• PC gaming
  • Oblivion
  • Computers
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
April 10, 2008 5:57:41 PM

Hello,

I would like your honest answers about what kind of content is in this game.

I have younger siblings that play on my computer and watch what I play as well so I don't want to get this game if it contains too much ''stuff''.

What profanities are used? Do they say F*** or any variant off of it?

How much sexual content and nudity is in here as well? I read about the re-rating of this game and I thought it was stupid to give it an ''M'' because of 3'rd party mods.

I am not too worried about violence in this game as all the vids I watched of it didn't look to bad. What's the goriest part in this game?

As for all the magic it didn't look too bad. Do they go into any heavy duty witchcraft?

I realize that everyone has different opinions on what is inappropriate and what is not. But I'm not trying to say what is right or wrong here I simply would like to know what this game contains.

Thanks!

More about : elder scrolls oblivion

April 10, 2008 6:03:40 PM

No Nudity. No Swearing.

The Audacity of showing 'Ale' and 'Wine'

Fighting.

They'll have seen far 'worse' on television. They'll have seen 'worse' in lord OF the rings.
April 10, 2008 6:16:07 PM

nudity extends only as far as stealing somone you just killed's armour, but you would need a mod to remove their "undies"
Related resources
April 10, 2008 6:17:14 PM

You can mod pretty much anything.

There's probably nude mods for Super Mario Bros. out there.

IMO that's never a reason not to buy a game.
April 10, 2008 6:19:24 PM

Ananan said:
You can mod pretty much anything.

There's probably nude mods for Super Mario Bros. out there.

IMO that's never a reason not to buy a game.

+1

Ok so there is no nudity without mods but any of the other stuff?
April 10, 2008 6:19:50 PM

spuddyt said:
nudity extends only as far as stealing somone you just killed's armour, but you would need a mod to remove their "undies"

*puts on pedantic HAT*

That's not nudity.
April 10, 2008 6:23:27 PM

There really isn't anything bad in here.
There is no gore. There is a bit of blood, but you can turn it off.
The fighting is almost 'cartoony' is isn't visceral and disturbing.

I've no idea why this is even rated a Mature.
Maybe some of the morals are dubious if you join the thieves or dark brotherhood guild.
Aside from that, there is nothing I wouldn't show a child in here.
April 10, 2008 6:30:45 PM

In my opinion this game is pretty modest when it comes to questionable content (at least what I consider questionable). No swearing (all the dialog is pretty bland) not much gore (no dismemberment, blood splats are so weak the game would be better off without them) and the characters are too ugly for sex. Seriously if there was a sex scene in Oblivion it would be so frightening that it would actually work as a great deterent for underage sex. As far as witchcraft and other demonic themes it's really up to what you're comfortable with. Personally I don't believe that pretending you have magic powers will lead directly to human sacrifice. I let my six year old play this game a little and really the worst part I can think of is the GTA style of open ended gameplay where you can choose to do whatever you want. If my son was running around killing every towns person just for fun I might be concerned, but more about him than the game.
April 10, 2008 6:36:31 PM

purplerat said:
is the GTA style of open ended gameplay where you can choose to do whatever you want.

That's a plus for me :) 

Hmm... from what everyone has said it doesn't sound to bad at all. Sounds about as bad as The Legend Of Zelda OoT or MM.(haven't played twilight princess yet) just with better graphics.
April 10, 2008 6:48:57 PM

purplerat said:
In my opinion this game is pretty modest when it comes to questionable content (at least what I consider questionable). No swearing (all the dialog is pretty bland) not much gore (no dismemberment, blood splats are so weak the game would be better off without them) and the characters are too ugly for sex. Seriously if there was a sex scene in Oblivion it would be so frightening that it would actually work as a great deterent for underage sex. As far as witchcraft and other demonic themes it's really up to what you're comfortable with. Personally I don't believe that pretending you have magic powers will lead directly to human sacrifice. I let my six year old play this game a little and really the worst part I can think of is the GTA style of open ended gameplay where you can choose to do whatever you want. If my son was running around killing every towns person just for fun I might be concerned, but more about him than the game.

Thats what the Pretty people mod is for. I love that mod. Made the people look better and made the createable characters much better looking. I like the different hair and eye colors too.

But overall the game is fine for kids.
April 10, 2008 6:54:07 PM

Hmm... I think I'll give it a go!

