Sign in with
Your question

Best defrag for gamers?

Last response: in Video Games
April 6, 2008 1:42:40 AM

Hey whats a good defrag software for gaming?

More about : defrag gamers

April 6, 2008 4:10:03 AM

Do a search for ausglogics disk defragmenter, it's a great program and it's free.
April 6, 2008 10:42:36 AM

Thanks!

I am going to check that one out!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 7, 2008 4:01:39 AM

I use perfectdisk. It really helps with BF2. When my raid array of 240GB was only 30 GB full I could load in so fast I would have to wait the full 15 seconds for the rest of the players to load in. Also My windows XP loading bar swiped 2.5 times. Now my win XP install is about 150GB full and 10 months old. I recently defraged with it yesterday because I noticed I wasn't joining into BF2 right away, also the windows loading bar took about 12 swipes. After the defrag it takes 8-9 swipes. BF2 I am usually 1 of the top 5 to load the first round and the rest of the the rounds (Because it is in the catch) I usually wait like 5 seconds.
April 7, 2008 8:10:08 PM

The defrag part of TunUp Utilities works very well and will automaticly place all of Windows together on the outside track even new updates which normaly end up in whatever free space they fit when you d/l them.

It will also automaticly place all of whatever games you play ( or software you use) together near the outer (faster) tracks.

Just run it every 3 days-two weeks and it will relocate the files.
April 8, 2008 3:19:34 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Do a search for ausglogics disk defragmenter, it's a great program and it's free.

I second that, but I will say, that there is no "gaming" defragger. It's all the same. Any old defragger will do. I've also found that the standard windows defrag does a good enough job, though auslogics is a bit better.
April 8, 2008 7:48:08 PM

I use perfectdisk. Its free (for a month) and its IMO much better than the regular defragmenter provided by Windows.

I choose perfectdisk because they provide various types of degrag.

If you wanted to defrag a disk which is rarely or never modified, they have a thorought defrag that does not leave any space between files and is the fastest way to read data from the disk. This improves performance and maximizes data storage.

They also provide a regular performance defrag which assigns the most used files at the beginning of your drive and once again you can choose to leave a little bit of space between files so that you don't have to defrag on every change you make (such as savegames). This is prob what you would be looking for as a gamer.

It has extra features such as offline defrag which reboots your PC and defrags your disk including system files.

Its easy to use. The only con I have about this program is that it runs a background program (PD-Agent) which helps a lot when copying files from one place to keep it clean...but uses some resources like memory and processing power everyso often.

April 8, 2008 11:20:22 PM

"For gaming"? not "for windows"?
a b 4 Gaming
April 8, 2008 11:28:35 PM

Steam has a built in defrager for its game. Not sure if it works but I have yet to have the games load slowly on me.
May 15, 2008 11:27:01 PM

Hi. I'm from DiskTrix and we make a product called UltimateDefrag.

I am a flight simmer of 20 years and I am actually the brainchild behind UltimateDefrag. It was originally created specifically to enable users to get the best performance out of Flight Sim.

Needless to say if this program can improve the performance of Flight Sim X it will also enhance the performance of all other games.

The secret behind the product is the fact that with UltimateDefrag you can specifically place your files for specific games to the outer tracks of your hard drive where performance is 180 to 240% faster than the inner tracks. You can also sort files and folders in specific order.

The manual has a whole background of theory on getting the most performance from a hard drive and UltimateDefrag is based around that theory.

If you look around at some of the flight sim sites you will see that flight simmers are all in agreement that this product works. The difference between UltimateDefrag and run of the mill defraggers is that it is more specifically a file placement optimizer.

There's a 14 day free trial at www.disktrix.com.
May 15, 2008 11:38:52 PM

I had a brainchild, but my wife left me and got full custody of it :( 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 15, 2008 11:40:45 PM

DiskTrix said:

I am a flight simmer of 20 years and I am actually the brainchild behind UltimateDefrag. It was originally created specifically to enable users to get the best performance out of Flight Sim.

Needless to say if this program can improve the performance of Flight Sim X it will also enhance the performance of all other games.

The secret behind the product is the fact that with UltimateDefrag you can specifically place your files for specific games to the outer tracks of your hard drive where performance is 180 to 240% faster than the inner tracks. You can also sort files and folders in specific order.

