Problem powering up 735

Hi,

After a power outage, we have bee unable to re-start our venerable 735.
When we press the power button, some lights come up for a short time and
then come off (it seems that the lights come up while the button is being
pushed). Once you release the switch, nothing happens.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion? Does
HP still service these machines?

Thanks,

Gabriel

I forgot o mention this is an HP 9000 Model 735 Unix workstation. HP has so
many products that there may be other 735's out there.

Thanks,

Gabriel

G.R. Toro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a power outage, we have bee unable to re-start our venerable 735.
> When we press the power button, some lights come up for a short time and
> then come off (it seems that the lights come up while the button is being
> pushed). Once you release the switch, nothing happens.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion? Does
> HP still service these machines?

Most likely the same or similar problem as my 712 had: it was off long enouth to
let the harddisk cool-down. With that, the grease in the harddisks fastens the
disks and prevents further spin of the platters.

If you have a relyable backup, prepare for a restore on a new disk: buy one and
restore.

If you ahve no relyable backup, have the disk recovered. This will cost (lots)
of money. Buy a new one and move over to use that instead.

If you have the guts (and prepare for error) open the disk and try to twist the
disks manually. You will need proper tools and a fairly clean area. If you just
dusted or hoovered the area, wait a couple of hours to let the dust stabilize in
the air. Be verry carefull not to scratch the platters with the heads. Be sure
to only gently twist the disks, the less you twist them the better, however, be
sure they can twist easy. It is as if breaking a seal.

After closing and restoring the disk, best to copy the contents to an other disk
as fast as possible, poreferably by `dd`ing the entire disk to a new disk. THen
try to use the new disk.

FWIW, I'm living on the edge now, I still use the once-frozen disk... on my test
system.

CBee

CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> writes:

> Most likely the same or similar problem as my 712 had: it was off long
> enouth to let the harddisk cool-down. With that, the grease in the harddisks
> fastens the disks and prevents further spin of the platters.

But if you cook the drive over low heat in an oven (or in a sauna, if
you're up here :) it should spin again!

An old drive with sticking platters can often be coaxed into action by plugging
and unplugging the power connector on the drive itself. This often causes
enough of a controlled voltage surge to get the platters to move... Ben Myers

CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote:
> G.R. Toro wrote:
>> After a power outage, we have bee unable to re-start our venerable
>> 735. When we press the power button, some lights come up for a
>> short time and then come off (it seems that the lights come up
>> while the button is being pushed). Once you release the switch,
>> nothing happens.

> Most likely the same or similar problem as my 712 had: it was off
> long enouth to let the harddisk cool-down. With that, the grease in
> the harddisks fastens the disks and prevents further spin of the
> platters.

I would have thought that if it were the disc seized-up, the system
would at least get through power-on self test and the like and then
would report an inability to boot from the primary boot path.

I don't recall what the symptoms were of a failed button battery on
the system board, but that might be worth a look. Also making sure
that all the boards are properly seated wouldn't hurt.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

TRENDING THREADS