Looking for the name of an old PC game... HELP

dazerack

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Ok so I am having trouble remembering the name of a particular PC game. I'd like to see if you can come up with the title for me:

The game was a space adventure game where you flew your ship to other worlds looking for resources and other life. The "aliens" had ships also and you could attack them, visit the planets they lived on etc, and even form treaties and trade resources with them.

In battle depending on how poorly you fought your ship would get damaged, there was a little console you could click on that would show your engine and the parts that were damaged etc. I think it was called a "spin drive" the damaged parts would turn an orangish yellow and depending on the damage you couldn't fly anywhere until they were repaired.

I once got pretty far in the game and had defeated a few "alien races" and had a couple of treaties with others, until I picked a fight with someone I shouldn't have and my ship was damaged beyond what I had the means to fix. My only option was to use the escape pod... which of course ended my game

Does this sound familliar to anyone?

HELP I want to find it again!

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Um... Freelancer maybe? I know what you're talking about, but I'm also having trouble remembering. Going to think about this for a bit and get back to you.

cognatus

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Also not Master of Orion...

Don't know the title either, but hopefully thi'll help you narrow down the list.

It wouls also help if you told us *how* old this game is... i.e., what kind of graphics did it have? What OS did it run on?

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
skyroads, descent, fury, alien crossfire/alpha centauri, elite, escape velocity, sundog:frozen legacy, wing commander: privateer, X: beyond the frontier, starflight, star control, iron seed??

maybe one of those lol

onthemon3y

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
MMMH sounds damn familiar to me as well.

Only 2 I can think of are planets edge from new world computing and Hard Nova from EA. Between these 2 and 550's list its made me think of some damn happy times

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
This thread was obviously started to torture us. It's like when we can't remember a word we want to use mid-sentence and everything just stops.

Yeah, it definitely isn't Freelancer :)

dazerack

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Wow guys I leave for the weekend and get an entire list of games to chose from.... Lightspeed sounds like it might be the winner...

As far as the post about OS and graphics etc goes...
I am guessing that it was probably around Win 95 maybe early Win 98

as for the other games listed here those are all excellent games as well..... spent hours on starcon and the like....

Hey JP550 how did you arrive at Lightspeed?

jp550

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
haha I actually haven't played any of these games before. I spent about 15 minutes searching on wikipedia and then i found it. I knew that it was the game cause it had something about spindrive.

I'm glad i could help

take care

ddd1992

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
well i dont know about your game but can someone help me find this one,

i used to play it wen i was little mabye about 2000 or earlier. it was ina game pack which contained the lion king heretic doom II and other games so probz around the year of all them games.

it was a flying game where you could only fly forward killing everything. you could upgrade your jet every now and then. it was a birds eye view. if you died they would show your jet catch on fire and show ur pilot dead. i cant remember much but thats about it.

G

hey i wonder if you can help me remember a very old game.its like asteroids but you must protect the mothership from the attackers..is a yellow and white ship like chess color..
thx and cumpz
ps:sorry for my english