I did a simple restore that lost several important files

I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
folders that my information was in, however the files
were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
Thank you in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about simple restore lost important files

    "Min" wrote:

    > I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    > folders that my information was in, however the files
    > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    > Thank you in advance!

    System restore has an "undo" the last restoration option.

    Hi

    If August dates are blanked out in the System restore calendar, then you
    won't be able to go back that far. System Restore doesn't monitor data
    files, so I can't see how they were deleted by System Restore.

    From a command prompt, try the following:

    cd\
    dir *.jpg /a/s

    Substitute jpg for any other file extensions you want to search for.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Min" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    > folders that my information was in, however the files
    > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    > Thank you in advance!

    6 months of work and no backup....?

    "MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Min" wrote:
    >
    > > I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    > > folders that my information was in, however the files
    > > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    > > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    > > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    > > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    > > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    > > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    > > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    > > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    > > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    > > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    > > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    > > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    > > Thank you in advance!
    > >

    > System restore has an "undo" the last restoration option.

    Windows System Restore does not restore user created files. It restores
    SYSTEM files, thus the name SYSTEM Restore. It is not a backup program.

    You had 6 months of work and did not back it up...that is entirely your
    fault.

    You should do some homework and read about what system restore does...it is
    a basic utility that will return a system to a previous state if a new
    driver or system file causes problems. It will not back up music files,
    video files, word documents, etc.

    You have learned a lesson here....do not forget it.

    Do regular backups, using a backup program.

    Bobby

    "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >6 months of work and no backup....?
    >
    > "MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Min" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    >> > folders that my information was in, however the files
    >> > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    >> > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    >> > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    >> > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    >> > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    >> > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    >> > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    >> > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    >> > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    >> > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    >> > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    >> > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    >> > Thank you in advance!
    >> >

    >> System restore has an "undo" the last restoration option.

    From what i've seen you only quote lose .exe files and sometimes url
    addresses in the program files folder. Use the undo or use the find or
    search for one of the jpgs it will show what folder they are in. Whatever
    folder they were in the date of the restore they should still be in it. It
    can also rename a folder if you used the same folder name more than once
    between today and the restore date in the past. You obviously moved them to
    another folder.
    "Min" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    > folders that my information was in, however the files
    > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    > Thank you in advance!

    By design System Restore does not monitor the My Documents directory so if
    one decides to allow System Restore to monitor their drive they should store
    files they don't want affect in that directory. Files like .EXE, .ZIP and
    yes even .MP3 files will be lost if they reside outside of the My Documents
    folder and you run System Restore. You might be able to find your lost files
    by running an undelete application. Try
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html Run the app from a floppy.
    You should also have a second drive to restore found files to. If this work
    is very important, and it sounds as though it is, then you might have to
    either invest in some serious recovery software and a second drive or enlist
    the help of a recovery service. You should immediately stop using the
    computer as you run the risk of overwriting files.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Min" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I did a basic restore, but when it was over I had the
    > folders that my information was in, however the files
    > were all gone. I tried to restore at a later date to see
    > if they would be there but I am only limited to go back
    > to September 2004, I need to try to go back to August
    > 2004. Is there any way I can go back to that point to try
    > another restore to try & retrieve my files or am I S.O.L.
    > Also I have done a search but I get no search results.
    > Most all my files are Jpegs for my Web site and of course
    > Wording titles etc. I need to try to recover these files
    > or I will have to start all over. I have been working on
    > my web site for 6 months thats a lot of files & hard work
    > I will lose if I can't recover it. Please some one help
    > me out tell me hoe to recover my lifes work.
    > Thank you in advance!

Microsoft Basic Windows XP