The manual has a whole background of theory on getting the most performance from a hard drive and UltimateDefrag is based around that theory.

If you look around at some of the flight sim sites you will see that flight simmers are all in agreement that this product works. The difference between UltimateDefrag and run of the mill defraggers is that it is more specifically a file placement optimizer.

You sound like the brainchild of lame software that noone should ever pay for.
May 16, 2008 7:21:58 PM

A FREE (open source) tool is called JkDefrag and it will place all files contiguously on the drive. I use it and it works ok. I am not associated with the tool in any way (no cheesy 14 or 30 day trial ware)

I may try the tunup utilities mentioned above but only if they are free....
May 17, 2008 4:51:50 AM

what the **** is wrong with you hallubalooza

the guy is just stating an opinion and some information about the product. Get off his back.

on to the subject
i see no difference in different defraggers (if thats a word), but that is most likely because i have SAS drives and it doesnt matter what they are loading, they do it fast.
May 17, 2008 7:31:41 AM

Anybody done tests on these?
May 21, 2008 10:28:57 PM

DiskTrix said:

I am testing your soft right now just out of curiosity on an old machine to see if there is an actual improvement on various things..it's easier to see the differences on a slow running rig then on a high end one.

While i haven't read the manual i do have some doubt especially due to the damn physics of it :) ). If i remember right, yes it is true that the outer tracks of any rotating disk do have a higher velocity then the inner ones, but at the same time every random point on the outer track has to "travel" a longer distance due to the fact that the outer tracks are longer then the inner ones
May 22, 2008 1:26:35 PM

I don't think any defragger can be classified specifically as being 'best' for gaming..if it does defrags properly using the least amount of resources, then it's a good defragger for everything. Diskeeper 2008 Pro is on my XP pro rig that is used for gaming, among other things. Keeps all the drives nicely defragmented and overall performance hasn't dropped despite cramming the drives with programs, games and data files.
May 22, 2008 2:59:29 PM

based on benchmarks from everest ultimate edition, the built in windows defrag works better than 3rd party defraggers.

the good thing is that the tune up utilities defragger is basically a copy of the windows defrag, does the same thing.

i like using it because it allows me to set it to defrag all 5 hard drives when needed

when i benchmark i do the linear read test and the random read test

i used to use perfect disk (recommended on the grc security now podcast but i found that disk read performance was a little lower with it compared to the built in windows defrag.

tune up utilities basically used the windows defrag so what i do is i install tune up utilities then i disable all of its services and then i sue the defrag as a on demand tool and since on Friday i only have 1 class, i set it to defrag my 5 drives before i leave for class

even though the fragmentation never really goes about 1-2% since the way i store files is

only installed programs on drive c, then all music and installers for my favorite programs goes on drive D then all movies and videos/ anime goes on drive G

and all files used for my photo editing and 3d modeling goes on drive H

this keeps everything organized and fragmentation is rare but i is still good to do it. even 1% is too much for me :)  especially on drive c

soon i will be getting a new 7200 rpm 20GB hard drive where i will keep the windows page file on (i will also transfer my backup windows xp partition (great to have, just use partition magic to copy your drive c to a hidden partition. then if anything ever happens to your windows install instead of spending hours reinstalling and setting everything back up, just use partition magic to copy that backup partition over which ever xp instal that you have that messed up and in like around 10 minutes, your back up and running with no problem, (it is a big help to me since i have 3 windows xp and 1 vista install ( 1 xp install for running the microsoft visual studio (needs it's own xp install since it doesn't like creative, (installing it will cause the eax console for my audigy 2 zs to crash constantly with a ntdll.dll error )

another xp install for testing things out that may be unsafe, an a main one for gaming and other stuff

May 22, 2008 7:38:39 PM

I tend to like O&O Defragmentor for a couple reasons. Not necessarily that it does a "better" job than the windows defrag, but it has more options for how your hdd is defragged.

It gives you stealth, which is a low resource quick defrag. Space, which organizes your files to mazimize space on your hdd. Access, which organizes files based on how often they are accessed and is more of a full defragment of the drive. And I think the other option is by when the files were last modified.

I always do an access defragment of the drive, so my most used files/programs are put where they can be accessed the quickest.

Not a guru when it comes to things like this, but seems like a good way to be doing it to me. It also will do multiple drives in the computer with the push of a single button. So my game machine is set to do an access on the one raptor in there once a week. And the other computers in the house that have 3 or 4 hdd's in them do a defrag by space and do all the hard drives in succession (which is usually scheduled to be run in the middle of the night).

