A new game for my new rig!

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I just built a new rig and its been running stable for about a month now. I finally have some money and wanted a new game. Supreme Commander is the newest game I own but its getting old, the races are too similar. And every other game I have is from 04 or earlier. I haven't kept up with really any games that have come out in the last 6th months. Im really looking for a good FPS since my old comp couldnt run any with good framerates.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

PS. I don't have a internet connection currently (need to get a wireless router) so any game that need an internet connection to register is out of the question.

pauldh

Illustrious
Fear and COD4 are both very good. (both are M rated though). Also, Not an FPS, but Oblivion could potentially give you hundreds of hours of fun for your money. The Orange box is excellent too, but you do need internet access once anyway, then you can set it up for offline play. Still, many hours of fun for the money.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Oblivion is supposed to be great and I was thinking of getting it. Fear was on my mind also as well as STALKER.

Ive heard great things about the orange box and as far as I know TF2 is the only game that needs a internet connection. Thanks again its nice to hear other peoples opinions on a good game, Ive been out of the loop for a while now.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Orange box is great. Yeah only TF2 needs the internet. Call of Duty 4 has gotten phenomenal reviews and a pretty good single player campaign. I'd probably go with one of those.

mi1ez

Splendid
I'd go with the Orange Box again, and a good cheap game (also on Steam) that I'm hooked on is Audiosurf.

It's not a FPS, but it's great fun and for $10 is a bargain. just search for vids of it and you'll see what I mean.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
CURSE ONLINE REGISTRATION!!!

From what ive heard crysis really has nothing when it comes to core gameplay so I'm going to avoid it.

@anthropophaginian I thought only TF2 needed internet and im pretty sure I don't have to register the other games to play them.

As for Patching and updates Ive been downloading them on my old PC with internet and transfering it to the new with a flash drive so hopefully thats not a problem.

Thanks for all the input.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I've been dong some reading and I guess even just the HL2 singleplayer will need online activation. So i'm going to bring my PC out of my room and hook our cable modem up to it just to activate and update everything before returning it to my room. hopefully that will avoid needing to get a wireless router right now.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Don't count out FEAR. I love that game. I have gone through the single player several times, and every time is more fun because there is alot in that game that you miss the first time through cause you are too scared to go looking around --> I'm not kidding either.

Yes you will be fine. But you will be missing out. TF2 is so worth the router. Its fun and fast paced and easy to learn. That and GMod. GMod is so much fun and easy to learn too.

But if you just activate the games and then update you can start in "offline" mode that will let you play HL2 no problem. I used to have 56K so I had to play in "offline" mode. But you should update now and then for some nice updates such as for performance and such.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Play the CoD4 demo. Play the Crysis demo. See if you like them that way. I played the Crysis demo, and will say that it was incredibly fun, even on low settings. I think I played through it 3 times total. People just don't appreciate the physics and all Crysis added to gameplay... making it like no other game out there. Most of those people who say Crysis sucks, either can't run it nicely, or are just brats who try to find faults in every game. A lot those people are just X360 owners that like playing Halo 3, where you just spray everywhere. In Crysis you actually have to think and take it slow. You have to find your own route instead of going straight through a hallway, and all other doors (except the right ones) are locked.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

Try to find a demo of Crysis then because this is simply not true. It depends on how you play the game and what restrictions you put on yourself.

It does require some creativity on the part of the player to get the best experience out of this game, the gameplay that best suits you, is not presented on a gold platter. People that simply state that Crysis is only about graphics and not about gameplay at all, simply have not played the game, or are too lazy to explore all the possibilities of the game.

In my opinion, CryTek learned a lot from their FarCry experience (that is just the original one for PC, mind you) and put it to good use in this game.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I guess I was wrong in assuming Crysis was only pretty. It also has a Mechwarrior mod in the works, so maybe I'll check it out later. I found FEAR for $5 on amazon so Ill pick that up along with the orange box.

My brother just got CoD4 on his 360 so I'll just play it on that when he's not home (as much as it pains me to use a gamepad).

Thanks again for all the input, I didn't expect this much feedback!

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

Because it's a graphics-rich game with some really fun gameplay? :kaola:

Maybe, depending on whether he's one of those guys who needs to run everything on max settings or not :D

:non: :pfff: Some people try to say that, although I'd like to know how many of them have actually played the game, and of those who have played the game I'd like to know what other games they like/play. I personally have played it almost all the way through on low settings (1024 x 768 res, texture on medium, water and physics on high), and the only level that SUCKED (mostly :na: ) was the infamous zero-gravity alien ship level :heink: . Really just unnecessary for the most part, although I enjoyed the challenge of it, just not the frustration after playing it for over an hour and not getting anywhere. Even at those low settings and with only about 20-25 FPS the game played fairly well and looked great (better than BF2 at high settings).

Although I've heard that multiplayer is crap, and I can imagine it would be (I mean if everyone's super, nobody is, right?)

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I just finished the FEAR demo and its scary as hell. I seriously had to play with the lights on in my room, Alma gives me the creeps. Still not sure how much I like scary games though.

I love the intense firefights in FEAR its the scary parts Im not a fan of. I think Im going to try to find a game with the intense action but less of the horror.

PS. at the end of the demo some guy mentions project origin. thought that was cool because Project Oringin is going to be a sort of fear sequel.

pauldh

Illustrious
LOL. true. I'm no horror flick fan, but played fear alone in the dark with 5.1 speakers at a decent volume. What a fun game. But if it freaks you, no sense in playing. And the bullet shells bouncing on the floor were sweet. I made a bunch of fraps full res videos playing that game. Me thinks I need to replay it sometime.

kingoftherings

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007

It really wasn't that freaky. I guess if you consider splicers running at you with pipes freaky..
It was a little creepy, but I certainly wasn't crying myself to sleep.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I didn't mind FEAR too bad. It's just a combination of the music the freaky shadows and knowing Alma or something else could apear around every corner. ive played the demo through a few more times and its not TOO bad but still pretty freaky.

Ive heard bad things about bioshocks anti piracy software, apparently it can sometimes prevent even installing it.

Im looking forward to Fallout 3 too. Bethesda did a good job on oblivion IMO and Fallout looks amazing so far.