Backup Blues

When copying backup file to cd, all goes well until end, when error message
says "cd writing wizard" can't complete task because "cd is unusable". Using
new cd-rw with 4x speed. Any suggestions? Is it unreasonable to ask why
this has to be so f*x<!!!spfft#%* difficult?!

--
Linda
4 answers Last reply

    You need UDF packet writing software like INCD or Direct CD to format the CD
    first.In that way XP's Backup program will treat it like any other HD and write
    to it during the backup procedure.
    peter
    "daizedandconfused" <daizedandconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6C2F9598-0821-4529-8609-412757CC1347@microsoft.com...
    > When copying backup file to cd, all goes well until end, when error message
    > says "cd writing wizard" can't complete task because "cd is unusable". Using
    > new cd-rw with 4x speed. Any suggestions? Is it unreasonable to ask why
    > this has to be so f*x<!!!spfft#%* difficult?!
    >
    > --
    > Linda

    Packet-writing software isn't necessary. The OP should be
    able to burn files to a CD-RW without it. It could be
    a problem with the disk itself (a new one should be
    tried) with the speed rating of the disk, or even the
    brand.

    Only on XP pro!
    peter

    Wislu Plethora wrote:

> [...]

    AT least not with XP Home. You can use a CD-RW if you wish but at the
    end of the burn it will close it just like if it were a CD-R.

    I'm using Sonic's DLA patch that allows my XP to treat my CD/DVD burner
    as if it were a floppy or hard drive. This way I can "save" to any CD-RW
    over and over as if I were saving to a floppy. This is good when backing
    up apps to my CD-RW (i.e, Quicken, Word, technical apps from work, etc.)
    on a daily basis, using the disc over and over (and its back-up
    alternates) until either full or it starts to create errors when writing.

    --
    Paul R

Backup CD-Rom Windows XP