Sign in with
Your question

A Crysis Review - Possible Spoilage

Last response: in Video Games
April 22, 2008 4:19:58 AM

Prefacing, 28 yo computer nerd here, grew up on Castle, Rogue, Zork and Kroz, played just about every major blockbusting game out there.

I just completed Crysis, on Delta difficulty, and I was rather disappointed. I expected much more difficulty completing it. Overall, it felt as if the devs may have rushed a few things, which I'm sure they had to, EA is like that.

The AI's level of intelligence was very low. The helicopters were what I had the most difficulty with, but even then two quick rockets and they were toast. I'm a stealthy approach, recon the hell out of an area, then ease by or hit hard kind of FPS player, and I would have appreciated a lot more enemies trying to hunt me down, rather than stare bleakly into the jungle ignoring a sentry missing from his post. I think alarm sounding on AI locating a dead body, weapons or spent shell casings, increased alert level on blood spills or mysterious footprints and unit commanders screaming for reinforcements as the sentries were falling would have made for a better game. I would have liked to seen roving patrols that get checked on when not reporting back after a set amount of time. The same with villages/bases. If I take out a medium size base, and I'm dicking around looking for more ammo, the cavalry should show up to figure out why someone wasn't answering the radio anymore.

I liked that I didn't have to hunt for ammo, every level had a decent cache of weapons and ammunition, but as always, when reloading, I spaced off into a different dimension and when I came back, I always seemed to have a full mag and no partials. I also liked the damage zones and varying armor strengths for vehicles. Hitting a tank in the turret required more hits than tagging it from behind, etc. Deflating tires and as a result, sloppy handling in the vehicle was nice. I also liked the amount of debris generated from blowing up a building. The incendiary ammo seemed to be almost an after thought, and since I hoarded it, I didn't see much of an effect, but was glad for something different than FMJ.

The graphics were wonderful. The IQ with my card was very realistic, as were the shadows and lighting. This was the best part of the game, though it didn't blow me away like Farcry did back in it's heyday, hard to beat near perfection. I did notice some issues with the leaves in trees, but that's to be expected.

I absolutely did not enjoy the level inside the alien ship, nor the one on the Carrier. While both original, they just weren't what I wanted I guess. Also, seeing seaman salute petty officers also diminished the reality.

I encountered just a few technical hiccups, some weapons lodging themselves into walls, a few Hummers jumping up and down on the ground after being destroyed. I also noticed a few fighter/bombers going through landscape without exploding. There was one level where a boat was on stilts, and they couldn't be destroyed dropping the boat into the water.

Little things I liked were some of the enemy laying down, snoozing. Though I didn't see any smokers, and their living quarters were always trashed (why? no OCD NKoreans?) I also liked the crab and sand pipers / quail? and fish. The shark pissed me off, I wanted to hack it to pieces but alas. The cruisers or whatever they were supposed to be also launched some surface to surface missiles at one point, that was pretty cool. I loved the flying mission, it took me awhile, but was fun and the arctic jungle mission with the frozen jarheads tugged at my heart a little.

I'd give the game overall, a solid 7, but I'm a tough grader.

More about : crysis review spoilage

April 22, 2008 4:42:53 AM

Its a good game that was really in an unfinished state during its release. You would think the patch would fix more issues. I saw some of my enemies weapons still firing off and going up the wall until it dissapeared thru the ceiling.

Another favorite was after killing an enemy soldier and expecting to be able to find ammo. I noticed that the gun was there but you couldnt pick it up. I finally tried hitting the guy after he was dead and he would yell out each time. It would take about 4-5 times and he would finally let go and I could get the gun/ammo.

I enjoyed the game but I think that game single handedly sold more nvidia 8 series cards than any other game out there. It was good but not really good enough to build a complete system around to play like 1000s of people did.

I have to say COD4 is the best graphics and game play of any other game so far. There are nearly 0 issues in playing that game. The only thing I saw during that game was blowing up this guy near the power lines and he landed on the fence. His feet was on the fence and the rest of his body was floating in the air parallel to the ground as if he was lying on the ground.

Thats about the only issue I can remember on that game. Activision did a great jpb on that game.
April 22, 2008 3:07:02 PM

I really liked the game I found it fun to use the cloak and play like predator picking off one or two enamies at a time. It was also fun to sneak up and grab the enemie and throw him through a wall using enhanced strength.
Related resources
April 22, 2008 4:18:12 PM

@GrandAdmiralThrawn

Yeah, hand-to-hand combat was my preffered approach throughout. You can make the game as challenging as you want.

I pulled off some crazy crap in that game. My only gripes would be

1. I didn't think that the vehicles rolled well enough after I jumped out of them at high speeds. It's like they auto-braked. Ruined some fun plans.

2. The remote bombs - I wanted better options with regard to placing and detonating them.

3. No silence mode. It was too difficult to sneak around. You'd think that with such a fancy, high-tech robo-suit that you'd be able to make a little less noise. So - I'd like to see a fifth mode - silent.

