Is a backup copy of windows folder on same partition a use..

Hi - an old WIN98SE trick I use is to do a weekly xcopy32 of the
\windows folder to \winstor on the same partition. Then, if I can't
boot (windows somehow corrupted), I boot to safe mode DOS, rename the
\windows folder to \winbad, and rename \winstor to \windows, and reboot,
and at least I'm up and running again. The actualy xcopy32 is
automatically scheduled.

I intend to stay wih FAT32.

Is this a useful trick for XP Home? . I know I would have to boot off
of floppy or CD ROM to do the rename, but is it a valid recovery mechanism?
thanks
/j
7 answers Last reply
More about backup copy windows folder partition

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - an old WIN98SE trick I use is to do a weekly xcopy32 of the
    > \windows folder to \winstor on the same partition. Then, if I can't
    > boot (windows somehow corrupted), I boot to safe mode DOS, rename the
    > \windows folder to \winbad, and rename \winstor to \windows, and reboot,
    > and at least I'm up and running again. The actualy xcopy32 is
    > automatically scheduled.
    >
    > I intend to stay wih FAT32.
    >
    > Is this a useful trick for XP Home? . I know I would have to boot off
    > of floppy or CD ROM to do the rename, but is it a valid recovery
    > mechanism?
    > thanks
    > /j

    IMO, no.

    Windows XP already creates System Restore files {if you have it turned on}
    and maintains a last good configuration. Either will do what you suggest.

    IMO, better to get an image program and maintain a current image of known
    good system.

    Don

    This is in addition to a backup. Something to do if your system wont
    boot (so you cant get at the System Restore files)

    Don MI <> wrote:

    >"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi - an old WIN98SE trick I use is to do a weekly xcopy32 of the
    >> \windows folder to \winstor on the same partition. Then, if I can't
    >> boot (windows somehow corrupted), I boot to safe mode DOS, rename the
    >> \windows folder to \winbad, and rename \winstor to \windows, and reboot,
    >> and at least I'm up and running again. The actualy xcopy32 is
    >> automatically scheduled.
    >>
    >> I intend to stay wih FAT32.
    >>
    >> Is this a useful trick for XP Home? . I know I would have to boot off
    >> of floppy or CD ROM to do the rename, but is it a valid recovery
    >> mechanism?
    >> thanks
    >> /j
    >
    >IMO, no.
    >
    >Windows XP already creates System Restore files {if you have it turned on}
    >and maintains a last good configuration. Either will do what you suggest.
    >
    >IMO, better to get an image program and maintain a current image of known
    >good system.
    >
    >Don

    Sounds like an idea, as long as the "not booting" problem is related to
    something in the Windows folder.

    > This is in addition to a backup. Something to do if your system wont
    > boot (so you cant get at the System Restore files)
    >
    > Don MI <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi - an old WIN98SE trick I use is to do a weekly xcopy32 of the
    >>> \windows folder to \winstor on the same partition. Then, if I can't
    >>> boot (windows somehow corrupted), I boot to safe mode DOS, rename the
    >>> \windows folder to \winbad, and rename \winstor to \windows, and reboot,
    >>> and at least I'm up and running again. The actualy xcopy32 is
    >>> automatically scheduled.
    >>>
    >>> I intend to stay wih FAT32.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a useful trick for XP Home? . I know I would have to boot off
    >>> of floppy or CD ROM to do the rename, but is it a valid recovery
    >>> mechanism?
    >>> thanks
    >>> /j
    >>
    >>IMO, no.
    >>
    >>Windows XP already creates System Restore files {if you have it turned on}
    >>and maintains a last good configuration. Either will do what you suggest.
    >>
    >>IMO, better to get an image program and maintain a current image of known
    >>good system.
    >>
    >>Don

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    > This is in addition to a backup. Something to do if your system wont
    > boot (so you cant get at the System Restore files)

    If your system does not boot, Windows XP offers you the choice to boot to
    the last known good configuration. { I am assuming that the failure to boot
    is not due to a hard drive hardware failure.}

    If you can boot to Safe Mode, you can do a System Restore.

    If the above do not apply, your system is likely so messed up that you best
    restore your latest good image.

    Don

    yes - but isn't it helpful to have an old 'image' (at least of the
    windows directory) right there so it can be 'restored' with a simple
    pair of renames?

    or am i missing something?
    /j

    Don MI <> wrote:

    >"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >> This is in addition to a backup. Something to do if your system wont
    >> boot (so you cant get at the System Restore files)
    >>

    >If your system does not boot, Windows XP offers you the choice to boot to
    >the last known good configuration. { I am assuming that the failure to boot
    >is not due to a hard drive hardware failure.}
    >
    >If you can boot to Safe Mode, you can do a System Restore.
    >
    >If the above do not apply, your system is likely so messed up that you best
    >restore your latest good image.
    >
    >Don

    It will work for some situations, but not all. If you've got another backup,
    that's fine, but I wouldn't recommend it as the only solution. For example,
    a virus could easily infect both directories.

    I guess it only matters if it's helpful to you or not, though. For me, I see
    no point in it. It just doesn't seem worth the bother for the few times it
    would do any good -- and there are other ways to handle those situations,
    anyway. I'm more concerned with backing up data than I am with backing up
    the operating system.

    > yes - but isn't it helpful to have an old 'image' (at least of the
    > windows directory) right there so it can be 'restored' with a simple
    > pair of renames?
    >
    > or am i missing something?
    > /j
    >
    > Don MI <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >>> This is in addition to a backup. Something to do if your system wont
    >>> boot (so you cant get at the System Restore files)
    >>>

    >>If your system does not boot, Windows XP offers you the choice to boot to
    >>the last known good configuration. { I am assuming that the failure to
    >>boot
    >>is not due to a hard drive hardware failure.}
    >>
    >>If you can boot to Safe Mode, you can do a System Restore.
    >>
    >>If the above do not apply, your system is likely so messed up that you
    >>best
    >>restore your latest good image.
    >>
    >>Don

    this is in addition to all other backups - under 98 it was attractive
    because if the machine wouldn't boot, I could swap folders and be up in
    seconds...

    IF it works - which was my original qn

    /j

    D.Currie wrote:

    >It will work for some situations, but not all. If you've got another backup,
    >that's fine, but I wouldn't recommend it as the only solution. For example,
    >a virus could easily infect both directories.
    >
    >I guess it only matters if it's helpful to you or not, though. For me, I see
    >no point in it. It just doesn't seem worth the bother for the few times it
    >would do any good -- and there are other ways to handle those situations,
    >anyway. I'm more concerned with backing up data than I am with backing up
    >the operating system.

Partition Boot Windows XP