Back up files too large for Cd/Floppy disc

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are there
Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a hard copy?

Any advice much appreciated
14 answers Last reply
More about back files large floppy disc
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Andy,

    Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620) which
    alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    - Backup to another HDD.

    --

    Regards,
    Len Segal, MCP

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
    > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are
    > there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a
    > hard copy?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Len Segal" <msn_news@ne_ws.oom> wrote in message
    | Andy,
    |
    | Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    | - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620) which
    | alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    | - Backup to another HDD.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Regards,
    | Len Segal, MCP
    | Microsoft - MVP
    | --------------
    | My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    | NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    | please post questions in newsgroup.

    May I humbly offer a correction to Len's well meant response. Dual layer DVD
    has a capacity in the neighborhood of 8.5 GB. Single layer DVDs are 4.7 GB.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040707/

    Another consideration is to use a third party backup program that writes to
    optical media directly and allows for the spanning of multiple discs.

    I personally use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp which will backup directly
    to recordable CD and DVD (as well as most other media.)

    http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    But i dont have a DVD writer?!

    Is floppy disc the best bet?

    "Len Segal" <msn_news@ne_ws.oom> wrote in message
    > Andy,
    >
    > Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    > - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620) which
    > alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    > - Backup to another HDD.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    > Len Segal, MCP
    > Microsoft - MVP
    > --------------
    > My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    > NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    > please post questions in newsgroup.
    >

    > "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
    >> however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are
    >> there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a
    >> hard copy?
    >>
    >> Any advice much appreciated

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    | But i dont have a DVD writer?!
    |
    | Is floppy disc the best bet?

    I'd have to say no. 4.6 GB of data uncompressed would require more than
    three thousand 1.44 MB floppy discs. :-)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoescolumbus.rr.com> wrote in
    message news:OCC4BdUrEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | But i dont have a DVD writer?!
    > |
    > | Is floppy disc the best bet?
    > |

    > I'd have to say no. 4.6 GB of data uncompressed would require more than
    > three thousand 1.44 MB floppy discs. :-)

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    OK what I've done in the past is this
    use WinZip to zipup your files then use
    the 'split' facility (while the winzip window is still open)
    in the options, to split
    into 700MB chunks. then burn them to
    CD's you'll need about 7 discs.
    to reassemble simply place the discs in
    your drive and extract, your PC will ask
    for the next disc when it needs it.

    P.S. why post to so many groups?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    A couple of suggestions:
    (1) move all person files out of documents and Settings to some obvious
    directory like "Andy".

    (2) Then, use Ntbackup.exe to backup the much smaller Documents and
    Settings, which contains the XP registry, desktop settings, etc.

    (3) Separately backup your personal files using windows explorer, or XCOPY
    (from a command prompt).

    (4) Forget floppies, then are too small, and a rapidly dying technology. I
    would NOT recommend ZIP drives, which are like big floppies (100 250, or 750
    Meg), since they are more expensive than CDs or DVDs, and thus probably have
    a limited future.

    (5) CDs are OK, but DVDs are faster to write and much larger.

    (6) Think about an external USB (or firewire) hard drive. These are
    getting fairly cheap and they come from 40 Gig to 250 Gig (not Meg, Gig). I
    find USB2 and firewire sppeds to be almost as fast as internal hard drive
    reads and writes.

    (7) You might also want to consider a disk imaging program, like Norton
    GHOST 9 or Acronis TrueImage 8. Both can backup to external hard drives,
    CDs, DVDs, etc.

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
    > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are
    > there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a
    > hard copy?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Sure (-;

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > But i dont have a DVD writer?!
    >
    > Is floppy disc the best bet?
    >

    > "Len Segal" <msn_news@ne_ws.oom> wrote in message
    >> Andy,
    >>
    >> Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    >> - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620) which
    >> alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    >> - Backup to another HDD.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Len Segal, MCP
    >> Microsoft - MVP
    >> --------------
    >> My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    >> NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    >> please post questions in newsgroup.
    >>

    >> "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46
    >>> gig, however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb.
    >>> Are there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make
    >>> a hard copy?
    >>>
    >>> Any advice much appreciated

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    D,

    Correction duly noted! Interesting that the 4.7GB figure came from Benq's
    product spec info on that drive that claims to be Double Layered! Oh well!
    <g>

    --

    Regards,
    Len Segal, MCP

    message news:edpP5XTrEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >| "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46
    > gig,
    > | > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are
    > | > there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a
    > | > hard copy?
    > | >
    > | > Any advice much appreciated
    >
    > "Len Segal" <msn_news@ne_ws.oom> wrote in message
    > | Andy,
    > |
    > | Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    > | - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620)
    > which
    > | alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    > | - Backup to another HDD.
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > | Len Segal, MCP
    > | Microsoft - MVP
    > | --------------
    > | My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    > | NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    > | please post questions in newsgroup.
    >
    > May I humbly offer a correction to Len's well meant response. Dual layer
    > DVD
    > has a capacity in the neighborhood of 8.5 GB. Single layer DVDs are 4.7
    > GB.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040707/
    >
    > Another consideration is to use a third party backup program that writes
    > optical media directly and allows for the spanning of multiple discs.
    >
    > I personally use and like BackUP MyPC from Stomp which will backup
    > directly
    > to recordable CD and DVD (as well as most other media.)
    >
    > http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Surely you jest! Even if you didn't mind backing up to >3K floppies, it
    would probably take you >40 hours to do it! And 3K x $0.10 = $300 for a
    single backup! Not very money efficient either.