April 22, 2008 4:37:19 PM

jvandecar said:
I absolutely did not enjoy the level inside the alien ship, nor the one on the Carrier. While both original, they just weren't what I wanted I guess. Also, seeing seaman salute petty officers also diminished the reality.

I agree. This is where Crysis really faltered for me. The alien ship should have been a high point and it wasn't. In fact, the game got worse in my opinion. The zero G gameplay wasn't fun. The aliens were uninspiring. And the level design was average at best.

Quote:
I'd give the game overall, a solid 7, but I'm a tough grader.

Again, I'd have to agree. The game just didn't clinch it for me, even with the cool super-suit features and awesome graphics. And....I can't believe I'm saying this but...I'd probably give Halo 3 a higher score than Crysis.

GASP!!!!! Rob is a CFB*!!!!!

*Console Fanboy
April 22, 2008 5:14:27 PM

haha.. I liked the ship at first, but after a while, I got confused, had no idea which way was up.. and how the hell do I get out this forbidden place?

What I hated most though, was the ending, I was so psyked that we were back together again, find Prophet (lol not the prophet of truth) and kick some slimy cold alien ass! BUT NO! THE END! And we haft to wait 2 years if they do release the sequels!

Can't wait for the mods that i'm waiting for..
April 22, 2008 5:41:27 PM

Yeah, the ending was a bummer. What's with a lot of game endings these days? Why do the designers create ill-advised cliffhanger endings that go out with a whimper instead of a bang? Ugh....
April 22, 2008 7:09:44 PM

It's all about the money. I'm sure the designers don't have much leeway when it comes to release dates, once it gets to a certain point, the publishers probably hammer at them to get it out the door.

It's why I'm so against massive gaming publishing conglomerates. Once a big company puts their name on a product, quality tends to drop. There are however, pros and cons, but I feel the cons usually tend to outweigh the pros.

EA and Maxis, is a great example. SimCity Societies is horrible.
EA and Westwood another example, Wrath of Kane anyone?
April 22, 2008 7:47:06 PM

@Rob

OK, the ending was somewhat abrupt, but I thought that it was pretty dramatic.

And if I recall correctly, you are a huge fan of HL2, and that game felt like it ended in the middle of a sentence. I was stunned when the credits started to roll. That was the only time when I absolutely did not see the end coming....

Quick edit - I didn't like the alien stuff that much either - see my post above - all those improvements would be with regard to fighting the NKs.
April 23, 2008 12:27:54 AM

you werent really suppose to know which way was up in the alien ship.
and if you did get lost, you should have come to a complete stop and find out which way the current was pushing you, then go the opposite direction

i absolutely loved the game. first game i ever got to throw people through walls and punch people 20 feet or so. god it was so fun. sure it ended as if there is going to be a second one, but that makes me kind of excited, knowing that i get to play a Crysis 2.

the incendiary ammo is actually pretty damn powerful, actually probably a little overpowered.

sure the AI was pretty bad, but you could make the game difficult by running into a group of enemies and destroying them with your fists.

its the first game i have ever played in which you could do just about anything. Oblivion is pretty close, but i didnt get to destroy buildings in Oblivion.

i agree totally with chazwuzzer, HL2 had the biggest surprise ending i have ever seen. blah blah blah blah end.............. i was actually pretty pissed with that because the action was just starting to pick up (or was that episode 1?).

what else did you want from the ending. you destroyed a mother ship wit h two surprisingly easy placed tac shells.

the game offered so many great NEW things-----that's why i loved it so much

and to ENGLANDR753
"i have to say COD4 is the best graphics" ****
cod4 doesnt even come close to the graphics that Crysis portrays. COD4 doesnt even put a dent in my fps, but Crysis puts a freaking crater.
and Crysis won best graphics at Spikes videogame awards (however much that matters lol)
ENGLANDR753 if only you could see Crysis at 1920x1200 with all high or very high settings, it is unbelievable. maybe you have already, but have forgotten extremely quick.
April 23, 2008 3:19:53 AM

@raptorxt

Yup, Crysis at very high looked utterly fantastic. COD4 simply cannot compete. I could almost feel the tropical heat - and I am in Minnesota.
April 23, 2008 5:24:58 AM

Chazwuzzer said:
@Rob

And if I recall correctly, you are a huge fan of HL2, and that game felt like it ended in the middle of a sentence. I was stunned when the credits started to roll. That was the only time when I absolutely did not see the end coming....

Quick edit - I didn't like the alien stuff that much either - see my post above - all those improvements would be with regard to fighting the NKs.

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought of it that way, Chazzie. HL2 kind of did end with a big cliffhanger, thanks for pointing that out. Now I have egg on my face...

No, seriously, it's a good point. But I'll say this -- I think Half-Life 2 ended with the right kind of cliffhanger. You stop Breen, you blow the reactor, but then time stops -- it's G-Man time! The game ends the same way it began, which I thought was brilliant. And here's the difference between HL2 and Crysis: with HL2, I knew it was the climax and the mission was over. But with Crysis, I was sort of expecting more game to play...but then it just ends. It was the wrong kind of cliffhanger, getting you all charged up for more action and then not delivering. It's like, hey, let's go and take back the island! In Crysis II! Peace, we outta here!!!!
April 23, 2008 5:44:54 AM

COD4 is a very good game that has few if any bugs that Crysis had. I have both games, played both games and I can honestly say I enjoyed both games but COD4 to me had better gameplay, better storyline and is a more realistic setting you can relate to that actually can happen.

