i am set up as an administrator but when i try to back up
just files and settings it sends error message invalid
path or not enough access, can anyone help would be great
i. i had windows xp home before and for some reason under
system tools there was no back up facility and yes i did
lose my work, i not sure what to do with that software
but i now have xp pro and thought backup would be easier,
but still won't happen! thanks piggy

Create a folder for your backup files on the backup drive. Follow the back-up
wizard's instructions.
Read the EULA for your XP Home edition regarding transfer of owenership.
BTW, the back-up program is available in XP Home, but you must install it
from your installation disk. Read page three here:
http://www.myscacc.org/Newsletters/0409News.pdf

"piggy" wrote:

> i am set up as an administrator but when i try to back up
> just files and settings it sends error message invalid
> path or not enough access, can anyone help would be great
> i. i had windows xp home before and for some reason under
> system tools there was no back up facility and yes i did
> lose my work, i not sure what to do with that software
> but i now have xp pro and thought backup would be easier,
> but still won't happen! thanks piggy

I'm very new to this thing - so please excuse errors or omissions. I have XP
home and was notified about the SP2 which when I went to download I was told
I should backup my files before downloading. To abbreviate - no back utility
- found how to get it - installed it ----- but now I can't find out how to
backup. I went to Admin Tools - Computer Management and found my way (through
the Action help menu) "backing up data - WMI repository". There was also a
choice of "backing up files and information - managing disks" but this did
not help. Now my real question is do I need to back up my data or can I just
copy stuff to a CD-RW periodically; what is the value of backing up my system
(if any) in XP; do I need to worry about it at all and just download SP2
regardless (I've been to your newsletter - thanks Chuck, I'd already found my
way through the Windows maze to install the backup utility, wish I'd found
you before :) ) If I need to back everything how do I do it?

Sorry for being so wordy, was hoping to paint as big a pic as poss.

PS I've been around computers for a while but I'm pretty bad with some of
the techno jargon - plain language please

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

> Create a folder for your backup files on the backup drive. Follow the back-up
> wizard's instructions.
> Read the EULA for your XP Home edition regarding transfer of owenership.
> BTW, the back-up program is available in XP Home, but you must install it
> from your installation disk. Read page three here:
> http://www.myscacc.org/Newsletters/0409News.pdf
>
> "piggy" wrote:
>
> > i am set up as an administrator but when i try to back up
> > just files and settings it sends error message invalid
> > path or not enough access, can anyone help would be great
> > i. i had windows xp home before and for some reason under
> > system tools there was no back up facility and yes i did
> > lose my work, i not sure what to do with that software
> > but i now have xp pro and thought backup would be easier,
> > but still won't happen! thanks piggy

The NTBackup program that ships with XP is essentially useless for crating
full system backups. For starters the version on the XP Home CD can't even
create an ASR, it can't save directly to CD, it can't split large files -
little wonder Microsoft elected not to have it installed by default on XP
Home. If you have a second hard drive or a tape drive then the version on XP
Pro has some utility. You should look at third party software.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"piggy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am set up as an administrator but when i try to back up
> just files and settings it sends error message invalid
> path or not enough access, can anyone help would be great
> i. i had windows xp home before and for some reason under
> system tools there was no back up facility and yes i did
> lose my work, i not sure what to do with that software
> but i now have xp pro and thought backup would be easier,
> but still won't happen! thanks piggy

Hello

I'd recommend that you get Norton Ghost to image your hard drive as a backup.
It's very simple to use and probably will take you 30 min instead of 2 DAYS.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com