SC:Forged Alliance Weird Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifter25

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I'm about done trying to figure this out, but I have been having serious issues with this game. I love it to death but when it does this I am at the end of my rope. When playing SP Campaign, it runs excellently with everything on it's highest settings. When I play it MP OR in SP Skirmish it runs fine for about 5 minutes and then does a massive slowdown. Now, it isn't the frame rate. The game itself sets the gamespeed to -5 at the highest, and fluctuates between -5 to -7. I thought it might be the settings, so I turned everything to their lowest settings and it still did it. I thought it might be the internet, but that wouldn't explain the issue appearing in skirmish games also. This should not be an issue as I'm running off a Mac Pro Dual Core 2 Duo's 2GB and an X1800. ANY help would be pretty awesome. Thanks.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i say leave it about 24 hours before posting back - have you tried minimising the game when it slows? slightly odd suggestion but it might clear the ram or something....

Garbar

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
It a problem with supreme commander forged alliance optimization with ram usage. it doesnt use all of your ram, only about 65%, and I have been searching the internet for some time to fix it but no luck. If you find anything, message back.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
supcom pretty much benefits from quad cores, might have too much stress on your CPU? i also wouldent recommend running high end games on a laptop with highest setting...especially in multiplayer when in about 5 minutes people have a bajillion units on the field, thats alot of stress on your computer

gliff159

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
im having this problem as well, running windows 7. got an i7 920 OCed to 3.0 Ghz and 12GB of ram game works fine untill about 30 min in then it slows to a crawl. i alt+tab out to look at task manager and its not even using 30% of overall CPU i may need to get the over 3GB ram fix and see if that helps

Zaelix

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with a Core i7 3.07gHz, 6 gigs of ram, and an 896mb graphics card. Its a desktop. I get the same slowdown, and I KNOW it isnt a lack of ram or processing power. 64bit operating systems can use more than 3gigs of ram effectively, thats only the effective limit of 32bit OS's. I know the topic is old, but Im hoping someone might know at this point how to fix it.

6MajinVegeta6

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Supreme Commander FA is only 32bit. Unless there is a 64bit compilation running around of which I'm not aware. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, but the game runs as 32bit (of course). I'm not sure RAM limitation plays a large role in this games performance. Sure, having a system running less than 2GB is going to cause major swapping and most likely a game slow down. But with current budget systems coming with at least 2GB of RAM and any serious gaming machine have more, RAM should pose little issue here (unless we're talking about the per program RAM limitation imposed by 32bit Windows OSes). The main limitation with this game is it's CPU usage or rather lack of proper usage. If you look for the program "Core Maximizer" you should find the site with the forum were the author goes into details about this issue. At this time, we're only a few months away from SupCom2. Let's all hope Chris Taylor get this one right. There are far more quad cores on the market these days, and with 6 and 8 core CPUs on the horizon there should be no excuse for it not to taking full advantage of the available CPU power in current and future CPUs. (Better late than never for post.... right?)

6MajinVegeta6

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
My post was more in response to Zaelix. The person seemed to wonder why the usage of a 64bit OS did not change anything or help at all. I did read your post, but I just have not exxperienced the memory issues that you described.

Also, where are you getting your information about Supreme Commander 2? A quick look at the main site should suggest otherwise. In a video, Chris talks about SupCom2 taking advantage of cutting edge technology, running on older hardware, and being able to run on more hardware than ever before.

upon17

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have also noticed that nasty slowdown, its gets quite aggravating after like 4 minutes of it going at less than half speed...its like watching grass grow...i have an amd 9600+ quad core and it still does this for some reason...I also have 4 gigs of ram, but from what i hear and from tests the ram isnt the issue...at least i think...but before i had this on windows xp with 2 gigs of ram and it was still doing this, still the same processor, i havent overclocked it because i dont really like overclocking my computer. But anyways now i have windows 7 and it still doesnt run normal speed after a while. whether the gadget on the desktop is accurate or not, it says my first core is running at like 99%. cores 2,3 and 4 are running at around 30-40% average throughout the game, right when i start or after 2 hours. Its still the same. Anyone have any suggestions? besides purchasing a new cpu...

6MajinVegeta6

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I moved up to a quad core 9400 OCed to 3.2GHz. While this CPU certainly improves the playability over the dual core 7500 at 2.93GHz it still lags with large unit counts. Just now finished a game with 4 AI with 1000 unit cap against two players. Max would be 6,000 units, but I know I only had about 500-600 mx and my team mate probably maxed at 250-300. My team mate has an i7 920 at 3.4GHz with a 260 well above mine. The game slowed considerably with similar results Core 1 maxed and the other 3 around the 30-50% mark. we were both using core maximizer but it does not appear to completely balance the game threads for full 100% usage of the quad core.

In case anyone was wondering we had our a_ses handed to us this round. The end began with incoming Aeon rapidfire artillery and ended with nukes. 3 Adaptive AI and 1 turtle AI on a team vs 2 players on a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.