Bandwidth limiting in the Wireless Access Point?

Tags:
  • Wireless Access
  • Bandwidth
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 16, 2004 3:23:39 PM

It's more than half-way through 2004... Do any consumer-priced
Wireless Access Points have bandwidth restricting/limiting integrated
yet?

I just share with neighbor and want to turn him down a wee bit. Don't
really want to have a dedicated machine just for that purpose, but
I'll happily buy a new consumer-priced access point. (I need to
upgrade to G for myself anyway.)

--John

More about : bandwidth limiting wireless access point

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:50:05 PM

On 16 Aug 2004 11:23:39 -0700, volareman@gmail.com (Johnny) wrote:

>It's more than half-way through 2004... Do any consumer-priced
>Wireless Access Points have bandwidth restricting/limiting integrated
>yet?

The Sveasoft firmware with the Satory bandwidth mangager plugin, for
the WRT54G might work.
http://members.cox.net/wrt54g/
However, it's not very fine grained and is assigned by service and
port, not by IP address. Slowing everyone down that uses the wireless
port may not be exactly what you want, but it's close (and cheap)
enough.

>I just share with neighbor and want to turn him down a wee bit. Don't
>really want to have a dedicated machine just for that purpose, but
>I'll happily buy a new consumer-priced access point. (I need to
>upgrade to G for myself anyway.)

The Sonicwall TZW has bandwidth management, but you won't like the
$700 price. Same with the Cisco 831 at $450. For UK, the Vigor 2900
does bandwidth management, but no clue on price or availability.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
August 16, 2004 7:01:31 PM

Put some grounded pieces of 1/4" chicken wire between his wireless antenna
and your AP. As his signal strength goes down, so does his bandwidth.

"Johnny" <volareman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 3839bca.0408161023.2d377f8b@posting.google.com...
> It's more than half-way through 2004... Do any consumer-priced
> Wireless Access Points have bandwidth restricting/limiting integrated
> yet?
>
> I just share with neighbor and want to turn him down a wee bit. Don't
> really want to have a dedicated machine just for that purpose, but
> I'll happily buy a new consumer-priced access point. (I need to
> upgrade to G for myself anyway.)
>
> --John
August 17, 2004 4:34:42 AM

Wowza, that fits my needs exactly! I'll make an Access Point *just* for the
neighbor and house visitors, and can always "open it up" if needs be.

Thanks for the link!

!