problems with xp home sp2

I keep hearing, reading about problems with sp2. do these problems show
right away, or do they appear over time. also are most problems related to
install variables, system difficulties, or just an act from a higher power
--
any suggestions, help, and pure fanasty will be indulged. THANK YOU
2 answers Last reply

    Problems will generally occur during or immediately after installation
    of SP-2.
    Those problems that show later are mostly unrelated to SP-2 or
    undiscovered at installation of SP-2.
    The causes of problems are almost as numerous as the number of
    computers with the problems.
    The possibility of having troubles related to SP-2 can be greatly
    reduced by ensuring your computer hardware and software is compatible
    with SP-2.
    Also ensure the computer is ready for SP-2:
    There are no guarantees but preparation reduces the possibility of
    problems.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:03:01 -0700, gakman <hahaha@talk.micro.com> wrote:
    >I keep hearing, reading about problems with sp2. do these problems show
    >right away, or do they appear over time. also are most problems related to
    >install variables, system difficulties, or just an act from a higher power

    Consider ordering the free update CD of SP2 and installing from that.
    Even the shipping is free, I got a free update CD from them earlier this
    year, and I just ordered this one. But I have already installed from
    online.
    To order the free CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    I've been told, and it worked for me:

    Right before you try again to install, best to be safer than sorry.
    1) In Internet Explorer, delete "cookies, "temp files", and "history".
    2) turn off your antivirus software.
    3) disable your 3rd part firewall. So I guess if you are going to install
    it from online, make sure you enable XP's built-in firewall after
    disabling the 3rd party one.
    4) problems have been reported because of poorly written adware and
    spyware. So run Adaware right before too. Run any other anti-spyware
    programs you have.
    ...D.

Microsoft Windows XP