XP service pack 2

I've just installed XP home. I've heard service pack 2
causes some problems? Will all programs you have still
work? Will it interfer with yahoo messanger? I'm not sure
if i should install service pack 2? What problems have you
found with the update?

Thank you.
Tom
6 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    Hi Tom,

    The vast majority install SP2 and have no issues. Relatively few actually
    have problems, and these are generally due to having a problem on the system
    to begin with (eg: spyware).

    > Will all programs you have still work?

    Yes.

    > Will it interfer with yahoo messanger?

    Haven't heard anywhere that it would.

    > I'm not sure if i should install service pack 2?

    If you are connected to the internet, then you should.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "tom" <twj47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've just installed XP home. I've heard service pack 2
    > causes some problems? Will all programs you have still
    > work? Will it interfer with yahoo messanger? I'm not sure
    > if i should install service pack 2? What problems have you
    > found with the update?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Tom

    Having scumware is *not* the only cause for problems with SP2.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:Otk2gInqEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > The vast majority install SP2 and have no issues. Relatively few
    > actually have problems, and these are generally due to having a
    > problem on the system to begin with (eg: spyware).
    >
    >> Will all programs you have still work?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> Will it interfer with yahoo messanger?
    >
    > Haven't heard anywhere that it would.
    >
    >> I'm not sure if i should install service pack 2?
    >
    > If you are connected to the internet, then you should.
    >

    > "tom" <twj47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've just installed XP home. I've heard service pack 2
    >> causes some problems? Will all programs you have still
    >> work? Will it interfer with yahoo messanger? I'm not sure
    >> if i should install service pack 2? What problems have you
    >> found with the update?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >> Tom

    Hi
    I also have a query about Pack2. i forgot to instal anti-virus before doing
    the dowmload for pack2 and I wonder if now I have to uninstal it or how can I
    go on for a free anti-virus after that? Is it better then to use the firewall
    from my modem/router + encryption than xp firewall right? thanks

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > The vast majority install SP2 and have no issues. Relatively few actually
    > have problems, and these are generally due to having a problem on the system
    > to begin with (eg: spyware).
    >
    > > Will all programs you have still work?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > Will it interfer with yahoo messanger?
    >
    > Haven't heard anywhere that it would.
    >
    > > I'm not sure if i should install service pack 2?
    >
    > If you are connected to the internet, then you should.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "tom" <twj47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed XP home. I've heard service pack 2
    > > causes some problems? Will all programs you have still
    > > work? Will it interfer with yahoo messanger? I'm not sure
    > > if i should install service pack 2? What problems have you
    > > found with the update?
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > > Tom

    Hi Wesley,

    1) I stated "generally", meaning not always.

    2) eg=example, meaning it's not the only reason but it is a good example.

    --

    > Having scumware is *not* the only cause for problems with SP2.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:Otk2gInqEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Tom,
    >>
    >> The vast majority install SP2 and have no issues. Relatively few
    >> actually have problems, and these are generally due to having a
    >> problem on the system to begin with (eg: spyware).
    >>
    >>> Will all programs you have still work?
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Will it interfer with yahoo messanger?
    >>
    >> Haven't heard anywhere that it would.
    >>
    >>> I'm not sure if i should install service pack 2?
    >>
    >> If you are connected to the internet, then you should.
    >>

    >> "tom" <twj47@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've just installed XP home. I've heard service pack 2
    >>> causes some problems? Will all programs you have still
    >>> work? Will it interfer with yahoo messanger? I'm not sure
    >>> if i should install service pack 2? What problems have you
    >>> found with the update?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>> Tom

    Hi Rick,

    I guess that I'm a little hot as I had problems with SP2 and uninstalled it.
    And scumware was not the problem.

    And you're right, scumware can be a big problem.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23IzYAqyqEHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wesley,
    >
    > 1) I stated "generally", meaning not always.
    >
    > 2) eg=example, meaning it's not the only reason but it is a good
    > example.

    >> Having scumware is *not* the only cause for problems with SP2.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:Otk2gInqEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi Tom,
    >>>
    >>> The vast majority install SP2 and have no issues. Relatively few
    >>> actually have problems, and these are generally due to having a
    >>> problem on the system to begin with (eg: spyware).

    >>> Yes.

    >>> Haven't heard anywhere that it would.

    >>> If you are connected to the internet, then you should.
    >>>

    >>> "tom" <twj47@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    What sort of problems Wes?

    --

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > I guess that I'm a little hot as I had problems with SP2 and uninstalled
    > it.
    > And scumware was not the problem.
    >
    > And you're right, scumware can be a big problem.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:%23IzYAqyqEHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Wesley,
    >>
    >> 1) I stated "generally", meaning not always.
    >>
    >> 2) eg=example, meaning it's not the only reason but it is a good
    >> example.

    >>> Having scumware is *not* the only cause for problems with SP2.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> In news:Otk2gInqEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,