Sign in with
Your question

Want to get my girlfriend into games, thinking about a Wii?

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2008 4:15:02 PM

My girlfriend (soon 27) expressed a desire to get into video games recently. She's not a natural by any sense of the word and we've had some trouble finding something we both like. Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo is great, and she even beats me sometimes. Unfortunately, one can only play that game so much. I've gone so far as to try The Adventures of Cookie and Cream on the PS2 with her, but the results were disastrous. Always running out of time from falling in the water too much or whatever.

Her sister bought her husband a Wii and I think they've been pretty happy with it. We haven't had a chance to try out a Wii yet, we will this summer when we go to visit them. Anyway, I'm thinking Mario-like games wouldn't be good for her? But I have no idea about the Wii games out there for two people that would be.

Anyone else in this situation? Any game or console advice would be much appreciated :) 
April 13, 2008 5:26:47 PM

im not in that situation but i would recommends a wii and im sure the wii sports will keep u both sync. =]
April 13, 2008 8:45:46 PM

I would probably recommend the Wii. There are some basic sports games that comes with it (it guess it might depend on which of the bundles you buy). The boxing game is pretty good, I get a good workout from it.

If she likes dancing (like most girls/women) then she should like Dance, Dance Revolution. She can have fun and exercise too.

I bought my friend Guitar Hero for the Wii and she loves it.
Related resources
April 13, 2008 8:50:37 PM

I would suggest getting a Wii for starters... it includes Wii Sports and that should give you an idea if she'll really be into games. There are plenty of interactive titles both of you can play. There are also the Nintendo-specific games like Super Mario Galaxy (single-player), Smash Bros. Brawl (multiplayer), Zack & Wiki and so on. Mario Kart Wii hits the streets on the 27th. If she';s into action, there's always Metroid, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4 and Bully.

I guess the question to ask is this: what games does she really get into. If she's an action-packed kind of girl, maybe you need to look into the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. If she'd enjoy carnival games or bowling, the Wii might be the ticket. If she likes the older classic stuff (Street Fighter etc), you could always download them from the Wi-Fi Marketplace.
April 13, 2008 11:52:23 PM

Wii is a good idea, it's mostly targeted at casual gamers after all. Wii sports, the game that's included, is family friendly which even a grandma could manage to play.

Of course getting Wii means you must get Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which tons of people like. There's cute fighters and all, if your GF is into that.
April 14, 2008 3:41:27 AM

I got my balls kicked in by a 6 yr old playing Wii boxing. Actually...I don't even think he was 6....I am still ashamed...

Anyway...I know a lot of girls that like to play the Wii. It is more of a social game where you don't have to be an expert to have fun. ^ I agree with evilonigiri...get SMB for sure but depending on your GF's taste, it might be too involved for her to like but that game is like Mario Kart...instant classic.

As a side note, my GF loved Kingdom Hearts. Pretty much just because it was Disney and stuff but it ended up getting too hard for her to finish. She is definitely not a gamer either...I was shocked that she liked it. She also likes to play Mario Kart and even Guitar Hero. Girls love the "cute" and social type of games though from what I find.
April 14, 2008 7:33:19 AM

Try to get her hooked on WoW, the best contraceptive tactic out there.
April 14, 2008 11:43:46 AM

mmorpgs are what got my wife into gaming. Of course now I get nagged to log in and help her with x,y,z :D 
April 14, 2008 12:09:45 PM

dtq said:
mmorpgs are what got my wife into gaming. Of course now I get nagged to log in and help her with x,y,z :D 

I feel your pain! :p 

Wii is definately a good start. Also. in my experiences, point and click adventure games are also quite good for non gamers to get into gaming. Might be best to avoid anything first person as I've had people get motion sickness in FPS's and especially Portal. :D 
April 14, 2008 12:14:51 PM

Wii's are awesome. My fiance and I (I'm 27, her 26) are always playing mario and guitar hero. But she also really likes DDR and super monkey ball. I would HIGHLY recommend Wii play for the women. I can't get my girl to stop wearing the batteries out on Tanks and the wii version of Duck Hunt. They are a total blast. And wii sports rules too. Bowling is alot of fun. And Zelda is a blast. The Wii is just awesome and perfect for casual pick up the controls and game for a bit type of game play. And the Wiimote batteries do last forever. I play the CRAP outta my wii and only charge the batteries about twice a month.
April 14, 2008 2:29:24 PM

mothhive said:
...point and click adventure games are also quite good for non gamers to get into gaming...

Monkey Island?

The Wii has some of the best (all in the same room) multiplayer games around. It helps me keep off the drink!
April 14, 2008 4:15:07 PM

My g/f switches off a the mere mention of anything even remotely connected to computers, gaming or technology. So I do kinda envy someone who gets to jam and find something fun together.

Never going to happen for me but I recommend the Wii for its ease of use and successful results of a mixed target audience ( even though I have and always advocate the 360 ).

I would be wary of trying to get your g/f hooked on a MMORPG like WoW etc as some of my mates have had pretty disasterous results in terms of actually losing them to the MMO. Google gamerwidows & Ihatewow before embarking on that journey :) 
April 14, 2008 5:10:13 PM

Wow, I didn't really expect any replies! Thank you all, so much :) 

Hahaha. Well, getting her hooked on a MMORPG is definitely out of the question. Thank you for the warning, dannyboy, I've heard all about the Wow addiction. This girl, despite being gorgeous and smart, loves to cook. And she's so good at it that we don't even go out to eat any more. I'd prefer not to get her pathologically hooked on WoW and to keep her happily cooking dinner for us everyday :)  Besides, she's not into that sort of thing. According to her, and I just clarified this now, she only really played games when she was little and those were on the computer. These consisted of a Pac-Man rip-off called CD Man (? something indigenous to her country I think), Prince of Persia, Super Mario, Electro Body (? another probably only found in her country of origin) and King's Quest. She says that she didn't get far in King's Quest because the game was in English, she didn't have instructions, and that was before she really started learning the English language in any kind of depth.

I'm looking more towards recreational use of video games in our lives. For those times when she finishes whatever she has to do in the evening and says "I'm bored, want to do something with me?" Then, rather than slaving through another game of Scrabble I can say "well, how about we turn on the Wii?" Meanwhile, the Wii will probably already have been on for the past several hours because I've been playing Zelda or Super Mario Galaxy or whatever :) 

I think what jaguarskx said hit it exactly. Girls love to dance, mine included. I wonder if they have a Salsa game for the Wii? God, we'd have to buy two Wii's if that was the case or I'd never get a chance at using it. I also think a sports pack would be great. She always talks about taking up boxing and tennis. Also, I saw some videos about old-timers' Wii bowling leagues that were hilarious. I bet that would also work well.
April 14, 2008 5:36:28 PM

exfileme said:
I would suggest getting a Wii for starters... it includes Wii Sports and that should give you an idea if she'll really be into games. There are plenty of interactive titles both of you can play. There are also the Nintendo-specific games like Super Mario Galaxy (single-player), Smash Bros. Brawl (multiplayer), Zack & Wiki and so on. Mario Kart Wii hits the streets on the 27th. If she';s into action, there's always Metroid, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4 and Bully.

I think that these are more of the types of games that I'll be playing. She doesn't like shooting at all and makes me put on the headphones when I'm playing pretty much anything from Valve :) 

Evilonigiri said:
Wii is a good idea, it's mostly targeted at casual gamers after all. Wii sports, the game that's included, is family friendly which even a grandma could manage to play.

That's sort of what I'm thinking too.

SpinachEater said:
I got my balls kicked in by a 6 yr old playing Wii boxing. Actually...I don't even think he was 6....I am still ashamed...

As a side note, my GF loved Kingdom Hearts. Pretty much just because it was Disney and stuff but it ended up getting too hard for her to finish. She is definitely not a gamer either...I was shocked that she liked it. She also likes to play Mario Kart and even Guitar Hero. Girls love the "cute" and social type of games though from what I find.

Haha, I'm really looking forward to the boxing then. But, like you, I'd be completely shocked if she got into something like Kingdom Hearts. I'm not sure she'd be into Guitar Hero either, but we're definitely going to find that out damn it. As for Mario Kart, I'm getting it regardless. She wouldn't try Crash Team Racing when I put it in a few months back.

BigMac said:
Try to get her hooked on WoW, the best contraceptive tactic out there.

