How Do I get a copy of Windows XP Home Addition

I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition installed. I
wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the backup program had not
been installed by the dealer and then I discovered that I cannot find my
original disk so that I could do it.

Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new copy
of XP ? I have my product key
--
Bob May
4 answers Last reply

    Bob;
    Contact the manufacturer about a CD, Microsoft can not help with your
    OEM CD issue.

    Some manufacturers use a hidden partition instead of a CD.
    Check your manual and/or contact the manufacturer for details.

    Also if a hidden partition is used, contact the manufacturer about
    getting a CD anyways.
    You may need to pay a little for it but most likely sooner or later
    you will need the CD.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    wrote in news:4B16539F-623D-4A54-9684-C96B84EC3AD3@microsoft.com:
    > I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition
    > installed. I wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the
    > backup program had not been installed by the dealer and then I
    > discovered that I cannot find my original disk so that I could do it.
    >
    > Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new
    > copy of XP ? I have my product key

    Download NTBackup
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    Bob, look for a directory called I386 and check if it has any files ending
    in BIN. Your backup may be stored there.

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:13:02 -0700, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:
    >I recently purchased a new computer with Win XP Home addition installed. I
    >wanted to back up my hard drive and found that the backup program had not
    >been installed by the dealer and then I discovered that I cannot find my
    >original disk so that I could do it.
    >Is there a way that I can get a replacement copy without buying a new copy
    >of XP ? I have my product key

    Bob, if you want to back up everything, like all of your installed stuff,
    the best thing to do is to "image' your hard drive. This is a complete
    backup, including your operating system too.

    But you may not want to hear this - you need to purchase a 3rd party
    program to do this. Norton "Ghost" is one, or I think "Drive Image" is
    another, though I think Norton may have bought out Drive Image.

    Then you'll need a place to put the backup.. CDs can be used, but nowadays
    this is ridiculous, as files are just too big. DVDs can be used too, but
    still, you'd need a bunch of them if you have like 50 gigs on your hard
    drive. An external USB would is great for this.. You only plug it in
    when you want to back up.

    But of course all of this is going to cost some.. If you don't want to
    purchase imaging software, an external USB hard drive is still a good
    idea. Just always save to your C: drive, any software you want to
    install, instead of just installing it from a download. Then every so
    often save these files, and your movies & pics and docs, to the external.
    External hard drives with their own power supply are coming down in price.
    Look for one with a rebate. I bought a 160 gig. 80 giggers should be
    really good deals.
    ...D.

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives Product