weird problem with a7m266 mobo

jivadent

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
I'm building a computer with said mobo, and I'm running into a weird problem that I can't diagnose. First, however, let me say that I've had experience with this mobo on 2 other computers, and it's been nothing but great.

Ok, so what happens is that it boots up fine, but says that the floppy disk failed. Once we're past that, it gets to the device table, where both my HDD and CD-ROM are listed, and then it hangs. The cursor just sits there and blinks, indefinitely.

It's as if it doesn't read anything. The problem with the floppy, at first I thought it was because the FDD cable was in backwards, since that's possible, but even reversed it does the same thing. And I have no eartly idea why it doesn't read the HDD or CD-ROM. I mean, at the very least it should say that no master boot record was fine... or give me any kind of error message at all. But it simply does nothing.

The problem is that it does recognize the HDD and CD-ROM, both in the BIOS settings, and they're listed in the device table. But it doesn't do anything with them. I wrote ASUS and they told me to download a BIOS update, which I haven't done yet, but I doubt it'll do anything, since, like I said, I have the exact same mobo on 2 different machines, and they don't have this problem.

I guess I will listen to them as a last resort, but I wanted to know if you guys had any input.

Gabriel

Try disconnecting the floppy drive first. They can fail at any time. If that doesn't work, try different jumper settings for the hardrive and cd-rom. If you're using cable select, try master-slave instead. Also, try reseating your memory in a different slot. It's possible you have a bad memory slot.

jivadent

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
the hard drive and cd-rom are on separate ide channels... both master. I haven't tried moving the RAM to the other slot, but I'll do that, thanks :)