I'd rather she get a total hysterectomy as prevention. That game goes nowhere near us!

mothhive said:
I feel your pain! :p 

Wii is definately a good start. Also. in my experiences, point and click adventure games are also quite good for non gamers to get into gaming. Might be best to avoid anything first person as I've had people get motion sickness in FPS's and especially Portal. :D 

Is there anything like King's Quest out there now that she can try? I was going to get her the Myst series because I saw the quadrilogy cheap a few months back, but personally I like KQ better. Looking forward to trying the new Sherlock Holmes when it comes out.

mi1ez said:
Monkey Island?

The Wii has some of the best (all in the same room) multiplayer games around. It helps me keep off the drink!

Ooooh, Monkey Island. I wish there were an updated The Curse of Monkey Island for her to try. I was thinking Grim Fandago after I saw it in the bargain bin...

I hear you on the correlation between decreasing alcohol use and increasing video game play. In school, I helped a buddy recover from steatorrhoeic hepatosis after many years of drinking before it progressed to cirrhosis by playing PS2 multiplayer games instead of going out :) 
April 14, 2008 8:49:53 PM

Quote:
In school, I helped a buddy recover from steatorrhoeic hepatosis after many years of drinking before it progressed to cirrhosis by playing PS2 multiplayer games instead of going out

Sad....
April 14, 2008 10:16:39 PM

Just put it in her, it's much more fun than videogames.
April 14, 2008 11:03:39 PM

quantumsheep said:

Seconded.

I have funded a feasibility study on the effects of video games on getting laid, and according to the BLAND corporation, it should not get you any.

Perhaps she just doesn't like videogames. And 'mario' games seem too condescending, unless, like, you're into that.
April 15, 2008 4:28:59 AM

good luck finding a wii =]
i found one
April 18, 2008 11:26:04 AM

metal_ said:
good luck finding a wii =]
i found one

Way to contribute to the thread.

There are tonnes of Wii's for sale on eBay, if you haven't noticed. There's also one at the electronics shop here if I want to buy a severely over-priced European system. Going to get one this summer in the States.
April 18, 2008 1:27:08 PM

There are plenty of Wii's available in my area. I haven't checked online or anything but the gamestops around STL all have them regularly. So does Wal-Mart.
April 18, 2008 7:38:28 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. Didn't think there was a shortage since the last two xmases. Thanks.
April 19, 2008 9:38:44 AM

I checked out that Dance Dance Revolution game on gamespot.com and in some Youtube videos. The girlfriend wasn't exactly impressed. Many of those DDR songs that come with the Wii version of the game (Hottest Dance Party or whatever they call it) are stupid euro techno songs. That entire genre just bites. She is more interested in Spanish music and R&B that's easy to dance to. The dance styles depicted in the videos weren't her style at all. I'm not even sure whose style that crap was, I've never seen people dancing like that at clubs or wherever!
April 19, 2008 10:38:47 AM

Ya I have DDR for the wii and it makes a decent workout but as casual fun just messing to the beat of music, it's not that great. The songs are fairly dumb.
April 19, 2008 10:42:23 AM

Guitar hero on the other hand... is a blast.
April 19, 2008 12:00:38 PM

Mario Party 8 is a good one for just relaxing around the tube. Not a very skill based game. Its like combining silly little minigames with monopoly. A lot of people hate it due to the lack of skill involved/required, but it is kind of fun.

I don't know about the wii version of DDR, but every other version of DDR I've ever played/owned has had a very large selection of songs ranging from R&B to techno. Most of it is dance music of some variety though.
April 19, 2008 12:17:17 PM

Definitely checking out Mario Party 8 as a relaxed way to have some fun.

Guitar Hero is a definite must.

It would be nice if we could put our own songs into DDR, but it would only be worth it if the game could intelligently program the steps to each song based on the beats. I think it would take way too long to program all that in ourselves. Like how it takes forever with Guitar Hero to do that. Games just aren't that smart yet.
April 19, 2008 2:35:30 PM

I guess im old school, i like gaming on my own, although I love playing games with my woman, it usually invloves a game of remove the thong
April 19, 2008 3:39:17 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like doing that too. Generally enjoy gaming on my own as well but, for the last year, we've been living in the middle of nowhere where it rains all the time and there's nothing to do besides work.
April 19, 2008 6:10:59 PM

Did you know that Mario Galaxy actually has something that a second person can do. They can use the second wiimote to help you out by holding enemies still and such. It is actually kind of fun, much easier than the main role, and very very helpful.
April 20, 2008 12:53:11 AM

do you want to get her into wii games or get her into games a gamer would play? like FPS RTS RPG adventure action and every perverted mix of them.

if its the ladder, than the wii is not the best choice.
April 20, 2008 6:25:09 AM

infornography42 said:
Did you know that Mario Galaxy actually has something that a second person can do. They can use the second wiimote to help you out by holding enemies still and such. It is actually kind of fun, much easier than the main role, and very very helpful.