    Investing $80-90 for a Double-Layered DVD writer is a good investment in
    both time and safety! I just paid $50 for a Single-Layered DVD+-RW drive
    (after rebates) a week ago. Short money for a solution.

    --

    Regards,
    Len Segal, MCP
    My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    please post questions in newsgroup.

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > But i dont have a DVD writer?!
    >
    > Is floppy disc the best bet?
    >

    > "Len Segal" <msn_news@ne_ws.oom> wrote in message
    >> Andy,
    >>
    >> Most efficient method right now is one of two:
    >> - Backup to a DVD. Use the double-layered drives (e.g. Benq DW1620) which
    >> alleges to hold 4.7GB.
    >> - Backup to another HDD.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Len Segal, MCP
    >> Microsoft - MVP
    >> --------------
    >> My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
    >> NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
    >> please post questions in newsgroup.
    >>

    >> "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46
    >>> gig, however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb.
    >>> Are there Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make
    >>> a hard copy?
    >>>
    >>> Any advice much appreciated
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > P.S. why post to so many groups?

    Three related newsgroups is not excessive cross-posting, although
    security_admin is streaching the related part. 8-)
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Hi Andy

    How did you back up your files? A backup of 4.46 GB is very huge.
    Maybe you should try imaging your hard drive with Norton Ghost - it
    produces a much smaller backup.

    If you really want to back up the 4.46 GB, then get an external hard
    drive - it's the best option.

    Gary Hendricks
    www.baby-product-guide.com

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ck5smv$fdq$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
    > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are there
    > Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a hard copy?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    As I have posted on other backup related posts....why can't Microsoft simply
    state there utilty does not work with anything but hard drives and tape
    drives which have enough capacity to equal what you are backing up !!!!!
    Heres an excerpt from the help files in Backup Xp :

    "Select storage media or file location for backed-up data
    Backup provides two options for selecting storage media:
    You can back up your data to a file on a storage device. A storage device
    can be a hard disk, a Zip disk, or any type of removable or nonremovable
    media to which you can save a file. This option is always available.
    You can back up your data to a tape device. This option is available only if
    you have a tape device installed on your computer or connected to it. If you
    back up data to a tape device, the media will be managed by Removable
    Storage."
    Boy, talk about leaving a gaping hole in there instructions...no wonder
    Microsoft has a billion posts with problems...imagine what software
    developers are going through !

    "Gary Hendricks" wrote:

    > Hi Andy
    >
    > How did you back up your files? A backup of 4.46 GB is very huge.
    > Maybe you should try imaging your hard drive with Norton Ghost - it
    > produces a much smaller backup.
    >
    > If you really want to back up the 4.46 GB, then get an external hard
    > drive - it's the best option.
    >
    > Gary Hendricks
    > www.baby-product-guide.com
    >
    > "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ck5smv$fdq$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46 gig,
    > > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are there
    > > Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a hard copy?
    > >
    > > Any advice much appreciated

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:45:03 -0800, Tim Lahr wrote:

    > As I have posted on other backup related posts....why can't Microsoft simply
    > state there utilty does not work with anything but hard drives and tape
    > drives which have enough capacity to equal what you are backing up !!!!!

    This stipulation exists with all backup programs UNLESS they include (and
    the user selects to use) an option to compress the backed up data.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    roxio's cd creator 6 (or later) will allow you to do it.

    "Gary Hendricks" wrote:

    > Hi Andy
    >
    > How did you back up your files? A backup of 4.46 GB is very huge.
    > Maybe you should try imaging your hard drive with Norton Ghost - it
    > produces a much smaller backup.
    >
    > If you really want to back up the 4.46 GB, then get an external hard
    > drive - it's the best option.
    >
    > Gary Hendricks
    > www.baby-product-guide.com
    >
    > "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > help!, have backed up all my files/settings, which has totalled 4.46
    > > gig,
    > > however my CD only holds 700 mb and my floppy discs only 2.0 mb. Are
    > > there
    > > Cd's/ Floppys that will hold 4.46 gig? if not, how can i make a hard
    > > copy?
    > >
    > > Any advice much appreciated

Floppy Disk Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP