how not to sell linux

iccaros

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
ok this is a beef I have had with computer companies for a while now..
there was an story “how not to sell linux”
see link here http://technology.newsforge.com/technology/04/03/05/1757235.shtml

my beef is that company's like Atari (publishers of Unreal 2004) say Linux is such a small segment that they are not sure if they will contenue making games for linux. But try the find the retail version of UT2004.. you can' tfind it on there web site (they don't sell it from there site only the windows version) it took a letter to techsuppor tto find out how to buy it, see my emial here
Dear ,

The Linux Version is only on the DVD. Here is the link:

http://www.us.atari.com/games/unreal_tournament_2004_DVD_pc_action/

(please note that the link may need to be completely copied and pasted
into the address area in your browser window if you encounter problems)

Thank you for contacting the online store's Customer Care Center. If you
have any further questions or concerns, please "reply" to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
John H.
Customer Care Center
Case ID 7125605

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

I am trying to buy the Linux version of UT 2004 but I can 't find
that it specifies where its listed. It states pc but when I check the
stores it says requires Windows. as I have el emanated the MS Windows
virus from my systems this would not work for me. if I order from on
line and it says PC version is the the Linux version . thanks in advance

So I put in the link they gave me and its not at there store or any other store except EB games. I when to EB games (1 mile from the house) they only carry it on line. So I order on line. the game comes. Its a windows version with one directory with a Linux install. This tells me they have no Ideal how many people who use Linux have used it and its such a pain to buy most probably gave up and run the demo. Plus they say they will not support the Linux version. This is not how you sell a product. They say Linux is a small market but how do they know. If they pushed best buy and Wal-Mart to carry a Linux version (and not on DVD so everybody can use it.. how many of you have dvd roms in your Linux box?? not that many I would bet)
I'm glad they made a Linux version but lets get real if you go through the trouble of making a game then put it out or offer a download version if you don't what to spend the money to put it in a box. Its almost as if they said we'll we have room on the dvd throw it in.. This is crap marketing bu the Linux community like baggers on the street are just accepting it. Please post your opinions on this as I am going to link this discussion on my emial to Atari about there non-Linux support.

Willaim S. Huskey
Network Engineer
SAIC
"there are 10 types of people in this world. They who understand binary and they who do not"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iccaros on 06/02/04 07:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They can't support the linux version because there are SO many flavours of linux out there, and the tech support is best done by the users/forums of a particular distro. I can understand them not supporting it.

They SHOULD be marketing it better though, that's for sure. I still haven't been able to find the DVD version of UT2004 around here just through casual browsing. Sucks.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

iccaros

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
they don't even have teh user forums. they could suport. codeweavers supports its linux software. openoffice supports their's. I thinks it crap when people say there are too many linux's to suport. when you get down to the nitty gritty linux is basicly the same. I would even go with we support "RED HAT" or just pick one distrobution. most people can take what ever advice for one distrobution and make it work for others. the worst part is when I called them yesterday about why its only on dvd they acted like they were doing me a favor for releasing it in the first place and I should just take what I get..

EB games is the only people who carry the DVD version that I have found.

thaks for the reply.

Willaim S. Huskey
Network Engineer
SAIC
"there are 10 types of people in this world. They who understand binary and they who do not"

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
The linux version of Ut2004 is on the CD. It is on the retail windows CD. You just need to run that installer. Copy it to your HDD and then run it. It is that simple.

I currently have been playing with games on linux for some time and have many games running under linux.

ut2004
ut2003
Warcraft III
Warcraft III Frozen Throne
Diablo II
Diablo II Lords of Destruction
Neverwinter Nights
Everquest
Freespace
Enemy Territory
Quake III Arena
Starcraft
Starcraft Broodwars
FarCry

These are all running with little to no problems. In fact, the only one that I know that has any semblance of problems is Everquest and it just has a couple font issues and the graphics aren't as crisp as the native direct x.

Games such as D2 and WC3 are awesome looking. UT2003 AND 2004 are great looking also.

I've been setting these up for the past several months and have had little problems. The information about how to get them setup is available on the web. I tended to read about something that would lead me to a web site or two, so I would bookmark them and go back and read.