I didn't know that. They really took their time making that game, didn't they? Seems so perfect, I can't wait to get it.
April 20, 2008 6:28:33 AM

Quote:
You should be able to put your own songs in or something

I just found this by accident: Dance Factory for the PS2. "Dance Factory delivers every dance mat gamer’s dream thanks to its unique feature: the game can take any track from any music CD in your entire collection, play it and automatically generate incredible dance routines, played out on-screen for you to groove to on the mat."

I've already got a PS2 so I guess I should pick up that universal mat for her (only 20$) and she'll be able to use whatever songs she wants to dance to.
April 20, 2008 7:56:35 AM

One other thing, I wanted to pick up a couple of classic controllers for the Wii. Would you guys recommend a couple of the Gamecube controllers, or the new Wii joypads? I'll probably be playing some Gamecube games as I completely missed out on that entire generation of games.
April 20, 2008 10:04:43 AM

Unfortunately you'll need both styles of controllers, the wiimote for NES, the classic controller for SNES and N64, the gamecube remote for gamecube games. You can use the classic controller for NES games as well.
April 20, 2008 12:13:15 PM

Honestly, you can get by with the gamecube controllers for everything. It is not the best way to go, but it works.

That said, I do find the classic controllers more convenient because I don't have to have a cord stretched out across the room. You should be able to find a couple gamecube controllers on the cheap at used game stores and ebay. gamecube controllers are sturdy and well made. They don't break easily so used should be fine.
April 20, 2008 3:32:29 PM

Okay then, I think that Gamecube controllers are the way to go. I'm not interested in playing NES, SNES or N64 games on the Wii at all. If I did, that's what we have emulators for.

Thanks for the help :) 
April 20, 2008 8:40:51 PM

Just so you know, they are also making something called wiiware soon. This will be a service for making new old school style games and purchasing them over the internet. I imagine most of the people making these will design the controls to work well with both the classic controller and the game cube controller, but we won't know until they start getting released.
April 28, 2008 11:53:32 AM

I play games a lot and I normally play on my PSP and PC. My gf does not seem to understand what is so fun with games until I bought a Nintendo DS Lite for her. Well, DS Lite may be different from Wii but I believe that Nintendo games suits girls better than Playstation games.
April 28, 2008 3:45:25 PM

Agreed. But my girlfriend would only play games because it's something I like to do, so two player simultaneous games are a must. I doubt she would ever pick up a DS if she owned one.
April 28, 2008 5:14:51 PM

If she's not already pro at video games, I'd say don't do it, cause you're just gonna have to go slow for her to keep up, and any game that a girl would be into is probably boring. Nothing worse than having to explain for the 5th time how to click on an NPC, and explain wtf an NPC is to a girl. There's a reason she's gone her whole life without really being into video games.

He sums it up best:
quantumsheep said:
April 28, 2008 11:14:55 PM

There are girls into every genre of gaming. Though the non-hardcore ones are more likely to go for puzzle games and RPGs. There are exceptions to every rule though.
April 30, 2008 7:12:34 PM

Oh Snap said:
If she's not already pro at video games, I'd say don't do it, cause you're just gonna have to go slow for her to keep up, and any game that a girl would be into is probably boring. Nothing worse than having to explain for the 5th time how to click on an NPC, and explain wtf an NPC is to a girl. There's a reason she's gone her whole life without really being into video games.