I have a pretty high end gaming rig I play on and I can see everything that Crysis has to offer. It was a pretty good game but it would be so much better and demand a lot less from your rig if it had fewer glitches that stems from obviously a release date deadline.

Raptorxt, fps doesnt always mean a great game. Crysis system requirements is a combination of great graphics and glitches in the game code. Fix the glitches and your fps will go up more than you think, IMO.

If theres a Crysis 2, I will buy it. I just hope they do a better job on the second one.
April 23, 2008 5:20:05 PM

robwright said:
Yeah, the ending was a bummer. What's with a lot of game endings these days? Why do the designers create ill-advised cliffhanger endings that go out with a whimper instead of a bang? Ugh....

From what I can tell Crysis is trying to be like HL2. Bring innovative cutting edge best possible graphics for the time period, integrate new gameplay methods, kinda like the Physics gun, and have an ending that makes you ask questions woundering what will happen next and wanting more.

Well problem is that the suit adds to gameplay but its just like taking 5 FPS games and putting them together. And VALVe has way more experience in making a game thats ending will make you want even more. Even though the HL universe has a lot of mystery it keeps you coming back. For some reason I always want to keep going when I beat EP2 but can't. Can't wait till EP3.

As for graphics, they are not bad. Not the best when it comes to graphics jumps, I reserve that for HL2, but not the worst. Its nice but there are games out there that, even without the uber photo realistic graphics, seem more appealing to me. Like TF2. Not realistic looking but still looks awesome on a 40" HD TV.

In all I would agree. Crysis is not anything special. Its fun for a bit but does get old. Graphics are nice and the trees are pretty. But I still haven't played it through more than 1.5 times. I just keep getting pulled back to TF2 and Audiosurf.
April 24, 2008 2:34:59 AM

englandr753

all i was saying was that crysis has better graphics

whether or not it has better gameplay, settings, realism, or storyline is up to the individual

and i am pretty sure Crysis is a three part series
i was reading on the Crysis forums and from the developers that it was meant to be a three part series.

its kind of funny that the nanosuit was a last minute deal. they weren't even going to put it in, but, apparently, rethought that rash decision.

i might have a different opinion about crysis if i played it all the time, but in my current situation i only get to play online once every two weeks. but as it stands it is number 1 in my book

and i totally agree that the single player does get boring, but then i start walking around and see if i can do new things or find new things. thats what is so cool about the game; you can do virtually anything.
April 24, 2008 3:28:44 AM

One thing that aggrivated me was no matter which way I went in the part where you are being chased on the river I always get found or they appear out of nowhere. Its like no matter what I do the computer wants me to get shot at.

The ending aggrivated me too. I was like WTF???????????? But meh.

I think Crysis got too hyped cuz of the graphics. They are nice but nothing to hype about. Oh well.
April 24, 2008 12:53:23 PM

Its an overall good game with its faults. Tbh, it is a cutting edge game on graphics and as I said before it does have bugs an a lot of them.

Hopefully there will be more games from crysis and hopefully they will have learned something about what was obviously wrong with the first one and take the time to perfect the next game. Lets hope!
April 24, 2008 1:19:04 PM

Chazwuzzer said:
@Rob

about hl2, your totally right. The ending was cheesy and abrupt and not fitting for a sequel that came out like 5 years after the original. I waited all that time and all i got was "is it that time again? dr freeman..." balls i say.

On crysis I thought the game was more fun after patching to 1.2 than over the original vanilla version.

cheers
April 24, 2008 2:20:29 PM

spoonboy said:
about hl2, your totally right. The ending was cheesy and abrupt and not fitting for a sequel that came out like 5 years after the original. I waited all that time and all i got was "is it that time again? dr freeman..." balls i say.

On crysis I thought the game was more fun after patching to 1.2 than over the original vanilla version.

cheers

It would have been sooner if the Source engine wasn't stolen. The game was pretty much complete. They had to redo the whole game. But think of it this way. If we got it that early TF2 would have been different and we wouldn't have had the awesome multiplayer game we have now.
April 25, 2008 12:41:31 AM

hmmm yes there is that but then again we would have had something else a bit sooner. Swings and roundabouts!
April 26, 2008 12:14:01 AM

I have to say that after all of the reviews I was pleased with Crysis. Disappointing final battle and ending, but man were there some really fun scenes and moments! I know it wasn't totally free-roaming, but it felt like it in some of the mid-game jungle areas.
It didn't bring my system to a crawl like I was led to believe, only playing with DX9 High settings with mid-level filters at 16x9 and it looked and played great. Sometimes I'll be driving to work and I'll think about how much better the scenery in Crysis is than what I see in the real world!
!