Look for loki installers for your favorite games. Look for winex 3.3.2. Go to www.transgaming.com to get info on various games that run and some of the problems/solutions.

On the point about linux users supporting these products. First, it is a laughable lie that linux users support one another to any depth. Mostly you get alot of surface pointers to someone elses' web pages that have little to nothing to do with your problem. I care little for linux user support from users because it is basically non-existent.

Linux does have alot of flavors and when it does come down to it, when the OS is installed and running all of them are basically the same thing.

The major problem with games is the video drivers. ATI produces a rather craptastic driver and nVidia provides drivers for both their video cards and chipsets. These are generally poor quality but better than the ATI drivers.

Once the drivers are installed and tested using glxgears, etc., you should be able to get most games up and running ok.

You may already be aware of this but for those that are just perusing the boards looking for info I provide that little bit.

In a general sense, linux is great. It works well, is somewhat stable on older hardware and seems to be very stable on new hardware. Drivers are not well written overall but if you can get the hardware manufacturer's versions things get better. Sound sucks horribly in linux and the provided sound seems to be neglected to a great extent. There's little sound support for more than 2 voices unless you install alsa but then you have a tremendous number of problems.

Linux needs to be tempered. People are to zealot-like. Linux is maturing and games are coming along but comparatively it is a decade behind the gaming on Windows. They could close that gap if they go about it level headed and partner with game companies instead of insulting and demeaning them. A little bit of REAL user to user support would go a long way.

When manufactures give the excuse there are too many linuxes they are giving you nothing more than an excuse.

iccaros

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
the makers of unreal do not know its on the cd.. see my email responce from them. they are the one who told me its only on the DVD. I had to write them. also the cd says nothing about linux only the dvd does. how is a linux user to know its on the CD? that is my point . if you sell parts for a honda you tell your sells people you seel it. you put what its for and how to use it. you don't pu tout the product, make it obscure how to get it and then treat the users like they owe you a big favor for buying your software.
case in point , Dell will put Red Hat on your server for you for only $900. then they wonder why no one buys it when thye can get MS for free with the server. this makes no sence

"Games such as D2 and WC3 are awesome looking"
yes under wine but the manufactures will not help you with them. as a matter of fact WC3 maker blizzard has said they see no reason to maek games for linux. And it now locks up with the 2.6 kernel.. was working great on 2.4 but 2.6 it freazes up..

"On the point about linux users supporting these products. First, it is a laughable lie that linux users support one another to any depth. Mostly you get alot of surface pointers to someone elses' web pages that have little to nothing to do with your problem. I care little for linux user support from users because it is basically non-existent."

on this site yes... go to the gentoo site and see there support. a simpl esearch has answered all but two question and those two were answered in 1 hour. all support I have ever gotten has been by users. and now I speend lots of time helping people online fixing there problems.

"Look for loki installers for your favorite games. Look for winex 3.3.2. Go to www.transgaming.com to get info on various games that run and some of the problems/solutions."

did not say they did not work. this about how to market Linux not make it work. its about companies making products and salesmen not knowing its there or not listing it on the windows cd and complaning that the linux version does not sell.
to sell a product you have to advertise and support. for almost all the games you listed there is no manufacture support for linux.

"Linux needs to be tempered. People are to zealot-like. Linux is maturing and games are coming along but comparatively it is a decade behind the gaming on Windows. They could close that gap if they go about it level headed and partner with game companies instead of insulting and demeaning them. A little bit of REAL user to user support would go a long way."

you lost me on this one... if you are saying we jump up and down like Mac users ...well some do but companys must comply with what they advertise. IBM the big saver of Linux does not offer it on there laptops. Intel the "were big into Linux" where working centreno drivers.

people sayu all the time that the driver for linux sucks.. Whell untill manufactures make drivers and not some hassed up crap. we will not have outstanding drives. Most of these manufactures can't make good windows drivers. but almost every driver you see was made by some person for free. with no code , just the product and trying to make it work. So if they suck write a better one.

Willaim S. Huskey
Network Engineer
SAIC
"there are 10 types of people in this world. They who understand binary and they who do not"