Thanks people! :) 
April 10, 2008 7:15:06 PM

Yes the pretty people mod does make it much better. But out of the box this game has the ugliest characters of any game I've ever played. The hottest women in the game are the damn lizard ladies because scales don't rinkle or droop.
April 10, 2008 7:40:40 PM

I wonder if anyone has made a star wars mod for it? that would be cool...
April 10, 2008 8:09:25 PM

There are some necromancers, but that's played down as being bad by the mages guild, and the assasins guild missions do ask your to kill people who haven't really done anything wrong but there's no dismemberment or realistic blood.
April 10, 2008 10:06:21 PM

Umm... I'm not sure if people have poor memories or just are very tolerant, but there is some kinda nudity. In the portals to hell there are people left on spikes and stuff tortured and mutilated. These people are completely naked, but there aren't any interested bits left on them.... Boobs and groins seem to have a habit of getting torn off in hell.

Just want to be up front and honest about this. I'd say it is borderline offensive for a young audience. A fairly mature young'un will be able to deal with it no problem, but do be aware of the presence of these things.
April 10, 2008 10:08:19 PM

Oh there is absolutely masses of murder btw
April 11, 2008 1:14:46 AM

infornography42 said:
Umm... I'm not sure if people have poor memories or just are very tolerant, but there is some kinda nudity. In the portals to hell there are people left on spikes and stuff tortured and mutilated. These people are completely naked, but there aren't any interested bits left on them.... Boobs and groins seem to have a habit of getting torn off in hell.

Just want to be up front and honest about this. I'd say it is borderline offensive for a young audience. A fairly mature young'un will be able to deal with it no problem, but do be aware of the presence of these things.

Is that all? Thanks for your honesty btw...:) 
April 11, 2008 1:15:30 AM

jonisginger said:
Oh there is absolutely masses of murder btw

How graphic?
April 11, 2008 5:37:26 AM

physx7 said:
How graphic?

Nothing anybody would get nightmares over.
April 11, 2008 1:18:16 PM

physx7 said:
How graphic?

Not at all; it's an RPG, not Manhunt. :lol: 
April 11, 2008 2:14:26 PM

Heyyou27 said:
Not at all; it's an RPG, not Manhunt. :lol: 

heh..sounds like i can just walk by and not have to stare at em...
April 11, 2008 3:38:46 PM

Why not jump onto youtube and search oblivion.

Admittedly this will not show you the whole game, but I think you'll be able to get a decent idea of the content by working your way though some clips. Just make sure you look at unmodded versions of oblivion.
April 11, 2008 4:16:05 PM

jay_l_a said:
Why not jump onto youtube and search oblivion.

Admittedly this will not show you the whole game, but I think you'll be able to get a decent idea of the content by working your way though some clips. Just make sure you look at unmodded versions of oblivion.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already did ;) 
April 12, 2008 1:39:37 AM

Well I just bought a copy off Eeeeebayyyy. I'll see how it is for myself :)  Hope it works :sweat: 
April 12, 2008 10:29:38 PM

Just to add one opinion from a conservative dad of youngsters, it is not appropriate for young kids to watch. It's mild compared to most FPS games, but still not kid friendly IMO.

My kids love to watch me play and to play themselves, BUT we have some strict rules. They can't enter buildings, talk to people, nor fight 90% of the battles. I have them play pre or post main quest too so as to not get freaked out by Oblivion gates. They can make a charactor, run around in the wild, jump from rooftop to rooftop, pick what cloths they want me to change into for them, open crates and chests, pick flowers, and fight crabs, rats and wolves. I wish there truely was a kidsafe mod for this game. Say like a Nintendo E rated version. I just don't want them seeing people murdering people, dead corpses lying on the ground in their BVD's, gettting too into the spells, etc. Also, whoever said no swearing is off. There are plenty of words in this game not used in my house. Nothing drastic, but still too foul for my kids. Anyway, I play it without them around and when they are around it's not really playing the game but more carefully exploring the world.
April 12, 2008 10:32:34 PM

pauldh said:
Just to add one opinion from a conservative dad of youngsters, it is not appropriate for young kids to watch. It's mild compared to most FPS games, but still not kid friendly IMO.

My kids love to watch me play and to play themselves, BUT we have some strict rules. They can't enter buildings, talk to people, nor fight 90% of the battles. I have them play pre or post main quest too so as to not get freaked out by Oblivion gates. They can make a charactor, run around in the wild, jump from rooftop to rooftop, pick what cloths they want me to change into for them, open crates and chests, pick flowers, and fight crabs, rats and wolves. I wish there truely was a kidsafe mod for this game. Say like a Nintendo E rated version. I just don't want them seeing people murdering people, dead corpses lying on the ground in their BVD's, gettting too into the spells, etc. Also, whoever said no swearing is off. There are plenty of words in this game not used in my house. Nothing drastic, but still too foul for my kids. Anyway, I play it without them around and when they are around it's not really playing the game but more carefully exploring the world.

