Upgrading to P4 2.0Ghz ????

stingray

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
Hi, I still have a P2 350Ghz and I would like to upgrade to a P4.
So I'll need a new motherboard, cpu and memory.
What would be a good buy. I would use it most for 3D gaming.

Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's a cheap solid system for you;
Asus P4S533
Intel P4 1.8A at 2.4GHz with stock cooler (retail boxed)
DDR333 (PC2700) memory.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

eestever

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
Yeah, I find it. I have the same problem, I want a bargain coz my computer is a [-peep-] going to crash. I can't wait but I would like a good system now and easy to upgrade maybe one year later. I know P4PE would be the best solution but I can't find it (Spain), the shops offer me P4S533, possibly E version. Today I've read sis645dx will support hyper threading but I don't understand what B stepping means (see http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/ht_tech.htm )
Will p4s533-E support HT with new drivers for sis645dx? Is a good time to buy? I see a lot of changes, dual ddr, HT, amd new socket 754. Which mainboard will allow me to well upgrade my system within one year?

I would go for the albatron px845 pev pro for only $85 shipped (newegg.com). It does support hyperthreading, and overclocks up to 160-166 fsb, depending on your memory and cpu. Or, I would take crashman's advice on the p4s533. Newegg may still have some refurbished ones for $49.95 shipped. It's my current board.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
B stepping means the chipset has been revised. Since the revised chipset is not on the market yet (to the best of my knowledge), no current 645DX boards will support HT. But if you're as likely as not to replace the board and CPU as a package, that wouldn't matter at this point, since you'll need a 3.06GHz or faster CPU to get HT support.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>