Partitioning unallocated HD space

I have a 250GB harddrive with about 125GB partitioned and
formatted. I was wondering how you partition and format
the remaining space. Also, I have a my old drive with
files on it that I want to transfer over. I would like to
know how to do this. XP is using NTFS and Win98 of course
is FAT32, are these compatitable with each other as far as
the files go.

Thanks for the help
4 answers Last reply
More about partitioning unallocated space

    Andrew;
    Use Disk Management to allocate the unused space:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

    The fact the old drive is FAT 32 is not relevant.

    You can install the old drive as a slave and copy the data from old to
    new drive.

    If the old drive is on a computer, you can network the computers and
    copy the data.
    Or you can use FAST:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 250GB harddrive with about 125GB partitioned and
    > formatted. I was wondering how you partition and format
    > the remaining space. Also, I have a my old drive with
    > files on it that I want to transfer over. I would like to
    > know how to do this. XP is using NTFS and Win98 of course
    > is FAT32, are these compatitable with each other as far as
    > the files go.
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    The two file systems are not 'compatible', they're fundamentally different.
    However, XP will read/write both of them just fine, so your old data is not
    lost.

    As for partitioning the remainder of the disk, go to right click Explorer,
    Manage and select Disk Management.
    The details pane will display the disk, right click the unpartitioned space
    on the disc and Create Partition and follow the wizard.
    Depending on the size you choose for the new partition you will be able to
    choose FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
    With 125GB as the partition size you'll only be presented with the option
    NTFS, which should be your file system of choice anyway.
    When the wizard finishes you'll get the partition status displayed as
    Healthy. (i.e. ready for use)

    As for getting your old data accross, one way of doing that would be to
    temporarily add the old hd into the machine and simply use Explorer to
    copy/paste them onto the new partition.

    hth

    george

    "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 250GB harddrive with about 125GB partitioned and
    > formatted. I was wondering how you partition and format
    > the remaining space. Also, I have a my old drive with
    > files on it that I want to transfer over. I would like to
    > know how to do this. XP is using NTFS and Win98 of course
    > is FAT32, are these compatitable with each other as far as
    > the files go.
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    I don't know what "additional" program you have on your machine that allows
    you to click on Manage and Disk Management. WIN XP HOME does not contain
    this.

    Consider that the majority of people in this "newusers" group probably don't
    have additional software to manage disks, etc.

    --
    Joe

    =====================================
    ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

    =====================================

    "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The two file systems are not 'compatible', they're fundamentally
    > different.
    > However, XP will read/write both of them just fine, so your old data is
    > not lost.
    >
    > As for partitioning the remainder of the disk, go to right click Explorer,
    > Manage and select Disk Management.
    > The details pane will display the disk, right click the unpartitioned
    > space on the disc and Create Partition and follow the wizard.
    > Depending on the size you choose for the new partition you will be able to
    > choose FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.
    > With 125GB as the partition size you'll only be presented with the option
    > NTFS, which should be your file system of choice anyway.
    > When the wizard finishes you'll get the partition status displayed as
    > Healthy. (i.e. ready for use)
    >
    > As for getting your old data accross, one way of doing that would be to
    > temporarily add the old hd into the machine and simply use Explorer to
    > copy/paste them onto the new partition.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > george
    >
    > "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a 250GB harddrive with about 125GB partitioned and
    >> formatted. I was wondering how you partition and format
    >> the remaining space. Also, I have a my old drive with
    >> files on it that I want to transfer over. I would like to
    >> know how to do this. XP is using NTFS and Win98 of course
    >> is FAT32, are these compatitable with each other as far as
    >> the files go.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help

    The OP has not mentioned he's running Home edition.
    And yes, if you are, then you need 3rd party software to do that, which
    usially costs money.
    All the more reason to *not* stick with with a functionally inferior product
    like Home and fork up some extra bucks up front and get Professional. By the
    time you're done purchasing all the functionality left out of Home through
    3rd party stuff, you're probably out of more money than the difference to be
    paid for Professional.

    george

Windows XP