Sign in with
Your question

What's the most current PS3 "must play" list?

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2008 4:20:30 PM

Thanks to a gift certificate and a coupon I got a 80 GB PS 3 combo with Motor Storm and Virtua tennis for $450.

Good by PC upgrade (for at least 8 months); I couldn't pass that up; it'll be here Friday :D  .

I'm going to play try to play through whatever "must play" titles are out there this summer. From what I've heard, there aren't a huge number yet. The only game that cought my eye immediately was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (I loved Tomb Raider when it came out).

Any other suggestions?

More about : current ps3 play list

April 9, 2008 6:03:39 PM

Warhawk is a pretty good multiplayer game, and comes with a bluetooth headset if you buy the retail version. I only own Uncharted and Warhawk, but I did enjoy the Ratchet & Clank demo.
Related resources
April 10, 2008 3:43:31 AM

I'm gonna have to check out Ratchet & Clank; that looks pretty fun.

I might go for DIRT on the PS3; at least it won't deposit Starforce there (I guess anyway).
April 12, 2008 12:46:02 PM

Ananan said:
Thanks to a gift certificate and a coupon I got a 80 GB PS 3 combo with Motor Storm and Virtua tennis for $450.

Good by PC upgrade (for at least 8 months); I couldn't pass that up; it'll be here Friday :D  .

I'm going to play try to play through whatever "must play" titles are out there this summer. From what I've heard, there aren't a huge number yet. The only game that cought my eye immediately was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (I loved Tomb Raider when it came out).

Any other suggestions?

Oooops ... only 3 reply's dont sound good for the ps3 yet.... Lets hope the titles come out soon
April 12, 2008 1:42:42 PM

You're right, 3 replies is a little scary. But I got it as a Blue-ray player as well.

I came yesterday, but I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Tonight I'll see how good this thing really is.
April 12, 2008 6:46:35 PM

Personally, when I get a PS3 this summer, I'm going to pick up the following "must-play" titles:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Grand Theft Auto 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Rock Band
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

I will probably also pick up one or two of the following:

Burnout Paradise
Dirt
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

And as for the last of these, I'll pick up to two or three. Still need to assess their entertainment value and compare them to their PC versions. I've got a PC that will play anything and I prefer PC games over console games. Here they are:

The Darkness (I usually stay away from console shooters, though)
Skate
Motorstorm
Devil May Cry 4
Guitar Hero 3
Assassin's Creed
Condemned 2

Check out this link if you want to have a look for yourself. Pay attention to the meta-scores. There are some crap games in the top 10.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&ta...
April 13, 2008 9:07:52 AM

Plugged it in, no doubt it's a cool machine.

But I noticed video and audio problems right away. Bands would strobe up the screen, and it emitted a fairly loud hum.

I tried everything I could think of but nothing solved it. Very depressing to say the least. I was already imagining the hours of phone time I was gonna face returning this thing.

Then I finally googled as a last resort. I don't know why it took me so long; I guess I was in console mode.

It appears many people have had grounding issues with the PS3. If you have those issues you have to use a two prong adapter. It makes the problems go away (at least it did in my case).

Man was I relieved.

April 13, 2008 8:30:23 PM

Ananan said:
Plugged it in, no doubt it's a cool machine.

But I noticed video and audio problems right away. Bands would strobe up the screen, and it emitted a fairly loud hum.

I tried everything I could think of but nothing solved it. Very depressing to say the least. I was already imagining the hours of phone time I was gonna face returning this thing.

Then I finally googled as a last resort. I don't know why it took me so long; I guess I was in console mode.

It appears many people have had grounding issues with the PS3. If you have those issues you have to use a two prong adapter. It makes the problems go away (at least it did in my case).

Man was I relieved.

Good grief... What a pile of technocrap....

We had to put a earthing strap on old record players......

Maybe Sony found a niche...
April 14, 2008 1:40:06 AM

I've experienced no such problem with my PS3.
April 14, 2008 3:54:19 AM

I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm dogging the PS3. Hey - I'm rooting for it now since I own one.

It was more relief that the problem was easy to fix. It works perfectly now.

It is not, however, any quieter than a 360. I say the noise levels are equal. The only difference is that the 360's fan starts immediately and the PS3's takes a while to kick on.
April 14, 2008 7:08:46 AM

Ananan said:
I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm dogging the PS3. Hey - I'm rooting for it now since I own one.

It is not, however, any quieter than a 360. I say the noise levels are equal. The only difference is that the 360's fan starts immediately and the PS3's takes a while to kick on.

Just like the console then.. :bounce: 
April 14, 2008 12:08:22 PM

Early 360s are a lot louder than the newer ones. My PS3 runs almost silently but the 360 sounds like a mini-motorbike. In fact, I can tell if a game is loading properly on start-up (and not doing that DVD error thing) if I hear the loud noise starting up when I put the disc tray in.

As for PS3 games - don't forget Resistance and there's some good downloadable games too. Flow is good (short and sweet) as is Everyday Shooter. Pain is a novelty game and is fun for an hour two but has no staying power.

April 14, 2008 5:06:47 PM

Ananan said:

Any other suggestions?

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Resistance Fall of Man
Warhawk
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
If you dont have it for PC or 360 then also, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

There are alot of games comming out this year and early next year that make owning a PS3 a good investment, but I just wanted to list the ones you can play today or in the case of GT5P within the next 2 days! lol

Best,

3Ball
April 14, 2008 5:17:47 PM

promac said:
Early 360s are a lot louder than the newer ones. My PS3 runs almost silently but the 360 sounds like a mini-motorbike. In fact, I can tell if a game is loading properly on start-up (and not doing that DVD error thing) if I hear the loud noise starting up when I put the disc tray in.

As for PS3 games - don't forget Resistance and there's some good downloadable games too. Flow is good (short and sweet) as is Everyday Shooter. Pain is a novelty game and is fun for an hour two but has no staying power.

Yea my roommate has an older ps3 (original 60gb) and after a while that thing gets pretty loud. I have the 40gb though which uses the 65nm Cell and it runs much cooler causing the fan to never kick up like his. I have an older extremely loud 360, but it is even louder than my roommates PS3 at full tilt.

On the flip side my friend who has a newer 360. The sound level is very similar to that of my roommates older PS3 once that fan kicks in, but neither of them compare to how silent my newer PS3 is. It never gets loud at all. Just thought I would share that. There are just so many different skews of these things lol

Best,

3Ball
April 14, 2008 5:58:35 PM

Ananan said:

I don't know what's up with your PS3 then; I have a brand new Elite (thanks to Microsoft having to replace my first one) and when idling it's not too much louder than the PS3; this however changes drastically as soon as you start a game in the DVD drive. Unlike the Xbox360's DVD drive, any additional noise produced by the Blu-ray drive is unnoticeable.
!