PC Game Crash - Auto Reboot

G

Heyas, looking for help.

I got a problem with 2 games that crash, more like they actually reboot the computer instantly.
It use to be just The Witcher at 1st, but recently tried for the 1st time to get the Sims 2 and the same thing happens.
I changed all options (trust me) of both games, update graph drivers, directx, reinstall the game, clean registries, clean spywares/virus, control temperatures for heat.
In the end, when the game starts (no problem at the menus part) a 1/2 second later it freezes, and for a second it shows the game start view with sound doing a frozen loop. Then Bip, restart.

Note: I can play games like GTA San Andreas, C&C 3, Oblivion, Overlord, Hellgate London, Crysis, Neverwinter 2, etc... and no crash what so ever.

I did have 2 crashes/reboot playing Medieval Total War2, when spinning the game view towards a city during a battle.

I thought the problem was that The Witcher was in someway a 'heavy' game but I can run Crysis and not Sims 2!?
Any ideas? Thank you for any help. ;)

System:
Windows XP SP2
Directx 9C
Intel Core Duo CPU 2.66GHz
RAM 2GB
NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS
Realtek HD Audio output

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
hmmmmm...tough break. *Could* be a power supply issue...though of course crysis should be crashing as well in that case. Did you add your 7300GS to a system built by a major vendor like dell or hp?

G

Nope not from any vendor. I guess I can try get a different power supply if I can't figure out a way for a while. Thank you ;)

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Also make sure you don't have anything overclocked, if that applies to you.

Really though, it doesn't seem like it is likely to be the power supply, but you never know.

More likely is the possibility that this is a software issue. You are not using beta drivers for your video card by any chance are you?

I faintly recall that the Sims 2 was actually pretty processor intensive. And I don't think the Witcher is multi-threaded capable either. Perhaps there is some problem with one core of your dual core processor, and in crysis, since the load is distributed across both cores, it isn't being tasked heavily enough for this problem to occur. To test this, try to download some kind of processor intensive benchmark, like folding@home and make sure your processor is fine running under heavier loads.