Any fellow PC gamers in SE Pennsylvania area? LAN parties?

I'm just looking for some fellow gamers in the South Eastern PA area. I'm in the Lancaster area but just curious how many of you are out there.

My buddy has a monthly LAN party that is pretty fun and entertaining and wasn't sure if there are some local gamers up for a night of explosions and laughs sometime. We usually have a crowed anywhere from a lonely 5-6 people to 16 sometimes. Still a good time, he charges a fee but put alot of work into tables, power, CAT6 all around, Gigabit switch, and all that jazz. He has food as well and when its warm we grill out and such. I work as an Engineer in the IT department and am surprised there are no PC gamers and my usual slew of friends really isn't the gaming type. Usually lasts from 2pm - like.... 5-6ish AM haha. Ok this is sounding more like a personal ad or yellowpages insert.

Also, I'm curious is there are any other local Lan parties out there, a group of us would like to hit up one to see what you guys do.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
We LAN party in my basement about twice a year. it usually takes us just as long to cuss and fight with getting everyone installed and connected as it does to play LOL. Anyway I'm near STL and not PA. But LAN parties are fun, we usually tend to eat pizza and chill around the TV instead.

I can definitely see the frustration in setting it up. My buddy has benches setup with chairs he got from a warehouse. I think he has a seperate 100A circuit just for his basement. Cat6 wire dropped everywhere, 4 outlet blocks all over, cable modem, w/ router and dell 24port gigabit switch and an AMD Opteron server in a mobile short rack. He has a corner with a couch and little TV for a console if someone brings one or he bring one down. So basically I carry my PC, monitor and backpack down, all in one trip cause my PC has a handle, and takes me 5 minutes to setup and im golden. Sweet setup I think. He makes burgers and has soda and junk food so we munch all night long. People take smoke breaks and tell stories and such. By the end of the night like midnight on people sometimes leave and then a handful remain by 3,4,5,6 am and we just surf the net for crazy stupid stuff and play with the fog machine sometimes. Its a grand time. I figured there had to be a few people on here in the area game for that sort stuff. Since I apparently can't find any milling around work or other friends. haha

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Our traditional games are FEAR combat, counter strike source and UT2004. This year though we're adding TF2 and they are trying to convince me of starcraft as well (I am not smart nor patient enough for RTS though)

We play some demo's sometimes. We did the FEAR demo and was cool. UT2004 was on the list till UT3 cameout which is really cool lookin. We do like TF2 and it always fun. COD4 is sweat. We play it on a LAN not the internet and have our own game going on the server. We used to play CarFry alot but I believe COD4 took its place as our staple FPS. If we have a few people we used to play some BF2142. We will whip out an oldie sometimes. We have playe C&C generals once or twice and even Supreme Commander if we only have a few people. Those RTS's can just get so dang long. World in Conflict is really fun and Company of hero's as well.

pauldh

Illustrious
A PC gaming buddy of mine lives in Lancaster that possibly would be interested.

I used to occasionally set up mini 8 person LAN paties and supply all the machines even. It was fun, but a ton of work for me to prepare for. Anyway, I can sure understand him charging a fee if done regularly.

That's cool if he/she is interested PM me and let me know I can shoot you my email or something. He does it once a month.

Yeah the beauty of it is the place is ALWAYS setup and ready to go at a moment's notice. It is actually in his Dad's basement and he lives in a town over. His dad doesn't play, but is an Electrical Engineer or used to be and likes to get involved. I think my buddy is actually moving into his dad's house as his dad is out of state for a while and might be for good so he may just rent the house from him. But regardless it's pretty cool. Gets a little chilly in the winter sometimes, but now that is warmer its great. Yeah he put alot of effort, time, and money into it so I don't dispute a charge. The food is nice to so we can eat and play and such. He used to have a projector hooked to a PS2 or 360 on the wall but it was his dads and doesn't have it anymore.

pauldh

Illustrious
AH, that's very nice. I'll let him know about it, and PM you if he's interested. Thanks!

I have 3-4 machine ready all the time for racing games, and do this with my kids even. But beyond that required folding tables in my living room for 4 on 4 action. Worked out ok to be in two different rooms, especially for team based games. I dream of having the space to be set up nice like your friend.

I wish I had 3-4 machines laying around. haha. His basement isn't spectacular and is your every day run of the mill basement, but its a cool little setup. I've gone over for just like 3 of us to play a game online all night. Like we used to just get together every so often and play BF2142 and now COD4. It's so much easier if you are in the same room to be in a squad or help each other out. He's come over to my place and setup shop on the kitchen table already, but his system is a pain to drag around, 26"lcd and full tower Thermaltake Armor case and doesn't help that it's loaded to the gills with stuff.

gta_bmx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
http://www.lanparty.com/

This website allows you to find local LAN parties in your area. LAN parties are a blast because it's fun to play against people who are in the same room as you, so you can shout out loud after pulling off a head shot. Been to a few. You can even include your spouse/gf in the fun. They can bring food (I like to bring my charcoal grill and cook hamburgers/hot dogs) and chat with the other women. It's fun to let the women play against each other.

gta_bmx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
This one friend has 5 17" CRT monitors at his house, so it saves 5 of us from having to lug over our monitors. CRT's are dirt cheap now. A local used PC junk store has 'em for $10-$15 each.

Yeah my GF is not the real gaming type. I mean she plays a few games like Guitar Hero 3 on my PS2 and even bought Soul Caliber3 so she had a game to help destress her every so often. But isn't really a PC gamer, I think she said she like the CSI ones but that is it. If she had a Pink PC though I think she would be more inclined. haha

17" CRT? that would be a nice option but i can't go backwards from a 22" WS it just would stink. I rather drag mine along.

I'll have to check out that site tonight it's blocked here at work. I've seen some of those sites and my buddy posts on them every so often. It's called the TOKPAW LAN if you ever see if posted.

dwg115

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Hey guys,
I'm a part of Fites LAN. we're one of the biggest lan partys here in PA we host an annual event of over 150 people and we have monthly events in York PA that are between 20-50 people. We are in a growing spurt and are trying to add more members so we can up our annual event to 250 or more. Please stop by our website for more info and why your there check out our gallerys of past events and if your interested join up and look for a monthly lan posted in the coming weeks as we just had a monthlylan.
www.fites.net

Dave (dwg115)

cuzznkev

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
FITES.NET is having their yearly 150 man event the weekend of Feb 27 to Mar 1. 40 Hours of gaming madness. Check out our site at www.fites.net

hot74rod2003

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
hey, im in lancaster county! im big on call of duty 5 world at war let me know if you guys play that? either way get back to me cause im always looking for pc friends(fellow nerds)!

Dagnarus

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hi i just want to revive this thread and throw it out there again for Lancaster PA and Pennsylvania gaming meetups. It's May, 2012 and I'm looking for PC gamers in Lancaster or nearby who want to plan Lan games and possibly practice for competitive tournaments. I'm looking for teammates who want to train for competitive games like starcraft 2, league of legends, and counter strike. So anyone whos in the area (Penssylvania, East Coast) and wants to put together some meetings / put some practice time in. Lemme Know. email jdarrellplf@gmail.com
Lancaster Pro Gaming //

Dagnarus

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Pennsylvania Gamers! join my mailing list for Pennsylvania LAN Party, Pennsylvania Table Top Gaming, Pennsylvania League of Legends! email me jdarrellplf@gmail.com we have games every night online and will be organizing events soon! PA Gamers.
Pennsylvania Gaming
Lancaster, PA Video Games
http://jdarrell.netau.net/
http://lancastergames.proboards.com/