Fallout 3 Crashing on W7

Meta_Wolf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I just bought a new Toshiba laptop and its operating system is Windows 7. I installed Fallout3 as instructed and tryied to play the game but when i click new game and it loads the game crashes on me. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this please tell me. I am not all that computer savy so please dont make it a technical response. Also if anyone knows how to get the command prompt up can u tell me also. Thank you for your time.

You can find the Command Prompt by hitting the Windows key and R together then typing cmd into the Open box. As to the game, I know nothing of it but if it worked in XP and not in W7, try the Compatibility Mode.

Meta_Wolf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Ok I will try that. I thought all you had to do to open the command prompt ingame was to hit the ~ key. Is this correct?

Can't help with that one, I'm afraid - no time to game. Most games have their own forums which might help there.[/#000ff]

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Maybe a bad install? Try reinstalling it. Do other games work? If not, try reinstalling DirectX.
Also, make sure you have the correct graphics drivers installed.

P.S. To open a command prompt, just click start and type in cmd.

The very first question is can you system run it. so we need your GPU specs, download gpu-z as it willgive you teh answer, or look at device manager and look at the display adaptor or give us the full model number of your laptop.

If you have integrated graphics I very much doubt you'd be able to play it, and it may fail exactly as you are seeing it fail.

in windows, start menu, 'search programs and files' just typing in cmd will get you the windows command prompt (old dos box). in game tilda ~ will bring it up, but only once you are in game, i don't think it works from the menu.

Meta_Wolf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
fps and lag is different, lag is the time from doing something before the game recognises it, fps is just how often the screen updates.

You have integrated graphics, and the game requires minimum nvidia 6800 or better.
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42115/Fallout-3-Minimum-Suggested-Specs

thats probably why it won't run, its also why you have what you think of as lag, you gpu is not fast enough, and no it can't be upgraded.

Meta_Wolf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

So will FO3 run at all on my laptop? and ok thanks for that bit of info.

Meta_Wolf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I hinted but I looked it up online at BestBuy.com. there was a similar one that was rated good and you could game on it and I was told that this was just an updated one since the specs on both laptops were so similar. But its not big deal I guess.

TRENDING THREADS