Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fake Bank Emails

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:23:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello

I may have been a bit (lot even) silly

Having seen the publicity about fake bank emails I did, when such an
e-mail was sent to me, open the link out of curiousity, just to see how
genuine it looked. I'm now told that just by clicking on the link I may
have opened the door to a trojan which can follow my keystrokes when I
am on to my bank. Is this the case? I thought of changing my passwords
however if my keystrokes can be seen is there any point?

Have I left myself vulnerable please?

Is there anything I should do to safeguard myself please.

Thanks

Chevie

More about : fake bank emails

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:23:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx

Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=833786

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chevie Brewer" wrote:

| Hello
|
| I may have been a bit (lot even) silly
|
| Having seen the publicity about fake bank emails I did, when such an
| e-mail was sent to me, open the link out of curiousity, just to see how
| genuine it looked. I'm now told that just by clicking on the link I may
| have opened the door to a trojan which can follow my keystrokes when I
| am on to my bank. Is this the case? I thought of changing my passwords
| however if my keystrokes can be seen is there any point?
|
| Have I left myself vulnerable please?
|
| Is there anything I should do to safeguard myself please.
|
| Thanks
|
| Chevie
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:15:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
> 3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx
>
> Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
> yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=833786
>
Thank you so much Carey

Firstly I ran the Symantec Secirity Check which took over an hour so it
must have done a thorough job and it reported that my pc was clean and
secure.

S4econdly I installed & ran AdAwareSE which found 100 items most of
which have been quarantined. Not to sure what to do with these at the
moment but will read more to see what I should do next.

Finally I will study the three articles you included hyperlinks for.

Regards

Chevie
Related resources
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 1:57:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

don't open attachment's.

>-----Original Message-----
>Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence
of spyware:
>>
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

>>
>> Symantec Security Check
>>
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

>>
>> 3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
>>
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>>
>> Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx
>>
>> Steps that you can take to help identify and to help
protect
>> yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and
malicious hyperlinks
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=833786
>>
>Thank you so much Carey
>
>Firstly I ran the Symantec Secirity Check which took over
an hour so it
>must have done a thorough job and it reported that my pc
was clean and
>secure.
>
>S4econdly I installed & ran AdAwareSE which found 100
items most of
>which have been quarantined. Not to sure what to do with
these at the
>moment but will read more to see what I should do next.
>
>Finally I will study the three articles you included
hyperlinks for.
>
>Regards
>
>Chevie
>.
>
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:19:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You can get delete those quarantined files when you are in Adaware.
Keeping them is OK because it might have somehow pinpointed a file you
need to run your computer by mistake, But that's never happened to me.
Most are just cookies I believe. I just delete quarantined files after my
next batch is identified by Adaware.
...D.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with, and having some new friends to Instant Message.
Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know computers can help you.
Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).

---------------------------------------
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:15:26 +0100, Chevie Brewer
<Chevie@brewer.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:
>> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>>
>> Symantec Security Check
>> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>>
>> 3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>>
>> Help Safeguard Your Personal Information Online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/spoof.mspx
>>
>> Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
>> yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=833786
>>
>Thank you so much Carey
>
>Firstly I ran the Symantec Secirity Check which took over an hour so it
>must have done a thorough job and it reported that my pc was clean and
>secure.
>
>S4econdly I installed & ran AdAwareSE which found 100 items most of
>which have been quarantined. Not to sure what to do with these at the
>moment but will read more to see what I should do next.
>
>Finally I will study the three articles you included hyperlinks for.
>
>Regards
>
>Chevie
!