How Do I get a copy of Windows XP Home Addition

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition installed. I
wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the backup program had not
been installed by the dealer and then I discovered that I cannot find my
original disk so that I could do it.

Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new copy
of XP ? I have my product key
--
Bob May

Bob;
Contact the manufacturer about a CD, Microsoft can not help with your
OEM CD issue.

Some manufacturers use a hidden partition instead of a CD.
Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.

Also if a hidden partition is used, contact the manufacturer about
getting a CD anyways.
You may need to pay a little for it but most likely sooner or later
you will need the CD.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

wrote in news:4B16539F-623D-4A54-9684-C96B84EC3AD3@microsoft.com:
> I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition
> installed. I wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the
> backup program had not been installed by the dealer and then I
> discovered that I cannot find my original disk so that I could do it.
>
> Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new
> copy of XP ? I have my product key

Download NTBackup
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

Byte

Bob, look for a directory called I386 and check if it has any files ending
in BIN. Your backup may be stored there.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:13:02 -0700, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
>I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition installed. I
>wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the backup program had not
>been installed by the dealer and then I discovered that I cannot find my
>original disk so that I could do it.
>Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new copy
>of XP ? I have my product key

Bob, if you want to back up everything, like all of your installed stuff,
the best thing to do is to "image' your hard drive. This is a complete
backup, including your operating system too.

But you may not want to hear this - you need to purchase a 3rd party
program to do this. Norton "Ghost" is one, or I think "Drive Image" is
another, though I think Norton may have bought out Drive Image.

Then you'll need a place to put the backup.. CDs can be used, but nowadays
this is ridiculous, as files are just too big. DVDs can be used too, but
still, you'd need a bunch of them if you have like 50 gigs on your hard
drive. An external USB would is great for this.. You only plug it in
when you want to back up.

But of course all of this is going to cost some.. If you don't want to
purchase imaging software, an external USB hard drive is still a good
idea. Just always save to your C: drive, any software you want to
install, instead of just installing it from a download. Then every so
often save these files, and your movies & pics and docs, to the external.
External hard drives with their own power supply are coming down in price.
Look for one with a rebate. I bought a 160 gig. 80 giggers should be
really good deals.
...D.