Have tried a few, and this is the one I liked the best.
November 21, 2008 4:38:06 AM

De@thGod said:

While i haven't read the manual i do have some doubt especially due to the damn physics of it :) ). If i remember right, yes it is true that the outer tracks of any rotating disk do have a higher velocity then the inner ones, but at the same time every random point on the outer track has to "travel" a longer distance due to the fact that the outer tracks are longer then the inner ones

ultimate defrag gives you the option to increase performance or decrease seek times (large files or frequent use files versus small files and infrequent use files). therefore your theory is not relevant, however, it is true you can't have both (just one or the other or a happy medium).
November 21, 2008 6:56:02 AM

Didnt think there was this moch to defragging tbh. I always saw it as simple as going from this:

[||..|.||...|.|||....||..|.....||.||..|]

to this

[|||||||||||||||||.....................]

Interesting story - once i explained the theory of defragging to my illiterate older sister using a cardboard box, a few leaves and a ciggarette packet :D 
Is it really worth moving away from windows defragger, or is this just another attempt to create a market for an uneccesary product (HAI PHYSX!!)
November 21, 2008 1:34:45 PM

pr2thej said:
Didnt think there was this moch to defragging tbh. I always saw it as simple as going from this:

[||..|.||...|.|||....||..|.....||.||..|]

to this

[|||||||||||||||||.....................]

Yes, getting a file defragmented is the most important factor for it's access times. As long as it's contiguous, it's location on the drive is of secondary importance....defragmentation > file placement always.

Anyway, it's just too much work to specify file placement here and there. I can't be bothered. :D  That's why I use run my copy of Diskeeper '08 in fully automatic mode on my XP rig. I simply don't want to defrag 4 drives when DK does it just fine. :p 
November 26, 2008 3:32:27 PM

ZOldDude said:
The defrag part of TunUp Utilities works very well and will automaticly place all of Windows together on the outside track even new updates which normaly end up in whatever free space they fit when you d/l them.

It will also automaticly place all of whatever games you play ( or software you use) together near the outer (faster) tracks.

Just run it every 3 days-two weeks and it will relocate the files.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed in a lot of TH' HDD reviews when doing the throughput tests much faster speeds are acquired towards the center of the platter. This is assuming the test runs from the center as the graph goes down as the heads get closer to the edge of the platter. For example I believe the WD velicraptor gets around 130MB/s in the center, but only about 60~70MB/s near the border.
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2008 6:17:47 PM

^^^ I was about to point out, its quicker to navigate the circumferance of a circle by going along its inside as opposed to its outside...You would figure it would be the inside track thats the fastest...
November 26, 2008 6:53:14 PM

I use defragler from piriform .They made CCleaner
November 27, 2008 6:58:44 AM

I got Auslogic based on this thread and im impressed at the options available. Nothing is mind-blowingly sped up, but theres a slight difference
May 27, 2009 9:44:50 AM

the very best defrag is vopt 9.12 i have a 320 gb hard drive over half full. my comp had not been defraged in over half a year i ran it it took only 40 min for the program to defrag it. the program also has another neet feature it will compact you hard drive it freed up nearly 2 gig. give it ta try it is free for 30 days and i am a big online gammer .
June 17, 2009 4:36:39 PM

Diskeeper is a great defragmenter for gamers. I have been using it for a number of years now. It has the ability to run in low free space environments as well as handle all fragmentation in the background. I have heard of people being scared that it could interfere with performance, but I have seen nothing but benefits.

Another benefit to games is the IFAAST technology. It allows you to select files and optimizes them for improved performance above and beyond just defragging. You can definitely squeeze out some extra FPS with this.

Best of all, once it is installed, you can forever check defragmentation maintenance off your list.

Check their website for a free trial.
March 27, 2010 7:54:48 AM

DiskTrix said:

Iam not affliated with disktrix in anyway. I use disktrix and have to say it is the most versitile defragger I have came accross. You can place any file, folder, software program or game, litterly any where on the disk you want for better access times or to archive something u do use pr out of the way. I know it is trail and you have to pay for it, but until u actually try it u really can not give it a bad review. And there are way around the trial. It is an awesome program and would recommend to anyone.
!