He sums it up best:

Why do I get the feeling that we're quite a bit older than some of you? :kaola: 

Mind you, I don't think I'll ever have to explain what an NPC is to her, especially not while we're bowling 1 on 1. I think it was fairly clear what we want to use the Wii for, if you read the thread. Casual 1 on 1 gaming mostly. As for me, of course I'll be playing Zelda and other games on my own.
May 1, 2008 5:15:33 PM

It'll never be as satisfying to play some bejeweled type game 1v1 against your girlfriend than it is to actually play a decent game with people who don't suck. If you still want to go down that road, then more power to you. Personally, I'd just make her make me food while I play with people on vent.
May 1, 2008 7:13:13 PM

I just picked up mario kart and an extra wheel, plus i pre-ordered wii fit... can you guess which one is for me and which one is for her LOL. even though i will probably mess with wii fit a little myself.
May 1, 2008 8:07:09 PM

I say hats off to Nintendo for getting our asses off the couch. I can't wait to review Wii Fit.
May 2, 2008 2:46:55 AM

Oh Snap said:
It'll never be as satisfying to play some bejeweled type game 1v1 against your girlfriend than it is to actually play a decent game with people who don't suck. If you still want to go down that road, then more power to you. Personally, I'd just make her make me food while I play with people on vent.

You know... comments like this one, and all the ones saying you should just schtoink her are just short sighted and immature. The first one had a bit of sarcastic wit about it, not much, but some. The rest of these are devolving into outright misogyny. What the hell makes you think your relationship will last long if all you ever want your significant other to do is cook, clean, and screw?

The entire reason to get your girl into gaming is to have a fun activity to share together. In our fast paced world of 40+ hour workweeks and hour long commutes it isn't easy to get out all the time, so an enjoyable at home activity other than simply watching TV is a very good thing for a relationship.

I'm not sure if most of you just think you are being funny or just quite simply do not have a clue, but it stopped being remotely funny the second time.
May 2, 2008 2:59:22 PM

I think you've said it all and I doubt I could have said that any better myself, infornography42. You explained very eloquently what I mistakenly assumed needed no explanation.

I didn't think the first comment was funny or contained any sarcastic wit, actually. But when one starts a thread of a seemingly oxymoronic nature, girls and video games juxtaposed with a forum where the stereotypical congregate, one expects at least one token immature comment.

You won't find the fast-paced world where I live, which is one reason I need the Wii. Here, the work week is 37.5 hours. My commute is 5 minutes on foot or 2 minutes by bike. The lowest paid person in Norway makes 5x the minimum wage in the USA (at the current exchange rate). Almost everything is closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and everything closes between 3 and 5pm during the week. We get 6 weeks of paid vacation every year. No, you won't find fast-paced here, but you will find fjords, mountains, rivers, valleys, and forests. I live in a village of about 7000 inhabitants on a fjord in a valley between a large glacier and an expansive mountain range. When the weather's nice, everyone's out doing stuff. But it actually rains most of the time.
May 2, 2008 4:40:14 PM

My wife and I typically play tetris or an actual board game over most video games. But she gets the "bug" to sit down and frag people on counter strike once in a while. She's not as good as me but that doesn't mean anything seeing as how I have many many many more hours playing counter strike than she has. Shh don't tell her but I even let her kill me sometimes. Or I let her whoop my butt in nascar. I get more satisfaction out of enjoying the game with her than winning. But if i told her that she'd get pissed lol.
May 2, 2008 10:40:33 PM

infornography42 said:
You know... comments like this one, and all the ones saying you should just schtoink her are just short sighted and immature. The first one had a bit of sarcastic wit about it, not much, but some. The rest of these are devolving into outright misogyny. What the hell makes you think your relationship will last long if all you ever want your significant other to do is cook, clean, and screw?

The entire reason to get your girl into gaming is to have a fun activity to share together. In our fast paced world of 40+ hour workweeks and hour long commutes it isn't easy to get out all the time, so an enjoyable at home activity other than simply watching TV is a very good thing for a relationship.

I'm not sure if most of you just think you are being funny or just quite simply do not have a clue, but it stopped being remotely funny the second time.

While you're at it, how about you wear one of those pregnancy simulation harnesses and talk about your feelings.
May 3, 2008 10:26:23 AM

boonality said:
My wife and I typically play tetris or an actual board game over most video games.

I have to say, I'm pretty damn sick of Scrabble, Monopoly and Pentago. I prefer something on a screen moving at a fast pace any day. I wish they'd make Bohnanza and its expansions for the computer, you're supposed to play that with more than two people. And it's a rare day when there are more than two of us to play :( 
!