Inherited PC: Help on if I'll be able to play Medieval 2: Total War

stevesy710

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Hello there!
:hello:
My brother just gave me his PC cus he built a new one again. Don't know why he keeps putting together new ones but this time I guess it's good news for me!!!!! :bounce:

To be honest I'm not too familiar with PC components cus I've used a ibook for the past couple years and before that had an old compaq but I'm really wanting to play that game

Medieval 2 : Total War and maybe Empire Total War when it comes out.

Wanting to know if I will be needing to upgrade to play either of those games on DECENT SETTINGS. Any suggestions please! I'm limited on $$$ and don't want to waste time + $$$ to buy a game that doesn't run well.

I do know that the acer monitor he gave me has a resolution that can't go any higher than 1680 by 1050 I think it's a 22 inch not sure but shouldn't matter too much should it?

I'm going to list all the specs information that I can find or think of.

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2ghz @ 3.49 so i'm not sure if it's 3.2 or 3.49 Wutever but that's what it says anyways ok next

3GB of DDR2 800 Ram

150GB Western Digital Raptor
500GB Hitachi

Don't know why he has 2 hard drives in it. You'd think the 500GB would be enough..... :heink:

ok um the graphics card made by BFG Tech 8800GTX 768mb

not sure if sound card matters but it's a xtreme gamer by creative

oh almost forgot it's on a vista ultimate I'm more familiar with xp cus i've used it on friends

em besides that i see some zalman fan i asked him about that fan taped to the graphics card he said it runs cooler with it so i won't mess with it besides that i just see an excess of fans :lol:

here is a pic i took hosted hope you can see it below
pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

pc3.jpg

pc4.jpg

pc5.jpg

OK so that's all I can think to list any other info you need I forgot to list please ask. Remember any advice would help! I really want to play
Medieval 2 Total War and Empires when released.

Sorry I sound like a 12 year old but I haven't kept updated with PCs since the Pentium 3. At least I got a decent camera to take some pictures so you guys don't get too bored. :lol:

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Quite a nice system to pick up for free!

The Raptor is a fast dirve for operating system and games, the second drive is for storage of music, movies, etc.

I was able to run the Medieval 2 Total War demo on my machine (Athlon 64-3000, 2Gb of RAM and a Geforce 6800) so you should have no trouble at all.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
That computer should be able to smash everything you throw at it... it's a nice workhorse. The drive speed refers to access times, drive capacity isn't tied into speed at all.

stevesy710

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
hmm sounds good I might go buy the game later tonight anyone else play the game and have some more specific examples for me as in settings and their specs

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I just got the game sunday, and I play it maxed out and experience no slowdown whatsoever.

The only thing of mine thats better than yours is my processor(some may see that as a matter of opinion). You should be able to rape that game.

E6750 @3.0ghz
nvidia 8800GT
2gb ddr2 800
sb audigy2

Out of curiousity what on earth did your brother upgrade to? The only thing on there I may have done is got a better proc, and maybe added another GTX if I felt even that was necessary. As it stands the only thing ive had difficulty running at my monitors native res(1024x1280) with the highest detail settings is crysis.

So basically you should be good.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

Nice family!

stevesy710

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
thanks alot everyone bought the game going to install it later when i hav etime. oh tsd16 I talked to him on the phone about it
He's using:
qx9650 core 2 extreme processor can't remember how fast he said it was maybe like 2.5 or like 2.7 I know it's the qx9650 core 2 extreme though

4gb of ddr3 1600 ram
two of nvidia 9800 gx2 model linked together
don't know about sound card or hard drives

mi1ez

Splendid

Christy!

I want me one of those!