compressing files (Zip)

joan

I have windowsXP installed. I want to know where to go to
zip files. I am taking classes online. My instructors
want files sent to them zipped. They said that if I have
windowsXP I don't need to purchased WinZip. I can't find
anything in my programs about compressing files. Can
anyone instruct me?

See link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/edwards1.mspx

Andre
"Joan" <jpjmmm@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have windowsXP installed. I want to know where to go to
> zip files. I am taking classes online. My instructors
> want files sent to them zipped. They said that if I have
> windowsXP I don't need to purchased WinZip. I can't find
> anything in my programs about compressing files. Can
> anyone instruct me?

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center.
2. In the Search box type: ZIP , and hit enter.

How To Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306531&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Joan" wrote:

| I have windowsXP installed. I want to know where to go to
| zip files. I am taking classes online. My instructors
| want files sent to them zipped. They said that if I have
| windowsXP I don't need to purchased WinZip. I can't find
| anything in my programs about compressing files. Can
| anyone instruct me?

right click the file and select Send to->Compressed Folder
That will create a zip of file or folder up for you in the same location as
the original file or folder.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:40:51 -0700, "Joan" <jpjmmm@msn.com> wrote:
>I have windowsXP installed. I want to know where to go to
>zip files. I am taking classes online. My instructors
>want files sent to them zipped. They said that if I have
>windowsXP I don't need to purchased WinZip. I can't find
>anything in my programs about compressing files. Can
>anyone instruct me?

I recommend this. Even if you have another. It is freeware, and a very
good product. It handles many other compression types in case you run
across any of those, including some forms of .RAR files.

The program is called ZipGenius. I've been using it for over a year now.

Get it here:

http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

I use several freeware programs I've come across & happen to think some
work even better than something you might pay for.

...D.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with, and having some new friends to Instant Message.
Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know computers can help you.
Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).