No Audio Device

XP Professional, 2.8 ghz, 512 ram, C & D drive. I was running low on disk
space on the C and decided to do a search for superfluous jpg files- began
merrily erasing everything that looked unimportant including a bunch that
were in the java cache(?). After doing all that, problems really began:

Don't have any sound at all - tried using Kelley's fixes but then found out
that I have "no audio device."
Turning on and shutting down computer take triple the amount of time that it
took in the past.
The chevron used to hide and unhide the icons on bottom-right of taskbar has
disappeared even tho I configured it to do so on properties of taskbar.

Have installed and kept updated adaware, spybot, spyblaster, and norton
anti-virus. Doesn't seem to be a spyware problem.

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks,
AB

Hi, Alex;

Not sure that deleting the files in your Java cache caused this, but until
we have to know more let's work on that.

First, dowload/install the Sun Java Runtime from here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (check the JRE link mid-page).

Even though you may not be prompted to do so, Restart your computer.

Second, download/install the latest version of the MS scripting engine
files. As of today that is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

(yeah, that is a newer version than included in XP SP2, so grab it. <g>).

Restart.

Now hopefully that will correct whatever was done in the Java class
deletions you made earlier. You will then need to work with the "low on
disk space issue" directly rather than killing files you might need later.
<G> What are the size and free space numbers on your C: and D: drives?

--

....Sky

================

Alex_Bachrach wrote:
> XP Professional, 2.8 ghz, 512 ram, C & D drive. I was running low on disk
> space on the C and decided to do a search for superfluous jpg files- began
> merrily erasing everything that looked unimportant including a bunch that
> were in the java cache(?). After doing all that, problems really began:

I don't know what Kelly's fixes are so I don't know what you've tried so far.
If you are being told you have no sound device, try going into ControlPanel
and open up System. Choose the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager.
Expand the Sound, Vidoe and games section and right-click on each node to
select their Properties. This should tell you if the device is working or
not. If it isn't, or you can identify the one you need, try reinstalling the
driver.

If you've deleted some of the Java files, perhaps a Java newsgroup could
help you out.

"Alex_Bachrach" wrote:

> XP Professional, 2.8 ghz, 512 ram, C & D drive. I was running low on disk
> space on the C and decided to do a search for superfluous jpg files- began
> merrily erasing everything that looked unimportant including a bunch that
> were in the java cache(?). After doing all that, problems really began:
>
> Don't have any sound at all - tried using Kelley's fixes but then found out
> that I have "no audio device."
> Turning on and shutting down computer take triple the amount of time that it
> took in the past.
> The chevron used to hide and unhide the icons on bottom-right of taskbar has
> disappeared even tho I configured it to do so on properties of taskbar.
>
> Have installed and kept updated adaware, spybot, spyblaster, and norton
> anti-virus. Doesn't seem to be a spyware problem.
>
> HELP PLEASE!
>
> Thanks,
> AB

Thanks- did what you suggested- node for Legacy Audio says device is working
properly. However, when clicking on properties under the device, nothing
shows up. Now for the dumb question: how do I reinstall the driver(s) which
seem to be from Legacy Audio.

"cashdeskmac" <cashdeskmac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what Kelly's fixes are so I don't know what you've tried so
far.
> If you are being told you have no sound device, try going into
ControlPanel
> and open up System. Choose the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager.
> Expand the Sound, Vidoe and games section and right-click on each node to
> select their Properties. This should tell you if the device is working or
> not. If it isn't, or you can identify the one you need, try reinstalling
the
> driver.
>
> If you've deleted some of the Java files, perhaps a Java newsgroup could
> help you out.
>
> "Alex_Bachrach" wrote:
>
> > XP Professional, 2.8 ghz, 512 ram, C & D drive. I was running low on
disk
> > space on the C and decided to do a search for superfluous jpg files-
began
> > merrily erasing everything that looked unimportant including a bunch
that
> > were in the java cache(?). After doing all that, problems really began:
> >
> > Don't have any sound at all - tried using Kelley's fixes but then found
out
> > that I have "no audio device."
> > Turning on and shutting down computer take triple the amount of time
that it
> > took in the past.
> > The chevron used to hide and unhide the icons on bottom-right of taskbar
has
> > disappeared even tho I configured it to do so on properties of taskbar.
> >
> > Have installed and kept updated adaware, spybot, spyblaster, and norton
> > anti-virus. Doesn't seem to be a spyware problem.
> >
> > HELP PLEASE!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > AB

Hi all, I have a similar problem (no sound) but I do have a sound card and
think the problem has been caused by the fact I have deleted a media player
(can't remeber what it was called as I didn't load it!) but in deleting it -
it appears to have caused changes in the registry which make the sound card
appear to be invisible. The MS recommendation was to go into the registry,
export the relevant key and delete it, but it will not delete! any
suggestions please would be gratefully received. Thanks Chris

"Alex_Bachrach" wrote:

> Thanks- did what you suggested- node for Legacy Audio says device is working
> properly. However, when clicking on properties under the device, nothing
> shows up. Now for the dumb question: how do I reinstall the driver(s) which
> seem to be from Legacy Audio.
>
> "cashdeskmac" <cashdeskmac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what Kelly's fixes are so I don't know what you've tried so
> far.
> > If you are being told you have no sound device, try going into
> ControlPanel
> > and open up System. Choose the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager.
> > Expand the Sound, Vidoe and games section and right-click on each node to
> > select their Properties. This should tell you if the device is working or
> > not. If it isn't, or you can identify the one you need, try reinstalling
> the
> > driver.
> >
> > If you've deleted some of the Java files, perhaps a Java newsgroup could
> > help you out.
> >
> > "Alex_Bachrach" wrote:
> >
> > > XP Professional, 2.8 ghz, 512 ram, C & D drive. I was running low on
> disk
> > > space on the C and decided to do a search for superfluous jpg files-
> began
> > > merrily erasing everything that looked unimportant including a bunch
> that
> > > were in the java cache(?). After doing all that, problems really began:
> > >
> > > Don't have any sound at all - tried using Kelley's fixes but then found
> out
> > > that I have "no audio device."
> > > Turning on and shutting down computer take triple the amount of time
> that it
> > > took in the past.
> > > The chevron used to hide and unhide the icons on bottom-right of taskbar
> has
> > > disappeared even tho I configured it to do so on properties of taskbar.
> > >
> > > Have installed and kept updated adaware, spybot, spyblaster, and norton
> > > anti-virus. Doesn't seem to be a spyware problem.
> > >
> > > HELP PLEASE!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > AB

Hi;

You might try right-clicking .:\WINDOWS\inf\wave.inf and selecting Install.
Not sure that will do the job as it likely depends on the OEM for the sound
chipset on your system. Is this a Creative Labs sound device, or ???

--

....Sky

Alex_Bachrach wrote:
> Thanks- did what you suggested- node for Legacy Audio says device is
> working properly. However, when clicking on properties under the device,
> nothing shows up. Now for the dumb question: how do I reinstall the
> driver(s) which seem to be from Legacy Audio.

TRENDING THREADS