Sign in with
Your question

Game Peformance has dropped in Vista, Any Ideas ?

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2008 5:52:35 AM

First post woot !!!

Just Upgraded from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium and now that i have games like crysis which previously ran smoothly now are slow, i assume this is because i dont have enough ram or its because i have now enabled the option on my mobo to steal my ram

any ideas ?

here are my system specs

Q6600 @ 2.4 | ThermalTake Volcano V1 Cooler |
ASUS Striker II Formula | Kingston 2048MB 1066MHz DDR2 RAM - 5-5-5-15 - Hyper X SLI Ready Series | OCZ 850W GameXStream SLI Ready Power Supply | ASUS GeForce 8800GTS - 512MB DDR3 TOP Edition | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD

April 9, 2008 6:59:48 AM

From my experience with Crysis, I've found that DX10 mode runs a little slower than DX9 mode. Under Vista, it uses the DX10 renderer to run the game, assuming that the hardware is compliant (which yours is).

In the games explorer, right click on Crysis and choose the DX9 option, see if that makes any difference (it should).

What other games did you find are running slower?
April 9, 2008 9:54:38 AM

Vista has never been as efficient at gaming as XP is, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. But, with Vista being the little memory hog it is, doubling your RAM wouldn't hurt at all. I know I noticed quite a nice speed up when I quadded my ram from 2gb to 8gb.
Related resources
April 9, 2008 11:33:06 AM

Kraynor said:
Vista has never been as efficient at gaming as XP is, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. But, with Vista being the little memory hog it is, doubling your RAM wouldn't hurt at all. I know I noticed quite a nice speed up when I quadded my ram from 2gb to 8gb.

and you are running VISTA x64 right?
April 9, 2008 11:48:37 AM

Wouldn't be much point to 8gb ram if I wasn't now, would there ;) 
Vista Ultimate x64 :) 
April 9, 2008 12:38:29 PM

I tried running crysis on DirectX9 on Vista and that seemed to make no difference to the perfomance, i guess that i just dont have enough ram so i guess i just need to get more ram

Wanted to add another 4GB of Ram to my System but ive only got two more Ram slots left and i cant seem to find any ram with the same specs as i have now in 2GB sticks, 4GB should be pletty if i just get more of the same RAM or not ???
April 9, 2008 1:00:17 PM

4 will be plenty.

But be advised that running 4 DIMMS can take a little extra tweaking.
April 9, 2008 1:19:45 PM

Unless you've got a 64-bit installation of Vista, 8gb wouldn't do you any good since it wouldn't be able to address it. My system isn't primerally for gaming anyway, and if it were I'd admit that 8gb is overkill. 4gb would be absolutely fine.
April 9, 2008 1:29:58 PM

Ive Got a 64Bit Version of Vista so adressing RAM wont be an issue thanks for all the help and advice guys ill order my extra 2GB of Ram tommorrow, lol and maybe another 8800 GTS while im at it
!