randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
a7v8x w/ Athlon xp2100 , I cant get the voltage to be at
1.75 , its running @ 1.8 always , tested with ASUS probe , sandra , MBM 5 , all show the same thing.
In BIOS the options are AUTO , Manual - ranges from 1.75 to 1.85 Only . there is a jumper to Overvolt on the board
that will allow higher voltages , but I want to lower
I have it set to 1.75 but it seems to decide for itself what voltage to be.
Now the BIG ?? with the cpu at 1.8 will there be any harm
, also the temp seems a little high , is this due the higher voltage
PLEASE help I've tried everything I know , or ask for more info , as this concerns me ,

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Asus is famous for making their voltages a bit higher than spec as a way to make their stuff run stable. 1.8 won't hurt your chip, but it will make it run a bit hotter and if you don't have adequate cooling there could be a heat problem if you are already on the edge.

I haven't used that board, but it's strange that you don't have lower settings. In the past, if I had an Asus board over-volting, I just set it lower and it came out to spec. I'm starting to see that more and more though where the BIOS will show different options depending on what chip is installed. They are starting to make decisions for the end user so they don't screw up I guess...

You might see if there is a BIOS update which may change the options... else just make sure you have a good heat sink and fan and don't worry about it!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!