MSI motherboard fried?

Pompeyboy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
I recently upgraded my CPU from an Athlon 900 to a AMD XP 1700. I’ve got a MSI KT7 Turbo 6330 motherboard so I flashed the BIOS in order for it to take the new CPU. After installing the new CPU the computer started but reported it as an Athlon 1100. Accidentally the frequency (FSB) setting was changed from 100 to 132 and the computer wouldn’t boot. After resetting the CMOS the computer still didn’t boot up. Thinking maybe the CPU was fried I tested it in another system, in which it worked. The 4 diagnostic lights on the motherboard are all red, so does this mean its screwed?! Everything else in my system has been tested and proved ok, apart from the motherboard which is harder to test.

TIA

Hadi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
why you don't try testing the mobo with your previous CPU. may be you just need a new bios!!

listen to me or wait for the next patch!

sturm

Splendid
Thats his signature statement that appears at the bottom of the threads. its not part of the answer. i dont have a sig yet. have u checked all the connections: power and such. it does sound like the board died on you thought

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds to me like you don't know the first thing about what you're doing. Try reading the manual about how to set the thing to 133MHz bus speed, which is needed for your processor to run at full speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>