Oh.. well if I don't like it then I guess I will just have to resell it...

Thanks!

Edit: Wish you had spoke up earlier...:)  What exactly were all the words you heard?
April 12, 2008 11:58:34 PM

Yeah, about that...ooops. Sorry, just saw this and didn't read you had bought it before posting.

I like the game alot, proably 300 hours into it in all. But I just choose to limit the exposer my kids have to it. That said, many other games I play I don't let them see at all. I have a dedicated gaming machine for my own use and play after the lil' ones go to bed. Oblivion I put on the HTPC so they can enjoy it along with me. Like I said, an E rated mod or mini kid friendly version of this game would be a dream for me.
April 13, 2008 3:03:24 AM

pauldh said:
Yeah, about that...ooops. Sorry, just saw this and didn't read you had bought it before posting.

I like the game alot, proably 300 hours into it in all. But I just choose to limit the exposer my kids have to it. That said, many other games I play I don't let them see at all. I have a dedicated gaming machine for my own use and play after the lil' ones go to bed. Oblivion I put on the HTPC so they can enjoy it along with me. Like I said, an E rated mod or mini kid friendly version of this game would be a dream for me.

Well I'll check it out when I get it. Thanks alot for your comments! If I get the time and skills that may be a mod I would make if I keep the game...
April 14, 2008 1:56:38 AM

While the portals to Oblivion do have a bit of violence and gore, I found most of the game not to be too bad. Then again, it's still not a game intended for young kids to play.
April 14, 2008 11:04:18 PM

My youngest sis has watched me play Half Life since she was 4-5.. she turned out somewhat great (a little annoying pest lol, but still a good kid). IMO oblivion is less violent.. sure you gotta kill a few peeps, but sometimes it's pretty funny, gets funnier when you play shivering isles, I couldn't stop laughing when I got that.
April 14, 2008 11:31:13 PM

oh yeah. there is nudity. forgot. seriously, the worst part is teaching your siblings to be rewarded for violence. That's bad.

Oh and your sister is hot.
April 20, 2008 4:39:27 AM

this game is rated M because it is violent and bloody. Not all that much blood though, maybe some on your sword. They do not curse, they use words which no one understands when they say bad things. oh, "bastards!" is the worst of the language in the game, they will say that, once.

This game is awesome, buy it. I played it on the 360 like crazy, then I wanted to play it with mods so I bought it for the PC and now I am buying a new custom gaming machine almost just to play this game. (I will play others of course, in a few years!)

This game will waste your life away, its worth it.
April 20, 2008 2:30:57 PM

victordilorenzo said:
this game is rated M because it is violent and bloody. Not all that much blood though, maybe some on your sword. They do not curse, they use words which no one understands when they say bad things. oh, "bastards!" is the worst of the language in the game, they will say that, once.

This game is awesome, buy it. I played it on the 360 like crazy, then I wanted to play it with mods so I bought it for the PC and now I am buying a new custom gaming machine almost just to play this game. (I will play others of course, in a few years!)

This game will waste your life away, its worth it.

Thanks for all the replies but I am already about 8-13 hours into the game with one oblivion gate closed. :)  So far only a few characters have cursed and the violence is very mild for me.
April 20, 2008 8:21:45 PM

Glad to hear you approve. Enjoying it?
April 21, 2008 3:22:27 AM

infornography42 said:
Glad to hear you approve. Enjoying it?

Yeah so far I'm liking it. I like those games that have a myriad of different options and upgrades and stuff. :) 
April 21, 2008 2:27:37 PM

Try to find a full set of Deaderic armor. Its crazy awesome. I have the uppgrades with the magicians house thing and in the storage room I have a chest for each rare armor and weapon type. I love my Deaderic Bow and the arrows. For some reason I have infinate arrows, the fire ones.

But don't forget to try to do all of the guilds cuz you get some nice stuff there too. I did Fighters, Mages, Theifs, Shadow and the Arena and am the highest rank in all of them.
April 21, 2008 3:18:59 PM

Its a great game I wish you many hundreds of fun hours playing it :) 
April 21, 2008 4:00:37 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Try to find a full set of Deaderic armor. Its crazy awesome. I have the uppgrades with the magicians house thing and in the storage room I have a chest for each rare armor and weapon type. I love my Deaderic Bow and the arrows. For some reason I have infinate arrows, the fire ones.

But don't forget to try to do all of the guilds cuz you get some nice stuff there too. I did Fighters, Mages, Theifs, Shadow and the Arena and am the highest rank in all of them.

