delnaci2

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I have asked a few sources if it was worth upgrading my current computer as of now, and most of the answers I have received were a 'no.'

Now I would like to ask the members of Tom's Hardware.

I'm looking for the 'bang for your buck' kind of thing, because I don't want to be spending 800+ USD for one or two games.

Please post your opinions on this, and list games that would be worth upgrading for.

The current games I could think that would require a system upgrade are:

Assassin's Creed
Crysis

And if it matters, this is my current system:
CPU - AMD Athlon 64x 3500+ 2.2 GHz
GFX - EVGA e-Geforce 7600 GT
RAM - 1 GB

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If you want to upgrade, you'll need a dual core, a faster graphics card and at least 2GB total.

My guess is that your system is S939, so your lucky if you can stil find a dual core CPU.

As a GPU you can get something like a 9600GT, wich will be pretty good for those games. (don't know wich settings you're planning to play them) And the card isn't that expensive.

And just another Gig of RAM, you'll like it ;)

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Im assuming your asking, not so much if there is new technology right around the corner and if you should wait for that, but are there enough good games out there for you to warrant upgrading now?

We would have to have an Idea of games you like.

Overall theres plenty of new good games out there and in the pipeline, I just think if some people are driven just by a particular genre they may be disappointed.

His Shadow

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
If you are interested in playing big budget action games like shooters or RPG's, then no, I wouldn't upgrade. Almost all of those types of games that historically were PC only are now coming out on consoles either first, or even worse, exclusively. You might consider saving the upgrade money and putting it towards a console and HDTV to play it on. If you like MMORPG (WOW, for instance) and RTS games then you should upgrade, but even then, I wouldn't go crazy on specs.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
do you want to play things on max, or are you happy at med-low settings? i assume the latter, cos the 7600 really is starting to.... umm.... (thinks of euphemism for being crap....) "lag a little at higher resolutions" (crysis would absolutely brutalise it).