Asssign Drive Letter to a Folder on Stand Alone XP Pro Mac..

I have a business that uses Windows 98 & Office 2000 with 4 machines
netwworked together peer to peer. I have an Access 2000 database which is
split into a front end(forms, code, etc) on each machine, but all the data is
held on one (my) machine in a separate linked database. On the network the
other machines see the machine holding the data as "R" and on that machine I
have used the DOS subst command in the Autoexec.bat to treat my machine as
well as "C". This means that my version of the front end database can see
the raw data in the linked database on "R".

I now have XP Professional on my home machine and if I want to take work
home I copy the up to date data over to the home machine - when I had WIn 98
at home I used the subst command to make C:\Richard treated as "R" on the
home machine. I merely copied the raw data to that directory from a ZIP
disk and the front end database could read it. It is quite a business
setting up linked directories in Access so I don't want to have a different
front end database on each machine - I want to be able to get XP to treat a
particular folder, say c:\Richard as "R".

Does anybody know how I can do this?

(I know that copying an entire database is somewhat cumbersome, but I cannot
yet afford to go as far as having a more sophisticated remote access
solution.)
3 answers Last reply
More about asssign drive letter folder stand

    Hi, Richard;

    The SUBST command still works under XP SP2 as you describe. Just making it
    happen is a bit different than in Win9x systems. :)

    Suggest you create a .BAT file in your Utility folder (and if you don't have
    such a folder you should <g>) by using Notepad to copy/paste the following
    and then save as Subt1.bat (or the name you like better):

    @echo off
    subst R: c:\richard

    Naturally change the "c:\richard" to whatever folder you wish. Test the
    Subt1.BAT file to verify it works by opening My Computer and looking for
    drive R: after executing the batch file. Once you have the Subt1.BAT file
    completed and have tested it, you can put a shortcut to it in your StartUp
    folder to get it to launch automatically.

    Since you have been using it a while, I'm sure you are already aware of some
    quirks associated with using the SUBST command.

    HTH :)

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    Richard Webster SolrUK wrote:
    > I have a business that uses Windows 98 & Office 2000 with 4 machines
    > netwworked together peer to peer. I have an Access 2000 database which
    > is split into a front end(forms, code, etc) on each machine, but all the
    > data is held on one (my) machine in a separate linked database. On the
    > network the other machines see the machine holding the data as "R" and on
    > that machine I have used the DOS subst command in the Autoexec.bat to
    > treat my machine as well as "C". This means that my version of the
    > front end database can see the raw data in the linked database on "R".
    >
    > I now have XP Professional on my home machine and if I want to take work
    > home I copy the up to date data over to the home machine - when I had WIn
    > 98 at home I used the subst command to make C:\Richard treated as "R" on
    > the home machine. I merely copied the raw data to that directory from a
    > ZIP disk and the front end database could read it. It is quite a
    > business setting up linked directories in Access so I don't want to have
    > a different front end database on each machine - I want to be able to get
    > XP to treat a particular folder, say c:\Richard as "R".
    >
    > Does anybody know how I can do this?

    Have you shared the database and then done a permanent drive mapping to it.
    This should also work. Simply use simple file sharing to share the
    directory (right click on the directory and then click on sharing and
    security. Click on radio button to allow sharing on network. Once this is
    done click on Tools, Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer. In the drive
    box click on the arrow or box and select drive R: In the folder, click on
    browse and then click on Microsoft Windows Network. Double click on the
    workgroup name then machine's name and then on the folder name. Make sure
    that reconnect at logon is checked and then click Finish.

    "Richard Webster SolrUK" <Richard Webster SolrUK@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:60081AF8-B78B-46CB-A583-0B3D8FE3D7AA@microsoft.com...
    > I have a business that uses Windows 98 & Office 2000 with 4 machines
    > netwworked together peer to peer. I have an Access 2000 database which
    is
    > split into a front end(forms, code, etc) on each machine, but all the data
    is
    > held on one (my) machine in a separate linked database. On the network
    the
    > other machines see the machine holding the data as "R" and on that machine
    > have used the DOS subst command in the Autoexec.bat to treat my machine as
    > well as "C". This means that my version of the front end database can
    see
    > the raw data in the linked database on "R".
    >
    > I now have XP Professional on my home machine and if I want to take work
    > home I copy the up to date data over to the home machine - when I had WIn
    98
    > at home I used the subst command to make C:\Richard treated as "R" on the
    > home machine. I merely copied the raw data to that directory from a ZIP
    > disk and the front end database could read it. It is quite a business
    > setting up linked directories in Access so I don't want to have a
    different
    > front end database on each machine - I want to be able to get XP to treat
    > particular folder, say c:\Richard as "R".
    >
    > Does anybody know how I can do this?
    >
    > (I know that copying an entire database is somewhat cumbersome, but I
    cannot
    > yet afford to go as far as having a more sophisticated remote access
    > solution.)

    Hi Sky King,

    I wasn't sure what you meant by the <g> in the middle of your post - but I
    created a Utilities directory and saved a txt document as you suggested as
    Subt1.bat. I then double clicjked on it and lo and behold the R: drive
    appeared in the Windows Explorere window! It worked. I then saved a
    shortrcut to it in the StartUp folder and rebooted and that worked too!

    Thanks very much for that.

    If LV Travel reads this thanks to him/her also for the suggestion, but I was
    a little unhappy at the security implicationds which would apparently be
    involved in setting up a shared directory on non-existent network.

    Regards,

    Richard Webster SolrUK

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Hi, Richard;
    >
    > The SUBST command still works under XP SP2 as you describe. Just making it
    > happen is a bit different than in Win9x systems. :)
    >
    > Suggest you create a .BAT file in your Utility folder (and if you don't have
    > such a folder you should <g>) by using Notepad to copy/paste the following
    > and then save as Subt1.bat (or the name you like better):
    >
    > @echo off
    > subst R: c:\richard
    >
    > Naturally change the "c:\richard" to whatever folder you wish. Test the
    > Subt1.BAT file to verify it works by opening My Computer and looking for
    > drive R: after executing the batch file. Once you have the Subt1.BAT file
    > completed and have tested it, you can put a shortcut to it in your StartUp
    > folder to get it to launch automatically.
    >
    > Since you have been using it a while, I'm sure you are already aware of some
    > quirks associated with using the SUBST command.
    >
    > HTH :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > ....Sky
    >
    > ================
    >

    > Richard Webster SolrUK wrote:
    > > I have a business that uses Windows 98 & Office 2000 with 4 machines
    > > netwworked together peer to peer. I have an Access 2000 database which
    > > is split into a front end(forms, code, etc) on each machine, but all the
    > > data is held on one (my) machine in a separate linked database. On the
    > > network the other machines see the machine holding the data as "R" and on
    > > that machine I have used the DOS subst command in the Autoexec.bat to
    > > treat my machine as well as "C". This means that my version of the
    > > front end database can see the raw data in the linked database on "R".
    > >
    > > I now have XP Professional on my home machine and if I want to take work
    > > home I copy the up to date data over to the home machine - when I had WIn
    > > 98 at home I used the subst command to make C:\Richard treated as "R" on
    > > the home machine. I merely copied the raw data to that directory from a
    > > ZIP disk and the front end database could read it. It is quite a
    > > business setting up linked directories in Access so I don't want to have
    > > a different front end database on each machine - I want to be able to get
    > > XP to treat a particular folder, say c:\Richard as "R".
    > >
    > > Does anybody know how I can do this?

Database Windows XP