Files moved to Recycle bin

I am new to XP. On W98 (which I upgraded from), when I would delete
temporary files after exiting the web, the files would go to my recycle bin,
where i could then "permanently" discard. I could follow the "trail" on 98.
Now, I go to Tools, Internet Options and "delete" cookies and "delete" files.
Once I have done this, I have no idea where they have gone, or if they have
gone. Any idea where they go? ALso, on 98, I could find a lot of what I
worked on/viewed, in my cache file. I can't even find a cache on XP to look
at. Anything that I discard from any other Windows application other than IE
or Netscape goes to my recycle bnin to be trashed. Any sugestions? Tech
support for my PC was of no help! (Think it was someone in India!)
--
Mike
4 answers Last reply

    When you delete the Temp Internet or Cookies files from the Internet Options
    general tab, they do not go to the recycle bin, but are just deleted--a good
    thing.

    "New At XP" wrote:

    > I am new to XP. On W98 (which I upgraded from), when I would delete
    > temporary files after exiting the web, the files would go to my recycle bin,
    > where i could then "permanently" discard. I could follow the "trail" on 98.
    > Now, I go to Tools, Internet Options and "delete" cookies and "delete" files.
    > Once I have done this, I have no idea where they have gone, or if they have
    > gone. Any idea where they go? ALso, on 98, I could find a lot of what I
    > worked on/viewed, in my cache file. I can't even find a cache on XP to look
    > at. Anything that I discard from any other Windows application other than IE
    > or Netscape goes to my recycle bnin to be trashed. Any sugestions? Tech
    > support for my PC was of no help! (Think it was someone in India!)
    > --
    > Mike

    On the desktop, right click Recycle Bin | Properties |
    Uncheck: ? Do not move files to the Recycle Bin |
    Check: ? Display delete confirmation dialog
    Apply | OK

    Norton Utilities???

    Norton Protected Recycle Bin

    Right click the Recycle Bin | Properties | Norton Protection tab

    Norton Utilities 2002 v6.0 - WinNT/2000/XP
    Troubleshooting problems with the Recycle Bin
    http://tinyurl.com/yv89e

    How to remove the Norton Protected Recycle Bin and/or the Windows Recycle
    Bin
    http://tinyurl.com/3arpu

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:0EF1A705-782B-41ED-A002-84D598B8E7D7@microsoft.com,
    New At XP <NewAtXP@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am new to XP. On W98 (which I upgraded from), when I would delete
    > temporary files after exiting the web, the files would go to my
    > recycle bin, where i could then "permanently" discard. I could
    > follow the "trail" on 98. Now, I go to Tools, Internet Options and
    > "delete" cookies and "delete" files. Once I have done this, I have
    > no idea where they have gone, or if they have gone. Any idea where
    > they go? ALso, on 98, I could find a lot of what I worked on/viewed,
    > in my cache file. I can't even find a cache on XP to look at.
    > Anything that I discard from any other Windows application other than
    > IE or Netscape goes to my recycle bnin to be trashed. Any
    > sugestions? Tech support for my PC was of no help! (Think it was
    > someone in India!)

    Wesley,

    Thanks. However, the recycle bin is set up as you provided.
    I do have Norton Internet Security. It is not showing up on/in my Recycle
    bin, nor can I find it within the confines/properties or definitions in
    Norton. I also received a post from another individual; she replied that "it
    just goes away. That is good!" ----If this is the case, I do not have a
    problem with this. I just want to make certain that it is not "hiding"
    itself somewhere within the confines of my PC, eating up space on my hard
    drive or RAM. Each time I am ready to exit the Internet, I do the
    TOOLS-INTERNET OPTIONS - DELETE COOKIES - DELETE FILES and then do a "disk
    clean" (just as a precaution). I am attempting to find out if I am 1) doing
    things right; 2) trying to figure why I can't locate cache, which used to
    include all of my internet sites visited, which were then deleted (for sure).

    Thanks
    Mike
    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > On the desktop, right click Recycle Bin | Properties |
    > Uncheck: Â? Do not move files to the Recycle Bin |
    > Check: Â? Display delete confirmation dialog
    > Apply | OK
    >
    > Norton Utilities???
    >
    > Norton Protected Recycle Bin
    >
    > Right click the Recycle Bin | Properties | Norton Protection tab
    >
    > Norton Utilities 2002 v6.0 - WinNT/2000/XP
    > Troubleshooting problems with the Recycle Bin
    > http://tinyurl.com/yv89e
    >
    > How to remove the Norton Protected Recycle Bin and/or the Windows Recycle
    > Bin
    > http://tinyurl.com/3arpu
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:0EF1A705-782B-41ED-A002-84D598B8E7D7@microsoft.com,
    > New At XP <NewAtXP@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I am new to XP. On W98 (which I upgraded from), when I would delete
    > > temporary files after exiting the web, the files would go to my
    > > recycle bin, where i could then "permanently" discard. I could
    > > follow the "trail" on 98. Now, I go to Tools, Internet Options and
    > > "delete" cookies and "delete" files. Once I have done this, I have
    > > no idea where they have gone, or if they have gone. Any idea where
    > > they go? ALso, on 98, I could find a lot of what I worked on/viewed,
    > > in my cache file. I can't even find a cache on XP to look at.
    > > Anything that I discard from any other Windows application other than
    > > IE or Netscape goes to my recycle bnin to be trashed. Any
    > > sugestions? Tech support for my PC was of no help! (Think it was
    > > someone in India!)

    Hi Mike,

    The cache you're referring to is called Temporary Internet Files. From the
    way you described that you're deleting Temporary Internet Files, you still
    have a boatload that you're *not* getting rid of.

    Some Temporary Internet Files are hidden.

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    To display hidden files and folders
    http://tinyurl.com/4lxxn

    From XP HELP:
    To display hidden files and folders
    [[Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Folder Options
    On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and
    folders]]

    To view:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files

    Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    General tab | Settings button | View Files button

    To view:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 AND \Content.MSO (If you have any Office programs. i.e.
    MS Word).

    Start | Run | Type: cleanmgr | OK | Highlight Temporary Internet Files |
    View Files button

    Or...

    Start | Run | Type: %TEMP% | OK |

    You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar.
    Click: [+] Temporary Internet Files
    Click: [+] Content.IE5
    Click: Random named folders
    View
    You can also view Content.MSO
    ---------------

    To clean out Temporary Internet Files, *all* of them.....

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    Hope I covered everything. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.