Falcon Northwest FragBox 2 Review

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
$1500 for a falcon is a good price indeed.

Am I just blind or did they miss the Crysis benchie?

Shuttle supposedly has a flame-red SDXi model with SLI, or so they claim.

dirian

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
The commant about the video card being a glaring weakness i think shows one of the objectives of this computer was missed by the reviewer. if you are going to haul this thing out to a lan party you likely arent going to take that 21" CRT monitor that weighs 50lbs. you probably are going to take an LCD monitor. And for most LCD monitors a single video card of the caliber thats in this system will push its resolution just fine. Its just a matter of targeting the likely customer and their likely uses of the system.

tabarin

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
What are the system specs for the iBuyPower 1500 that you're testing against? I did a google search and I couldn't find any system by that name. Also, how tolerable is the system noise level? Thanks

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

I think there's a link to the iBuyPower specs from the original review on Tom's Guide, but here it is just in case:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ibuypower-gaming-pc,review-1069-3.html

Also, the FragBox noise level was lower than I expected. I personally did not find it intrusive at all.

roger smith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have been told that micro-atx motherboards are inferior to standard-atx motherboards as far as performance goes. What i was told is that micro-atx has an on-board gpu that even when disabled and a video card is added, a performance hit is still encored; is this true? The idea of getting a micro-atx motherboard is greatly appealing to me; both for the price and for my love of minimalism. I am a one disc drive, two hard drive kinda guy. I was also planning on getting the cheaper DDR-II ram so the fact that there really isn't DDR-III in m-atx isn't a huge problem. The last consideration is heat, but i am sure that if i get the right case, heat will not be an issue. I want to get the most power for the money, is micro-atx something i should consider?

PS: i suppose the inability to over-clock may also be a problem for best performance/cost ratio.

drunkgamer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Anyone happen to know if Tom's has done a review of their recent switch to Penryn/790i/DDR3 Mach V offering desktop in addition to this fragbox?

Or if anyone has one, I'd love to hear about your experiences in addition to the comments about the fragbox.