is it safe to download active x?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

i need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems to
use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?, would
it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.

Any advice much appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about safe download active
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.

    Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
    http://java.com/en/index.jsp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Andy" wrote:

    | I need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems to
    | use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?, would
    | it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
    |
    | Any advice much appreciated.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Make sure you check the ActiveX signed and the cert is good before you
    download if you concert about the security.

    Robert Gu

    rights

    > Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.
    >
    > Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
    > http://java.com/en/index.jsp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Andy" wrote:
    >
    > | I need to install an active x control called java from sun microsystems
    > | use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?,
    > would
    > | it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
    > |
    > | Any advice much appreciated.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Come on. Give the guy a break. From the tenor of his post I seriously doubt
    that he'll know what a "cert" is and how to tell if it's good or not.

    Kurtz

    "Robert Gu [MSFT]" <robertg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Make sure you check the ActiveX signed and the cert is good before you
    > download if you concert about the security.
    >
    > Robert Gu

    > rights

    > > Yes, it is safe to download the Sun Microsystems ActiveX control.
    > >
    > > Free Software - Java Software for the desktop
    > > http://java.com/en/index.jsp
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    ----------

    > > "Andy" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I need to install an active x control called java from sun
    microsystems
    > > | use a particular website. Is it safe to download and install this?,
    > > would
    > > | it cause any problems on my pc? I am using xp home by the way.
    > > |
    > > | Any advice much appreciated.

    run mozilla.org firefox browser. does not support that
    dangerous activex.

Download Windows XP Microsoft Activex