Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12
Samsung SH-S223C (Optical drive)
Cooler Master RS-460
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM

The system boots to BIOS just fine.

Here's what's strange:

On my new PC:
1. When I put the Windows7 dvd in the drive it will ask me: Do you want to boot the CDROM (y/n)?:
If I hit 'y' the screen then goes to a black screen with a series of H's down the side of the screen like this:
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H

Then it hangs for eternity.

2. If I put my copy of Windows XP (from 6 years ago) in the drive of my new PC; it asks to boot from the cdrom (as before) and then jumps into the XP setup.

---------

On my 6-year old DELL XPS machine, if I drop the copy of Windows7 (the one I just purchased) into the DVD drive and boot from the drive. It enters the Windows7 setup screen.

What is going on? Why does my new computer always hang when I try to install Windows 7?

UPDATE:

I tried my new computer with a new graphics card -> same error
I tried my new computer with a new DVD drive -> same error

I tried to remove the graphics card entirely and set the BIOS to use VGA output. However, when I did this I could not get any video signal from the VGA port.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
enter the BIOS with you're entire new setup put together, select the DVD device as the first for boot option and the hard drive as the second, pop the DVD in the tray and close, restart, it should then ask to hit any key to boot from CD... do so, see if that does it...

AsmodeusDM

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
When I remove a stick of ram.. it doesn't make it past the POST and just freezes at the following:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
<CPUID: blah blah>
Memory Testing : 2095040k OK
Memory Informatin: DDR2 800 Unganged Mode

and then it just hangs there...

when I switch boot order: to dvd first, hdd second..

goes to a black screen:

Loading Operating System ...
_ (blinking white cursor)

:: dvd drive starts to spin up ::

goes to ->

H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H

dotc0m

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I have the same problem, as posted on the other forum u searching for help...

got a nvdia card so the problem is not the gfx...

two option arise, hard drive or memory problem

someone know what the H error mean? : on boot it do >>

H

H

H

H

H

AS A INTERESTING NOTE... i own 2x seagate harddrive, the 1st crashed recently and started to gave the H error... so i installed a new windows on my other hard drive(did a format before) and after window update i still getting the H error ...

so im wondering, is it windows 7 update who give problem? (considering Asmosdeus having the problem on fresh install, its not related to windows then?)

So...is it hard drive problem?(i would have both my hd crash giving out H error on boot?... that would be unlucky)

or its a memory problem(but i tried to install with plenty of config with the old drive and still had the H error, and by this i mean i tried with 4 stick, trying with different config of 1stick or 2stick till i got bored(didnt do all probability) and ended up starting the new install on new harddrive... at that moment i had only 2stick, if it was memory problem why i managed to reach whole installation, run update, reboot, updates, reboot, update... starting backup after all the trouble and update and then bluescreen and again the H error...