ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard Settings?

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I will be receiving my A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard on Thursday.

I will be using an AMD Athlon 2700+ Retail Version CPU with two sticks of the Kingston HyperX Series 256MB DDR434 (PC-3500) DDR RAM.

Is the AMD Athlon 2700+ Retail CPU's Heatsink and Fan good enough, or I should purchase a higher end Heatsink and Fan Unit?

What is the best BIOS Software Revision that I should use for the ASUS A7N8X Motherboard?

What are the best ASUS A7N8X Motherboard BIOS Settings that should I use?

Should I insert the two sticks of Kingston PC-3500 DDR RAM in Slots 1 and 2, and 1 and 3, or 2 and 3?

I plan on using the ASUS Motherboard's on board Sound instead of my Sound Blaster Live Card.

Which of the two NIC Port's should I be using for my DSL Connection?

Are there any other of the ASUS Motherboard's Hardware Settings that I should be using?

Jonathan

Jonathan

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I have to disagree with you on a few points here.

1) If you're not going to be overclocking or anything like that, the retail processor and fan should be fine as long as you put thermal grease down.

2) SB Live! cards suck. The onboard sound is awesome. Don't worry about losing anything as far as sound quality.

3) Be forewarned about the bios temperture readings. My bios misreads the temperature by about 45F. If it's not hot to the touch, it's not running at 70C idle like mine reads, haha.

4) You're gettin a friggin awesome board ;)

Just my opinion, others are welcome to disagree and share thier thoughts. Merry Christmas All ;)

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
BAD IDEA! SB Live! is still far more suprior than A7N8X's onboard sound.

Correct Idea! He can even think about dropping Audigy for nForce audio

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>

buylow

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2001
Use the stock heatsink & fan. I would remove the pad that is attached to the heat w/ lighter fluid, then clean w/ alcohol. Then apply a very thin layer of artic silver on both the heatsink & processor.

Dreadnaught

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
the onboard sound supports 6 point surround, supports EAX, takes up very little cpu and it flat out sounds awsome after you update the drivers. some good commands too. yeah the audigy is good, and aud 2 is really good but i myself decided to leave my audigy platinum in my other pc and go with the nforce2 sound system, and i do 5.1 for my pc. it does rear channel audio much easier, has some great tools for how to set up your system as well.

i dont think you would go wrong with either an audigy or the onboard but the sblive? baa ive got one that is collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

<A HREF="http://www.trsclan.com" target="_new"> Clan TRS is Back </A>