problems with my new abit it7 max2 v2

Coitus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hi,

I just bought a Abit it7-max2 v2 and a Pentium 4 2,4 ghz with 533 fsb.

I have some problems making it being set at 2,4 ghz. I am not very clever about bios settings and stuff like that so i hope someone can help me or maybe tell me what i am doing wrong here.

I powered up the computer and it was set to 1,8 ghz so i entered the bios to change it to 2,4 ghz. But then when it restarted it told me that "CPU unworkable" and it has changed back to 1,8 ghz. I entered the bios again, and tried with different cpu settings from 2,4 ghz and slower (also slower than 1,8 ghz which it was set to as default from the start). But everytime it told me that "CPU unworkable" but if i set it to 1,8 ghz it works.

If i open Windows XP and look in the system settings it tells me 2,4 ghz (also written on the cpu) but it is running at 1,8 ghz.

I have been reading the manual to find some usefull information but i couldnt find any.

Then maybe it was the bios, so i found the newest bios and installed it, but that didnt help either.

I only have a 2 years old 300 watt power supply and i use a converter to power the cpu with the special 12 volt thingy, but it works fine at 1,8 ghz and as it also gives me the message running in lower speeds I have concluded that i cant be the power supply.

My best guess is the Memory (RAM). I am not so clever at this point, but i only have 2 modules of 256 mb pc2100 ddr-ram and a Noname 512 mb pc 2100 ddr-ram. There is 3 slots on the board for RAM. I cant make the noname module work in the 3 slot on the board, though it worked fine in my old board. why is that ?
I read in the manual that slot 2 and 3 is sharing. But dont know what they are sharing but i guess it is the bandwith or something. Should the noname module maybe be put in slot 1 and then the 2 apacer modules in slot 2 and 3 ?

Will i need faster RAM's to run faster than 1,8 ghz ?

but still i cant understand why it would not allow me to run at lower speeds then.

hope some one have time to help me as i am really frustrated about buying this new board and nothing seems to work... really anyoing...

Kind regards

Martin F... :)

ps. one more question (not about motherboards).. i also bought a Samsung Syncmaster 959nf monitor, should there be 2 lines of pixels across the screen which looks to be damaged or something (one at the top, and one at the bottom) ? really anyoing.

Mixing different brands of any memory will almost guarantee windows blue screen error messages. I would pick one or the other, and sell or return the leftover ddram. Some boards will allow you to use only 4 banks of memory in the 3 slots. If you have 3 double sided sticks (3x2=6), you're out of luck. I have a samsung syncmaster monitor. Try a different resolution setting. Your video card may not support the current setting. If that fails, I would try a different video card or monitor if you can borrow one.