Fallout MMOG in the Works

exfileme

Splendid
I so wish I could post news....

Today Interplay released a PR stating that it reported a net income of $5.86 million for 2007, an increase of over 500% from last year's numbers. However, the easter egg of the financial brief was the mention of a Fallout MMOG even though the company "sold" the intellectual property last year. Apparently Interplay is now securing the funds to develop the MMOG. Interplay also stated that the in-house development studio was re-instated, and that the company is currently hiring game developers.

Additionally, Interplay also plans to bring other popular franchises back into the spotlight as well with sequels to Earthworm Jim, Dark Alliance, Descent, MDK and more.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I don't think they could legally use the Fallout name since they sold the franchise to Bethesda, unless there was some clause in the agreement about future titles. Either way a MMO based off the Fallout world would be very cool.

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I don't think they could legally use the Fallout name since they sold the franchise to Bethesda, unless there was some clause in the agreement about future titles

Althought Interplay sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda, as part of the deal they became a licensee to make a Fallout MMO and are seeking funding to bankroll it.

Here is quote from the Interplay CEO: "With that difficult period behind us, we are focused on securing funding for development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) based on the popular Fallout franchise. Along with our strategy of leveraging our existing portfolio of intellectual gaming properties, Fallout Online will play a key role in the future of Interplay."

Rob and I mentioned it in our episode of Second Take: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_the_top_5_games_to_make_into_mmos.html

Let's hope they make it!
-Ben

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hmm, this could turn out really well or really poorly. I really (I mean REALLY!) want a non-fantasy MMO as it's so played out already. LORTO, WoW, UO, AoC, Warhammer, etc. Give me something Sci-fi (or post-apocalypse!). It guess we'll just have to wait and see how they go about this. :D

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

If you cannot wait till it is released, you could try out Tabula Rasa, a sci-fi MMO. There is review on Tom's (check out the sticky for the link). I played it for awhile and its fun if MMO's are your thing.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

Something is very wrong with that sentence.. you do realise that, don't you?

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

Wow, your wife sounds like a controlling harpy. Why do so many husbands seem complacent with the fact that they've basically had their freedom stripped from them.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

Because the majority of men that are not that complacent about it, are no longer married?

The thing is, a certain part of the female population consists of control freaks and only men that feel comfortable with that will stay in that situation. The rest moves on.

The other way around is also present, where the male is the control freak in the relationship. In this case you will more often see that wives will stay in the relationship because they feel they have nowhere else to go. Obviously a mistake, that will ruin the remainder of their lives (I'm not talking about the group that is actually happy with such a relationship).

Not complacent - Accepting of the fact that, in getting married, our world no longer revolves around merely ourselves. That, and once you've been married a while you learn what things are worth the hassle of fighting for, and what's better to accept/blow off in order to keep the peace.

I won't, and will not, fight with the wife over a video game.

b3n

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007

But would you fight the wife IN a video game? :)

exfileme

Splendid
Well it also goes back to that whole "video game addiction" argument. I tend to be a bit obsessive when it comes to MMORPGs, and the time spent playing them has cause quite a conflict with between us. It is not a control issue on her part; it's a self-discipline issue on my part.

But when you get married, the slogan "two become one" comes into play and it shouldn't be taken lightly. You are to put your family first, not yourself. So if a particular game comes before your responsibilities, then that game needs to go. Simple as that.

Now I will admit to playing here or there in the past because -as I just explained- I'm a bit obsessive. Is it an addiction? I can be. It probably is. I would love to romp around Rubi-Ka or Norrath. I can just taste it. Will I do it in front of my wife? Hell no, and I have given her every reason to "ban" me from playing them.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I just can't wait for Fallout 3, not really interested in paying for anymore mmo's, I do await patiently for Guild Wars 2 (beta this year), and as always, no fee.

Is that a credit card or WoW monthly card? lol :p
donot%20copy.gif