed and tryied to play the game but when i click new game and it loads the game crashes on me. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this please tell me. I am not all that computer savy so please dont make it a technical response. Also if anyone knows how to get the command prompt up can u tell me also. Thank you for your time.

You can find the Command Prompt by hitting the Windows key and R together then typing cmd into the Open box. As to the game, I know nothing of it but if it worked in XP and not in W7, try the Compatibility Mode.

m
l
August 20, 2010 8:44:37 PM

Saga Lout said:
You can find the Command Prompt by hitting the Windows key and R together then typing cmd into the Open box. As to the game, I know nothing of it but if it worked in XP and not in W7, try the Compatibility Mode.

Ok I will try that. I thought all you had to do to open the command prompt ingame was to hit the ~ key. Is this correct?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2010 5:52:36 AM

Meta_Wolf said:
Ok I will try that. I thought all you had to do to open the command prompt ingame was to hit the ~ key. Is this correct?

[#0005ff]Can't help with that one, I'm afraid - no time to game. Most games have their own forums which might help there.[/#000ff]
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2010 5:09:39 PM

what are the laptop specs? discrete or inetgrated graphics?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 3:34:08 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish
m
l
August 22, 2010 4:35:03 AM

13thmonkey said:
what are the laptop specs? discrete or inetgrated graphics?

I am not I sure...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 5:24:07 AM

Meta_Wolf said:
I am not I sure...

[#0005ff]The make and model number would probably help us out.[/#000ff]
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 12:15:21 PM

or use gpu-z to find out for us.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 2:49:40 PM

Meta_Wolf said:

yes, the in-game console is opened with the ~ key
m
l
August 22, 2010 10:33:28 PM

ok but how do I get the game to even start a NEW game? it crashes as soon as it loads a new game. menu window is fine but new game crashes it.
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:01:49 AM

Maybe a bad install? Try reinstalling it. Do other games work? If not, try reinstalling DirectX.
Also, make sure you have the correct graphics drivers installed.

P.S. To open a command prompt, just click start and type in cmd.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 8:06:25 AM

Meta_Wolf said:
ok but how do I get the game to even start a NEW game? it crashes as soon as it loads a new game. menu window is fine but new game crashes it.

The very first question is can you system run it. so we need your GPU specs, download gpu-z as it willgive you teh answer, or look at device manager and look at the display adaptor or give us the full model number of your laptop.

If you have integrated graphics I very much doubt you'd be able to play it, and it may fail exactly as you are seeing it fail.

in windows, start menu, 'search programs and files' just typing in cmd will get you the windows command prompt (old dos box). in game tilda ~ will bring it up, but only once you are in game, i don't think it works from the menu.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 8:50:16 AM

fps and lag is different, lag is the time from doing something before the game recognises it, fps is just how often the screen updates.

You have integrated graphics, and the game requires minimum nvidia 6800 or better.
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42115/Fallout-3-Minim...

thats probably why it won't run, its also why you have what you think of as lag, you gpu is not fast enough, and no it can't be upgraded.
m
l
August 27, 2010 3:31:08 AM

13thmonkey said:
fps and lag is different, lag is the time from doing something before the game recognises it, fps is just how often the screen updates.

You have integrated graphics, and the game requires minimum nvidia 6800 or better.
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42115/Fallout-3-Minim...

thats probably why it won't run, its also why you have what you think of as lag, you gpu is not fast enough, and no it can't be upgraded.

So will FO3 run at all on my laptop? and ok thanks for that bit of info.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 27, 2010 9:32:16 AM

If it did it would be very slow, this review gives you a clue as to performance.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/intel-hd...

and bear in mind that 6800 should a lot faster than a 4200 (i think i can't find a comparison)
However it shouldn't fail like that, i'd expect it to try, and then just run slowly.
m
l
August 30, 2010 2:09:37 AM

dang it... alright well thanks for your help....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2010 10:25:10 AM

sorry dude, if its that new can you take it back, if you even hinted at gaming when buying it they gave you bad advice and sold you the wrong one.
m
l
August 30, 2010 5:54:21 PM

I hinted but I looked it up online at BestBuy.com. there was a similar one that was rated good and you could game on it and I was told that this was just an updated one since the specs on both laptops were so similar. But its not big deal I guess.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2010 7:42:01 PM

have a look for external graphics cards, there have been a few attempts at doing this, but i'm not sure how they work/what connections they need.
m
l
!