Where would I find that kind of armor? And so far I am in the Mages guild and am a bloodletter in the Arena. Even after you beat the main quest can you come back and max out every ability? I want to max out everything before I start modding.
April 22, 2008 12:43:59 AM

physx7 said:
Where would I find that kind of armor? And so far I am in the Mages guild and am a bloodletter in the Arena. Even after you beat the main quest can you come back and max out every ability? I want to max out everything before I start modding.

yeah, you can do anything after the main quest. And don't worry about the daedric armor, it will show up after lvl 18, mostly in oblivion gates. Don't close all the gates until after at least lvl 18.

You'll have access to better stuff at higher lvl's.

April 22, 2008 3:04:18 AM

You spend alot of the game looking forward to better weapons and armor, and then all of a sudden you level up high enough that the stuff is everywhere. I coated my floor in one house with ebony and daedric armor as I hated selling it for a fraction of it's value. Everywhere I walked I kicked the stuff around the floor. It took a long time to clean up the clutter too. :) 
April 22, 2008 4:35:38 AM

victordilorenzo said:
yeah, you can do anything after the main quest. And don't worry about the daedric armor, it will show up after lvl 18, mostly in oblivion gates. Don't close all the gates until after at least lvl 18.

You'll have access to better stuff at higher lvl's.

How many levels are there?

Am now grand champion of the arena.
April 22, 2008 1:17:46 PM

Cool, you got yourself a fanboi now. :) 

Not sure if there is a max level. Some people are in the 40's anyway. I'm somewhere in the lows 30's with my main charactor, and the game seems so easy now. But have a few characters going that I now use more often. Still fun to use th main charactor. Hunting is easy as he can run down a dear and take him with a couple punches. :)  And man is it fun when you can jump like you're on the moon.
April 22, 2008 1:31:43 PM

Under levelling works better than armour from what I remember building up your athletics etc but never sleeping more than you have to so you dont "level" up, you can end up with some stats up at level 40 levels whilst fighting level 2-3 enemies

I seem to remember you can grab the ebony armour and soul stealing sword from umbra?? at a very very low level (tough fight but well worth it) and the sword is awesome (I think its 0 weight for a while or something as well) Theres also the reuseable daedric soul gem that works as the ideal companion for this sword, Its some time since I played the game, I started of levelling as often as possible but soon realised that it wasnt increasing my power at all, as the bad guys levelled with you.

I got to really enjoy my ork with various un armoured robes wandering around laying waste to dungeons with nothing but his bare fists...
April 22, 2008 2:20:13 PM

dtq said:
Under levelling works better than armour from what I remember building up your athletics etc but never sleeping more than you have to so you dont "level" up, you can end up with some stats up at level 40 levels whilst fighting level 2-3 enemies

Ah so you get all the upgraded strengths but since you don't level up no one else does either?
April 22, 2008 3:01:58 PM

Basically yes, the skills that ding as you wander around like block, blade blunt, athletics etc etc still go up but your enemies dont! so you become more powerful than them over time, you can level all those sort of skills to the max, you dont gain more health or magicka etc but you dont need it either as your enemies all stay at their current level! the main quest is easily completed at level 2 :D  (theres one quest that REQUIRES you to sleep along the way) but thats the only time you have to level to do the main quest.

Quest rewards tend to be "levelled" which means that you wont get the level 20 version if you are level 2, but if you are staying low level thats not a problem. I actually quite enjoy wandering around inthe everyday clothes rather than always trying the for the biggest armour you can find...

I have got a character the first one I created who can sleep his way to level 40 ish I believe but is saved in the mid 20's. If you get to the point where you really want to see what daedric armour looks like you can choose to sleep over and over again and level in minutes to give it a go :D .
April 22, 2008 3:11:44 PM

Well for my first play through I think I will level up. On my second go then I will start experimenting :) 

Thanks!
April 22, 2008 3:13:47 PM

I love games with such huge amounts of stuff you can do. After I do everything normal I'll start modding :) 
April 22, 2008 4:34:32 PM

physx7 said:
How many levels are there?

Am now grand champion of the arena.

50 is as far as you can go without doing something to knock your skills down. You can actually achieve lvl 100 if you go to jail a lot after lvl 50. going to jail will reduce your skill lvl's.

Just take note, it is possible to max out your stats by lvl 36, but only if you were to do controlled leveling, and that is very complex and explained here:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

its a pain though. so if your not maxed by 50, just go to jail to get your skill levels knocked down. Trust me though, you don't have to worry about this for a while. This kind of stuff is better left to a second or third play through. Have fun the first time, discover the land, enjoy the sights.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest